Soccer City match day logistics

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by ibreak4coffee, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Will be staying in Melville and wanted advice on best way to get to stadium - I wont have a rental car, and time is tight - I arrive the same morning as the game, and hope to get back to the hotel early as I fly to Durban the next morning first thing.

I understand park and ride facilities are only open to those with a car, so that rules out Wits Campus - which I understand is the closest facility to Melville. So I wanted to take a taxi to Westgate and take the train from there to the game, but have heard on other boards I cant really return there as there are no metered taxis there and its impossible to arrange for one to pick you up.

Am I missing another option or will I be forced to go to Sandton and grab a taxi from there?

Thanks!

2. soczoo

soczoo New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have a car and could meet you possibly. Also a possible place to stay.

3. African Biohazard

Apr 16, 2010
    Johannesburg
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    I don't believe there is any evidence that Wits West Campus is off limits to people who walk in. I've done that twice already for the Sa vs Mex and the Arg vs Kor matches!

My advice as a Jo'burger is the following:

1) Walk to Wits West Campus from Mellville (about 20-30 minutes) and enter at the Yale Rd entrance (not the parking entrance at Enoch Santonga Rd which is for cars only)

2) If option 1 doesn't work (I doubt it) - then carry on walking through Braamfontein to Park Station (another 15-20 minutes walk) where you can get a train to SoccerCity

PM me if you need further help but please don't go all the way to Sandton ..that's just wrong!

4. nnk123

nnk123 New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I will appreciate any advice about the following logistics. I will be going to the games at soccer city on june 23,27 and july 2 - all evening 20.30 games. Staying in Kempton Park area. I was thinking about taking metrorail train from kempton park station to Nasrec - i see they have a few trains dedicated to this. Is this a good idea or i should think about other alternatives? Also, how safe is Kempton Park area late at night after the game - i figure i would need a cab from the train station to the hotel. Thanks in advance.

5. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Kempton would be a bit dodgy late at night - try and get a travel buddy. There will be trains - the problem is actually finding the right one else you will get one that stops at every station. If you can get the dedicated train then that would be your best transport option. I would say visit the station during the day - see if you can get info re the soccer train and also look at the surrounding area - maybe there is a hotel, restaurant or petrol garage close by that you could walk to to wait for a taxi - check whether they will be open late at night.

We wanted to take one to Loftus the other day - it must have left Jhb about 3 hours before the game!

6. nnk123

nnk123 New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks. Yes, trains seem to leave quite early, i am looking into these sites
    http://www.joburg.org.za/content/view/5308/168/1/3/
    http://www.metrorail.co.za/Timetables.html

As for area near Kempton Park station, isn't a big mall right there?