SoB Ask the Elders - Summary/Feedback Welcome

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by CrazyUnionBox, May 19, 2008.

1. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AT 10PM tonight the elders have to decided to have the Sons of Ben Ask the elders night at the following address

http://www.sonsofben.net/Chat.html

I would like to ask for serious questions only :)

2. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Re: Sons Of Ben Ask the Elders 10PM

i can't get the chat app to work properly in firefox either. it works fine in IE though.

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks everyone for helping us test out some new technology tonight. Can you post your comments here?

I was booted a couple of times and dont know if it was just my cable modem or something from the chat server

4. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask the Elders Chat Feedback

If you participated in the "Ask the Elders" chat tonight please provide any feedback you may have. This was our first run with the new software so we'd like to know if you experienced any technical difficulties so that we can address them quickly for future chat session.

5. Fitz1422

Fitz1422 New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Horsham

great idea... few kinks with communication may have been my internet as well ... i had a few private chats going on with people which is great because I got to talk to dunfee and tommy ro bout some stuff when I would normally not be able to... provides another outlet of communication...

great start and good information

6. buca

buca New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Pennsport, Philly

only 10 pm is my bedtime....lol what an old fart!!

7. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was great chatting to you, too ;)

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Explorer, refreshing the screen booted you out. Not a big problem, but users should be warned before the next one.

9. Buckscounty Mark

Dec 6, 2006
    Quakertown, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no problem. I was using explorer but never refreshed.

10. ACCCsoccer

ACCCsoccer New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Ocean City, NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea. Just a few little technical burps. Beer and food seemed to be of concern to a great many people.

11. Chadisa

Chadisa Member

Feb 25, 2008
    South Coatesville,PA
    I think it was a pretty successful first test of the software. We had about 40 people in the chat room at any given time...not bad given the short notice,etc. I think what we will do going forward is make it clear before you log in and in the chat room itself that your questions may or may not be answered as it is up to the speaker. Also what I am calling short statements like just posting "cool!" won't be posted either. I know it's kind of a drag to not be "allowed" to post at your leisure but imagine if 40 people all were posting in 20 different conversations in the same chat room. We had to regulate it somehow so Bryan and the fellow Elders could keep up with everyone's questions.

I do think however we should run a contest next time for the most creative screen name.

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep the feedback coming guys. Ideally, this will be beginning of a frequently used tool for our membership

13. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was disappointed that no raaamone comments could go through :)

LEEBBA LOOBBA

I was in the room only for a short while but it is a great idea to keep everyone informed and to allow people another outlet other then BS.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one limitation in this format is that because the chat is live, the speaker gives short answers that maybe aren't as thorough as a canned chat.

15. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What may work is if everyone emails their questions in before hand. You spend the first half hour going over email questions then the second half hour will be open for people with follow ups and further discussions.

Maybe another way would be have the Q&A on the chat site then people can then open it up for discussion. This way someone who missed some of the chat is not asking the same questions over again.

16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with opening it up for discussion, removing the moderation of that chat essentially, is that a serious conversation can devolve into an argument or jokes between 2 or 3 people, essentially rendering the chat useless for the rest of the participants.

Especially if we really stress the system with 200 users for some of our upcoming meetings.

17. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA... I did not explain it well. I meant discussion as in the method used last night. Most people would be able to view the questions before hand and/or the elders could answer most questions without a lot of redundancy. So people could see the questions asked over email then use the method last night for follow up questions.

18. Chadisa

Chadisa Member

Feb 25, 2008
    South Coatesville,PA
    I think that we can get around that issue if the speaker knows that he/she can take as much time as they want to write out a complete response. I guess we will need to consider what type of chat this will become; a chat where the speaker answers as many questions as they can in the alloted time which may sacrifice length and depth of answers or a chat where not all questions are answered but the ones that are are thought out and complete. Either way is fine but the speaker and the audience should be aware of the goals of the chat. All in all though I think we can fine tune this pretty quickly.

19. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we can work it out on our end where multiple people can be answering questions so it looks like they're getting answered quickly.

20. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ask the Elders Chat Feedback

I was on using a Mac running Safari under Leopard.
    Absolutely no problems - very quick and clean, no drops or crashes, total compatibility.

21. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ditto.

/sales pitch

22. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

/commission from Jobs

23. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoB Phone-In? ;)

Seriously though, would a podcast be something that could be done? Maybe monthly or twice a month...

24. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    Since there are tabs at the top of the chat window why not have 1 room how it was last night and another room under sons of ben at the same time that is for live chat

25. Mario in SJ

Mario in SJ Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Missed the chat. I second Craybox's idea to have the questions come in ahead of time, post the answers then use the chat to allow follow ups and discussion.