Soccer in the history

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by napolisoccer, Mar 27, 2006.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In what nations of the world , the soccer was the most popular sport in the years before of the First World War?

2. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
  3. #10striker

#10striker New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Argentian, Uraguay?

4. austinsm11

austinsm11 New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Hey guys, I need some help here.

I have been debating a guy who has basically done nothing but trash soccer and the world cup.
    His reasons for not liking soccer:
    1. Low-scoring (when I asked him if he would watch a higher scoring indoor game, he still replied no, so I don't think this was a legitimate excuse)

2. It is a trophy sport, all kids get trophies (isn't this true in most sports at the younger level?)

3. It is a participation sport where everyone plays (also, true in most sports at the younger rec. levels).

4. The US wasted their time running around for 90 minutes when they lost to the Czech Republic (my reply was, should they have just quit? Do teams that go down by 2-3 touchdowns or a grandslam just forfeit the game?)

5. The US doens't like soccer because they are not winners (what about the woman's team? Also, our American sports basketball and baseball teams didn't seem to fair to well recently)

6. His final argument is that the US is an advanced nation and has evolved from soccer into a higher class of sports. He found a soccer article by a financial analyst (great credentials) about the origins of soccer and it being a war game. I asked him to state his top 10 advanced countries in the world and tell me what their most popular sports are. Why is the US the only advanced country where the top 1-2 sports is not soccer?

Any help defending the history of the sport and sports in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    England, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Spain, Italy...

6. Kubala

Kubala New Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Torino
    In Italy, definitely not.

Sport became really popular only in the late Twenties/beginning of Thirties, and still "ciclismo" (is it cycling in english? anyway: bicycle races) was probably more popular until the beginning of Fifties.

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    1. If you counted each goal as 7 points like the NFL, then it would be magically higher. Also, the amount of scoring has nothing to do with the excitement of the game. A pitcher's duel in baseball, for example.

4. Haters love to talk about how it's "a bunch of running around and no scoring." What they fail to realize is that there is just as much tactics and strategy as any other sport. I'm sure your friend could name every player's job on every play in football, right? But when you're not familiar with soccer, you don't understand all that is going on and it may just look like running around.

6. Soccer is like the 4th biggest sport in Australia.

8. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Why before WW1 in particular?

Anyway: England, Scotland, Germany (remember the 1914 Christmas truce and the soccer game in no man's land), probably most of Europe as well except in places where cycling or rugby was more popular at the time (ie, France). All or most of South America, too; the sport was still young there, but it was the most popular, especially true in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay.

It gets confusing when you have to decide what is meant by "most popular" since things were still in a state of flux in some countries.

9. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    i n brazil soccer becomes popular in the early 10's, before that the most popular sport was rowing

10. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Soccer is the only team sport I can think of in which the entire team CANNOT play during the game. In baseball, American football, basketball, and hockey every single player on the bench can come into the game at any time, and can come back in after they have come out to rest (well, not in baseball... but in all the other ones). In soccer you can only make 3 substitutions and once you have left the game you are not allowed to come back in...

11. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    hi is talking about biotype, in soccer you can be short, tall, bigger, stronger or fragile and can play with equal chances to play good.

12. apostolo1

apostolo1 New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Newton, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    II guess it would be fair to say that these were the countries members of FIFA. Why would you be a member if soccer was not popular in your country? In 1914, or the year when WWI erupted, there were 20 members in Europe, 2 in South America and guess who?... the US.
    I think it fair to include the US too!!!

13. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Soccer was quite the popular sport in America before American Football started gaining ground in the Universities.

14. ajdjad

ajdjad New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Yellow
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. A soccer came lasts 2hr max which includes a 15min half time and a few minutes stoppage time. A football game lasts 3-4hrs with all the clock stopping and 4qtrs. Take away the scoring multipliers and the field goals and only count the touchdowns made in 2hrs and guess what the scores are the same.

2. You made your own argument. My reply. So what.

3. Again So What.

4. Your right. Just say the Czech Republic was ranked 2nd in the world and our guys played well against such a good team.

5. Our guys are winners! With little support or backing they managed to dominate the region (CONCACAF) and qualify for the World Cup 5 times in a row. Which is not an easy feat since 199 teams tried to qualify for 2006 and only 32 did. If you ask me being in the top 16% is pretty good. And your right about the recent "American" sports competing in the international arena. America should have dominated but they flopped miserably.

