Soccer and other Sports

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by halfnelson31, Oct 9, 2003.

1. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    Ive noticed that some people on these boreds flat out hate other sports. I mean pointyball? helmet ball? what the *#*#*#*#? i love football, baseball, etc as much as i do other sports.

ps feel free to move mods

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only other sport I like is baseball. I love my Padres even though they are not all that great :D

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I love metropolitan sports. I love the MetroStars primarily not because they are a soccer team, but because they are a metropolitan team.

4. Can't stand baseball, basketball, hockey, auto racing. Can tolerate NFL "football".

And what type of sport is "screw those"?
    How is it played?

5. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I'd like to cast a vote for cycling.

I also don't mind college basketball.

6. aorig

aorig New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    the only tollerable sport on there is basketball. screw the rest.

7. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    I'm not form USA, but I like a lot Football, (Thanks ESPN).... I like Eagles, Broncos, Raiders, Giants, Bengals, Patriots, Packers and Panthers...... (A weird mix isn't it??)

mmmm.....And Baseball in the playoffs.... the games in that instance are played with more hearth... and are more interensting

NBA is only interesting for me in the Finals....

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only tolerate football, and that's only when I have nothing better to do. I really enjoy hockey to, it's hard hitting and fun to watch. I can't stand baseball, it's the same teams every year who compete, and don't say anything like the Cubs and Marlins, there are always teams that make a run for one season, look at the Padres when they made the series, or the Marlins in 97. It's also an incredible slow game.

9. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U of M football and the Red Wings, oh yeah. Other then that, I really only follow soccer.

10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share your pain...hopefully things will improve when they move to Petco....but I'm not gonna hold me breath. :(

11. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love watching baseball year-round, and the NFL too. I get more into hockey towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, and I pretty much only watch the Finals for the NBA.

13. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like all of them to an extent, but hockey is by far the best of the list and pro basketball is generally pathetic except for a few teams (ie Dallas, Sacramento, Detroit, a couple more)...no one knows how to shoot anymore :(, half of the league is in trouble for something, and the players don't care for the fans. All sports should have parity and a salary cap with loyalty exemptions IMO.

14. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    I'm not from Usa so I suppose I shouldn't post here, anyway just to add 1 hit to my counter ... :)
    In my personal hit-list, basketball is at the second place (guess the first!), I played it many years so I'm still a bit addicted to.
    Third place for ice hockey: nothing special it's not a true passion , just I see it when playing with ea sports nhl.
    About football & baseball, I can't understand these games: about cars, obviously I'm a Ferrari fan, living in Modena!

15. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    About new possible votes ... How popular is volleyball there? here in Italy we could say it's the 2nd/3rd sport, in tight competition with basketball.

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The GM Kevin Towers said this is going to be his busiest offseason ever. The Pads might get Greg Maddox and Matsui, so hopefully they will be the best in the NL West. Btw, I already hate "Chivas USA" and hope San Diego doesn't get it.

17. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'll watch Football, baseball, and basketball on rare occasion. I love hockey, and I enjoy all forms of auto racing.
    Hell, I'd watch curling if it came on regularly enough!

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lithium, You hate Chivas? Maybe you know something I don't, I'm pleading ignorance if they arrive here and supporting them whole-heartedly!

I'm so dismayed about the Padres now; yes, they are my team but goddamn is it hard. I use to go to at least one game a homestand, now I only like to go to see the Padres ruin the Dodgers' post-season hopes.

Actually, baseball has become one of my least followed American sports now alongside hockey (way too much moving aroung of players) until their respective post-seasons. I love the NBA and the NFL.

Once soccer fanatcism took root in my brain, I was forced to choose a sport to jettison from my skull: it was either gonna be MLB or NFL since soccer has taught me that I don't have to accept a minute pause between action in sports anymore. I was really close to ignoring the NFL until the pre-season started and I realized what makes the NFL great: the sheer violence of it is astounding.

So screw baseball. Besides, I'm so tired of the Yankees.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is baseball in Italy? It generally has been there with Holland as the best two European countries in the sport internationally, and MLB is apparently considering playing some games there in the near future.

Obviously it's not a major sport there, but it must exist to at least a small extent there.

20. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    These comments from a fan of ManU, the perenial powerhouse who duke it out with Arsenal, the only two probable teams in the Premiership? Come on.

And it definitely is not the same teams over and over. Its the Yankees over and over. The Yanks are the only team to consistently make the playoffs and do well. Marlins are a young team. Red Sox haven't won a World Series since 1918 and the Cubs haven't won a playoff series since 1906.

2 years ago, the Diamondbacks won the World Series. 1 Year ago, the Angels won the World Series. This year, neither team is in the playoffs. With the exception of the Yankees, MLB has some parity and then it has some sucky teams.... props to the guy who sticks by his Padres. Always good to see a fan who will claim his team even when they have the 2nd worst record in all of MLB. Seriously man, mad props to you. (I'm a D-Backs fan and it wasn't fun to see them go down this year. I can only imagine how D-Town and San Diego feel about their teams... or the Bengals for that matter....)

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Yankees are disgusting like that.

I'll tell you how it feels to be a Padres fan. Imagine you have a kid in junior high school, and even being generous to yourself you know he's somewhere in the bottom third of his class. Then one summer you tell him, "Look, you finish top 20 in your class this year and I'll buy you that XBox you've been crying about for months." And he says, "OK, Pops, I'll do ya one better. What if I finish in the Top 2 of my class this year? Will you promise to buy me an XBox and a new game once a month for the next five years?" And you're thinking, wow, my son is really gonna try this year and give it his all, why sure I'll agree to that!!!

And lo and behold, he makes 2nd in his class and you happily buy him the XBox and the game. The next year, he doesn't do too well, but that's OK, he'll rebound. The next year he does even worse. And the next year. And the next year. Meanwhile, he's got about 30 games now for his XBox, he's cutting 6th period all the time to smoke dope with the other kids in shop and you're thinking "How did I agree to this?"

That's kind of how it feels.

F the Yankees.

22. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    Holy crap, if that happened to you, I'm so truly sorry, but I'm LMAO right now.... that's friggin hillarious as a comparison.

23. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Amen. For me its the Red Sox then everything else. I'm slowly developing the passion for soccer that I have for baseball, but I do enjoy college basketball, the NFL (although I'm not a big Pats fan), the NBA and college hockey as well. It really pisses me off when people on these boards thumb their noses at other sports then wet their pants when anyone has anything bad to say about soccer.

Although I do have a harder time now watching the NFL after seeing so much soccer.

24. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I only like college football and I follow baseball as far as who sucks and who doesn't.

I decided to start watching more hockey this year b/c it's actually soothing in a way.

25. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    Yeah! I'm a Sox/Cubs fan right now. I'm pulling for both of them to hit the World Series. After that, I'd just like to see it go to game 7 and it to be close. (Being a D-Backs fan sucks this October....)

PS. Sox are up 2-0 at top of 2nd in Game 3 against Yankees! St. Pedro, do not fail us!