Soccer Aid

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewzer1308, Jul 26, 2004.

1. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    Is anyone bidding on the Soccer Aid jerseys?

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you referring to the silent auction on 21 August?

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerAid on Ebay

TheCrew.com press release

More to come in upcoming weeks, including a Tim Howard Man U jersey.

The winning bidder will not only receive the autographed jersey, but will also get two tickets to the Crew's game vs. Freddy Adu and D.C. United on Aug. 21, a "Soccer Aid" T-shirt, play a 30-minute game prior to the Aug. 21 game, and participate in a post-game reception with Crew players and staff.

Last year's Inaugural "Soccer Aid" consisted of 30 participants and raised over $13,000 for the Mid-Ohio Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Autographed Michael Ritch and Eric Denton shirts for $200.

Charity or not that's taking the piss.

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd pay $10 bucks for either one of those kits. At least it would be part of Crew history, but certainly not $200 or more worth of Crew history.

Stupid assclowns. This is so wrong, but I just can't support an organization so struggly tied to Greg Andrulis.

Edit: Point of clarification, by organization, I mean charity... but I do find it hard sometimes to support the Crew while GA is involved.

6. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    one jersey that is really worth it = Duncan Oughton !

7. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    $200 for a Mike Ritch jersey?

8. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I'd find it hard to pay $2 for a jersey right now. fewest goals for in the league it totally unacceptable. Join the Andrulis Out! campaign.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $200 for a jersey is one thing.

But winners get other stuff, like a chance to play a mini-game on the field before the DC game, tickets to the DC match, and money goes to charity. Some of these winnings bids are gonna be surprising.

10. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have club season tickets you get to play a game on the pitch too...a better investment than a Denton jersey.

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    They'll be the only winners at this club this season.

12. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    can we all chip in to pay for the termination of greg's contract?

13. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Krypto, all those other things are just worthless to most people. Especially any fan that lives out of Columbus and doesn't regularly make it to matches. Take me for example. I couldn't care about the rest of that crap, I just want the damn jersey. I'm not going to pay $200 or more for a Matt Jordan jersey that's never seen the pitch. Now I'd pay $200 for Stern John, but I think that one starts at $400, so that sucks too. They're a bunch of greedy bastards, screw charity. I don't have the money to give to charity, I'd rather pay my electric bill if you don't mind.

14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, is it true you can write some of the money off on your taxes? I'm not taxes savy, so I'm in the dark on the whole thing. But I know a guy mentioned that at AA a few months back...

I'd love to get Garyn a Paule jersey. Wouldn't cough up any money for any of the others...

What's the Herds one at?

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody at Alchoholics Anonymous was giving you tax advice? Next time ask him how I can call the liter of Plymouth gin I just bought a home office expense.

To "write off" a jersey as a charitable contribution you first have to itemize. If you take the standard deduction there's nothing you can do anyway.

If you do itemize, then you have to establish a baseline value for the jersey. Anything OVER the actual worth of the item is a chartable contribution.

Basically, forget it. It's gonna be a red flag anyway.

(I'm basically incommunicado. Somebody insult Coach Stupid for me. Thanks)

16. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh Bill I think you are underestimating some of the quality advice one can receive at an AA meeting. After all they are smart enough to stop drinking while realizing they have a problem. Now if Chelsey said she got tax advice from a whino...that's another thing all together.

Bill's right about how to receive a tax break though. We itemize for a number of reasons and I have claimed things like this as well as golf outings for charity in the past. There is a way to determine the value of the jersey but you'd probably have to ask a CPA or tax attorney. Charity golf events are great for itemizing though. Add up a typical round and a meal at the course and you have your value. Anything over that is usually tax deductible.

BTW did anyone notice that the only bid is for Frankie's jersey...no other bids yet.