Soccer on Canadian TV pt. 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gordon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Continue discussion here.

2. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Original thread here.

3. willb2064

willb2064 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    This sounds positive. I certainly missed the pre-match, half time and post-match analysis of each game that the UK receives last season when I was watching on Sportsnet. In the UK I'm pretty sure there are only 2 ad breaks at half time though, but last year on Sportsnet there were 3.

Does anyone know if Setanta use the Sky broadcasts from the UK, or do they have their own commentators?

It's a shame that we can't get Match of the Day over here. Alan Hansen is a class above every other pundit on tv.

4. Weakerthan

Weakerthan New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Winnipeg
    I suspect they cannot have anything like that since they don't have a license from the CRTC. From what I understand, Setanta International Sports Pak (for the time being, anyway) is just a PPV package. If and when they obtain CRTC approval for a new channel (Roger's, Setanta's Canadian partner) has a hearing at the end of the month for a Rugby/Soccer station, so at that point I think you can expect to see a fuller schedule with News programs and weekly highlight shows and such.

5. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    ManUtd,

try the forums at www.digitalhome.ca . There is a forum there for Cogeco, much as there are ones for Rogers, BEV, etc and for Sports Programming. They discuss new channels, scheduling, ordering, rumours etc...

there is a post there in a thread called Setanta on Cogeco at http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67821 that says this...

Cogeco is currently in talks with Setanta regarding the details of launching this new channel to Cogeco subscribers. We recognize that this new premium digital sports channel will be welcomed by many Cogeco subscribers. We also recognize that the English Premier League starts on August 11th, however, we will not be able to offer this channel to Cogeco digital subscribers before early September due to technical and contractual reasons.

6. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    Also to the Shaw subscribers... congrats, thought you were gonna be screwed for a good while.

7. longelf

longelf New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Owen Sound
    Hi Guys

I've been watching this thread for a while now, thanks to everyone, especially my fellow Spurs fans, for all the info.

Just wanted to pitch in here ... I'm on Rogers, and channel 429 is still showing the old PPV feed for me, so I went on to Rogers' site and checked the programming - sure enough, in Ottawa channel 429 is listed as Setanta where I hear people have the feed now. So I check for my area ... it still says it's a PPV channel. Looks like not all Rogers regions are getting it yet.

I hope they get it sorted out in time for Saturday, otherwise words will be said to Rogers, especially by my girlfriend. She needs this more than me, and I'm the Englishman!

8. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    New member and first post - found this from the discussion on Digital Home.

I've been in constant email contact with Shane at Setanta and his latest report this morning was that they were still working on a deal with Shaw which he hoped to complete soon. Not sure if he was being coy given the announcements that Shaw is going live tomorrow.

Also, with respect to FSWC will it be carrying the full FA Cup like last year - wondering if it is worth keeping as that would be the only thing I watch on it now

9. willb2064

willb2064 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I received a similar email from a Setanta rep this morning. I am hoping the deal has been completed and just hasn't been officially announced yet (that is my impression reading the posts on here). As long as it's sorted by 4.45am on Saturday morning I'm ok with it :)

10. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed!

11. njligernj

njligernj New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Someone in the old thread was asking about full-screening the broadband. I just double-click on the picture and it goes into full-screen. If you can't do that you might need to update your software. I was having trouble full-screening video on another live streaming site but once I updated Flash and everything I could full-screen away. So that might be the problem for some people ... or not.

Just curious, some of the people worried about their cable providers not having Setanta, are you not interested in the broadband? I'd rather watch on TV (so I can PVR stuff) and hopefully Eastlink will get it at some point but until them I'm pretty happy to be able to see the games in some fashion. Once (or if) Eastlink pick it up I'll certainly cancel broadband and get it on my TV but until then broadband seems good.

One thing I noticed today after I subscribed was that there is a "Broadband 2" stream which appears to be showing Everton-Wigan live. It's on delay on the main channel but the guide says it'll be live on 2 for people (like me) who'd prefer that game. Pretty cool -- showing two games live is something even the TV version wouldn't be able to do.

12. thisisinternetclash

thisisinternetclash New Member

May 28, 2007
    Two quick questions for any kind souls who are privy to their answers:

Will the FA and Carling Cups be shown on any channel in Canada this year, and if so, which?

Will Setanta launch with a free preview on Bell Expressvu?

Also, a bit of new info: I've just checked the programming menu on my Expressvu, and Setanta will launch on channel 420 at exactly midnight, Saturday AM, if anyone wasn't aware. They'll be showing Spurs-Sunderland, Bolton-Newcastle, then Villa-Pool. They'll be showing Aussie Rules and Rugby from midnight until when the soccer starts. It also lists Premier League content (to be announced) starting at 5:30AM EST, two hours before the first live match.

13. willb2064

willb2064 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I only realised a couple of days ago that Sportsnet didn't have the rights this year, and I have considered broadband, although I am a little sceptical about it (reliability, quality etc). I don't know a huge amount about it so my concerns could be completely unfounded, and I haven't really researched it ata ll. It would be a pain to order it though only for Shaw to announce that they are carrying Setanta and to have to cancel in the space of a few days. I'm just hoping it will be sorted before the weekend.