6. His beloved Football "evolved" from soccer. The only reason it is different is becaused it evolved in a vacume kind of like the Galapocos(sp) islands. Soccer came to the Americas from England at the same time it was just forming in England. We had the same arguments as england did. Hands or no hands, hince Rugby and Association Soccer developed in England. Well same thing happened here except Association Soccer was almost winning out until Harvard lacking competition for their hand rules played a team in Canada who played Rugby. The two rules morphed into Football. Then there was Football and Association Football in America just like Rugby and Association Football in England. Association Football soon morphed into Soccer (short for Association). That is why a game dominated by handling is called Football.

15. Lancealot11

Lancealot11 New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    St. Louis
    [5. The US doens't like soccer because they are not winners (what about the woman's team? Also, our American sports basketball and baseball teams didn't seem to fair to well recently)]

The U.S has very little fighting spirit if we can't succeed at something we just make up a sport we can succeed at so we can dominate it like putting Basketball in the Olympics or extreme sports in the winter olympics. Another thing is that we are not always the best at a lot of the sports in the olympics but a large part of our country still watch the olympic games. America sucks cause we have no passion for sports its just a hobby that people can pick up when their team is doing well and drop when they are not. So it says little about soccer being a good game and more about our culture.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Football is by far the biggest sport in the world. Literally billions enjoy the game every day, so there must be something to it. In other words, if your friend doesn't like football, and wants to miss out on all the fun, that's his loss. Football doesn't need defending, it's rather popular as is, with or without the US.

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Many sports were evolved from war games. I also read that rugby became a popular sport among the boarding schools in UK becasue the sport is good for military training and most of the upper class sent thie kids to the military at the turn of the century. I am not defending my own theory because I do not know the answer. I just want to say that many sports started out as some sort of war games.

18. John Simkin

John Simkin New Member

Jul 22, 2007
  19. Slater

Slater New Member

Correct. You will all find the best DVD Set here.

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    In Germany not until after World War I. The sport saw a huge rise in popularity during the 1920s.

21. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    By the end of the 19th century, football started to spread from England through the largest world harbours. As such, you have to imagine the shores visited by British merchant ships to see how the game has spread worldwide: Copenhagen (Denmark), Hamburg (Germany), Rotterdam (Netherlands), Le Havre (France), Bilbao (Spain), Lisbon (Portugal), Montevideo (Uruguay), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Eastern coast of the US. However, the game needed time from those cities to reach popularity at a national level.

Anyway, globally, the first nations outside England where football has spread were predominantly bordering the Atlantic Ocean. However, I don't believe soccer could be really considered as an international sport before world war 1. Even at the time of the creation of FIFA in 1904, the game was still at its pioneering age at the international level. It's really in the 1920's that things started to really get serious.

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Ironically, the sport did not take off in some of Britain's biggest colonies or former colonies, namely the US, Canada, Australia, and India.

23. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Correct. One could also add South Africa and New Zealand to the list.

Any idea what's the largest former British colony in which the this is the top team sport?

What are the leading theories for the game being successful in the UK and most of the rest of the world, but plays second fiddle in former British colonies?

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_European_colonies

British colonies:
    Canada, USA, Belize, Nicaragua(coastal area), Bahamas
    Barbados, Jamaica, Leeward Islands , Windward Islands, British Guyana, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (Sudan), Basutoland (Lesotho), Bechuanaland (Botswana)
    British East Africa (Kenya), British Somaliland (northern Somalia), British Togoland (eastern Ghana), Cameroons (split between Nigeria and Cameroon), Egypt, Gambia, Gold Coast (Ghana), Nigeria, Northern Rhodesia (Zambia), Nyasaland (Malawi), Sierra Leone, South Africa, Laccadive Islands, Maldive Islands, Mauritius, Seychelles, Aden Protectorate, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, South Arabia, Transjordan, Trucial Coast (United Arab Emirates), Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Fiji, Gilbert Islands (main island group of Kiribati), Hawaii, etc.

Nigeria is the largest former British colony where soccer is the top team sport. Indonesia is very big into the sport, but it is more of a Dutch colony.