Soccer Magazines (was "Don't whereelse to post this but")

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by LDG20, Oct 14, 2007.

1. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Which magazine is better?

fourfourtwo or 90 minutes soccer

2. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Don't whereelse to post this but

I recommend going with 442, but it does depend on what you want to read about the most.
    442 covers global soccer. I took alook at 90 mins and it seems they cover American soccer. I subscribe to 442 and their reporting is really excellent. They actually did a feature at one point column called more than a game. Every month they would look at different derbys from around the world, not just the well known ones but the lesser known ones. That was good read and an example of what you get in 442.

Simont

3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Re: Don't whereelse to post this but

I would say that it depends on what you want in terms of coverage. I subscribe to Champions Magazine (if you subscribe via a link on the UEFA home page or just google Champions magazine UEFA, you'll find the link) you will save a few dollars. Clearly the focus is Champions League football, but the coverage tends to extend beyond the CL. And even the stories about the CL are more than just reviews of games. For example, there was a great piece a few issues back about Western European teams playing in Soviet countries and how fears about spying affected the Western teams. They also had a great piece about the role of the #10 in the modern game. Some of the pieces feel like a total waste of space (the Top 50 footballers) but to be honest that kind of move is standard in magazine publishing (or at least UK magazine publishing) but it doesn't excuse the move (esp. when the magazine has so many thoughtful pieces). So, if you are interested in European club football more generally, you should check it out.

The other magazine I would recommend is When Saturday Comes. They mostly focus on the UK (and England especially) but also write about football in other countries. The writing is thoughtful and engaging and only one time have they run something that I thought was truly ridiculous (a piece about news coverage of John Terry's wedding--so they were blasting tabloid coverage with coverage of the tabloids).

I haven't read 90:00 but I did get the sense that most of the coverage was about US soccer, which doesn't interest me beyond the men's NT. 442 is too tabloidish for my tastes. Too many glossy pretty boy photos, Q&A that is loaded with useless info. and stories obsessed with hooliganism. I do like the historical stories they run (one about Brazil's 82 team and one about Steau Bucharest stand out).

My two cents for what it's worth.

BTW I would have called the thread: Football Magazines. You might have got more discussion that way. Maybe a Mod could tack the title on.

4. phantomDude

phantomDude New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Don't really like FourFourTwo, I think it's very sterile and air-brushed. It's like in-flight magazines - bland and inoffensive and quite boring. It's pretty expensive too. That said, I liked it about ten years ago. I'm not sure if it's because I've matured (hah!) or if the actual editorial policy of the mag has gone down the flusher that I've revised my opinion of it.

FourFourTwo looks great and glossy, but it's a case of "fur coat nae knickers" imo.

5. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    442 has much more material in an issue than 90 minutes. I like 442 better, it has some humor in it, typically some good interviews and is excellent at helping understand the history of soccer. Doesn't just cover this season, but I think every issue will have an article or interview that deals with the past.

90:00 is something like half the price of 442 and is more focused on US soccer. The articles tend to not be as interesting to me, but it's not bad for the cost of a subscription.