14. ViLFC

ViLFC New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    thisisinternetclash,

I could not find the schedule for canada anywhere on the website. I found it on other websites but not on the official one. Could you please post the link?

Thanks

15. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    WillB and TheFly

Hmmm... copy pasting a post from Bill Currie, who is pretty reliable, on the Voyageurs website ( www.canadian-soccer.com ) at thread www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13298 .. i certainly hope its true and i'm sure it is as best of his knowledge

Hi,

While most of you may know me from the Whitecaps Stadium Friends of Soccer
    campaign, I think it's worth mentioning that I also happen to work for Shaw
    Cable. As a massive soccer fan, I'm really pleased to let you know that Shaw WILL be
    carrying the new Setanta Canada channel as of Friday, August 10. If you have
    a Shaw Digital box at home, you should be able to watch all of the EPL games
    this weekend.

Setanta Canada will be available in most of Western Canada on channel 154 or 138.
    It will be available as a FREE PREVIEW until September 8. After that, it
    will cost $14.99 - similar to what it costs in the U.S. Beyond the Premiership,
    the channel will also feature games from the Coca-Cola Championship, UEFA
    Cup, Carling Cup, Euro 2008 qualifiers & International Friendlies. Rugby
    Fans will be able to see the Rugby World Cup, Six Nations, Tri-Nations, NRL and more.

Shaw did this mainly because of your phone calls. A lot of effort went into making Setanta
    available to viewers on short notice, and technically it's no mean feat to get a new channel on the air within days of its inception. Shaw should be able to take orders for Setanta as of
    this weekend.

16. venegoor

venegoor New Member

Jun 21, 2007
  17. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks Kibby - very good to hear. I presume that since it is a free preview for the first month we don't need to do anything to get the channel and the quote above about taking orders would be after the preview ends.

Also, as an aside, I've found Setanta very responsive with questions etc. A few weeks ago I emailed them from their site (just filled out a form). Was supprised to receive an email back within 30 minutes answering some of my questions. Since then we've been trading a few emails a day on the subject of Shaw and others. The person emailing me was Shane
    O'Rourke who I since learned was the president of North America operations. Very unheard of imho.

18. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm currently watching a free preview of Setanta on channel 429 on Rogers (1 up from goltv), says it goes til Sept. 10th. Man Utd is playing Man City with Schmeichel in goal and Kevin Keegan coaching Citeh :D.

thisisinternetclash, how's it going mate? (checks to make sure my sername is same as f365)

19. spurs1961double

spurs1961double New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Hello Clash... also thefly (welcome)

Has been a busy week of 'posts' here, so not sure if anyone has replied to your questions.

Setanta has the rights to Carling Cup (as advertised on their website, and as confirmed by Shane O'Rourke, President of Setanta North America, in an EPL Talk interview of August 6).

It's believed that Fox Sports World Canada has the Canadian rights to the FA Cup for 2007/08. That has been confirmed by two contributors here. However, we try to provide written proof (emails, media releases etc.) to confirm facts, and I'm not sure if we have that yet. Maybe someone can verify.

In terms of Bell ExpressVu preview period, the answer is yes, although I have yet to see a press release with the extended date. Maybe someone can oblige if they have seen one. It's believed to be September 1, but that is conjecture.

20. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
  21. Reacharound

Reacharound New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Calgary

channel 154! harsh... when I look at my listings on the TV, I'll be able to see GolTV at 151 showing "Match Capsule:" of a German or Spanish match from 10 months ago, for the 100th time, or living legends... up against whatever this channel is showing (with the fishing channel in between)

I wonder what they will come up with for Canadian content, that schedule only shows the live matches, so lets hope its not reruns of the same nonsense over and over again throughout primetime.

22. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Kibby, thanks for your update and information for those who have had a really hard time of it this week. Tremendous news.

Worth noting that this Forum thread, which is now at the start of its 'second' life, has had over 23,000 views during its time, and 480 posts (a large number of them in recent weeks) since Samsonite started it in August of last year. There has been some useful and critical information relayed by everyone. The Forum is also being quoted by other soccer forums and Blogs.

As Kibby says, a solid voice in lobbying carriers and the like goes a long way to being heard and getting action. Hats off to Shaw Cable for coming through at the last minute.

For those who are new contributors or just viewing these recent posts, perhaps go back to Soccer on Canadian TV (the original) over the last two or three days - some useful information on who is carrying what, who has the rights to what, and what challenges remain for some soccer fanatics across the country. Especially, an email campaign to Videotron in Montreal would be appreciated. Takes just a second. Simply ask when they are going to get on board : address is - serviceclient@videotron.ca

If any other cable companies need to be lobbied, just post an email address here. There is no need to indicate to the cable carrier that you are not a subscriber. Let's continue to help and support those who have been shut out so far!

23. willb2064

willb2064 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I just received this email from "Jessica France" sschannel@setanta.com at Setanta:

Hi, there, I literally JUST got word that we are launching with Shaw starting Sat Aug 11. So pass the word on!

24. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Willb, the only news I am aware of (in print) is that Desmond Lynam (ex BBC, ITV) will have some part to play in Setanta's broadcasts.

25. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    And that schedule, Taoism, contains just the LIVE games! The delayed ones aren't included as yet.