Soccer just won’t sell in U.S.

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by truthandlife, Sep 17, 2003.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  2. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Even the NFL was, at one time, a niche league.

3. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah, and back in time we all started as a single cell...

Evolution, my friend, evolution...

4. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Precisely. The author of the above article has severely failed to notice reality -- MLS attendance is growing. Slowly, indeed, but it's growing nonetheless.

And MLS is doing a decent job of making fans of the millions of youngsters on the pitch today. Before long, those youngsters will be adults buying tickets of their own.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious why this thread is in the WUSA forum.

6. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    didn't read article

I guess you didn't read the article.

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LoPresti is a notorious soccer basher who usually writes about bowling, NASCAR, wife-beating gridiron football players, etc. Ignore him.

Here's a comment I made on NAS about the article:

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: didn't read article

Yeah, it was an article about soccer as a spectator sport in the US, in general. Shouldn't be here.

9. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Re: didn't read article

Always have to come on threads even though you are wrong and act like you are right. Just admit that you did not read the article originally until I pointed it out.

Who made you boss of this forum? Do you act this way all the time on this forum, a "know it all." Do you think just because you have over 7,400 posts that everybody is going to bow down to you?

10. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Re: Re: Re: didn't read article

Dear Republic of Texas' resident:

Don't be so hard on Superdave. We have enjoyed one too many of his posts. And to write that many isn't that easy.

We are beginners in comparison to his "soccer fanatic virtues.."

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that anyone should be worried about an article like this. As one person pointed out here, every sport that we have here STARTED on a small scale. just 25 years ago, despite numerous championships by a Boston Celtic franchise, NOONE watched basketball seriously. my older friends say that you could walk up to an arena during the finals and buy a ticket at the door. A few years later with Bird, Magic, Erving, and later Jordan & Co., people were tripping over themselves to get to regular season games. This is a building process, and anyone with normal common sense did not expect this to happen overnight. The reason the WUSA failed is the same reason that the WNBA would have failed years ago if not for the NBA paying their bills ............ men, who control most of the money in this country, WILL NOT WATCH WOMENS SPORTS. Therefore, potential sponsors won't put their money into womens leagues, and the leagues will fail. It's happened over and over again, and nothing has changed. MLS will survive, and will eventually flourish.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Further proof of this statement was in the press today...ConAgra Foods withdrew its sponsorship of golf's Skins Games. The move is not expected to affect the men's Skins Game or the Senior Skins Game...however it does put the Womens' Skins Game in jeopardy as ConAgra had been the Womens' Skins Game's title sponsor.