So with Rivaldo apparently for sale and so many injuries...

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by bigtoga, Sep 26, 2003.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think ManUtd are a Ruud away from a disappointing season. If we lose Ruud this season to injury or bad form, & with the injuries to Scholes & Ole, I don't think anyone else can fill that void.

But is Rivaldo the answer? Makaay was available, & I think a better striker, but we didn't make a move for Makaay.

What really troubles me is that Milan just gave up on Rivaldo. Would it not have made better financial sense for Milan to sell him during the transfer period? Were there no takers then?

I saw some brilliant play from Rivaldo when he played for Barcelona. But they really didn't go anywhere with him there. And that's probably why there's a tag of "underachiever" around his neck.

2. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Yeah, that´s why he´s World Champion.

By the way, the regulation game is played with eleven people per side.

3. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    Re: Re: So with Rivaldo apparently for sale and so many injuries...

Exactly.

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Rivaldo is one of my most hated players in the world, and I am delighted to see his move to Milan go so badly (esp. since it was just for the money). Still, ManU need something creative... it'd be good to have him just to hold us over for this season

5. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Couldn't have said it better myself....oh wait, I did! ;)

6. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    That's been the press line of every article to come out since Becks left.

Of course, it was the same last season, wasn't it? Who did we have last year to "cover" for Ruud that we don't have this year?

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Smartass... nice job stopping Garcia & TO last week, btw... wish the Pack could've done the same with... the CARDINALS (ugh)

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I doubt it's that simple. I think Milan realized they can do well without spending $9 million a year on his salary (or whatever it is). I suspect he was froze out of the team altogether to help get him to move on. I've never been convinced that Ancelotti really wanted him there in the first place.

9. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    If they can't get by Detroit...well, its gonna be a long season (maybe hope for a losing record so you can draft a top quarterback for when Favre retires). Same thing for the Browns...they let Dillon run rampant. i don't know, I'm nervous.

10. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I think it that simple though - according to press reports. He has been "released" which means no transfer fees, deals, or anything else must accompany his signing. Foolish move by Milan if you ask me...

Rivaldo is quoted at RedNews tday (with no source listed):

Here's an article on yahoo with the full interview (which mentions Chelsea, Newkie, and Middlesborough but not Man Utd as possible suitors): http://tinyurl.com/oy33

11. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rivaldo staying at Milan for the mo

Football365 report:

Rivaldo has been persuaded to stay at AC Milan after holding talks with the club's general manager Adriano Galliano.

The Brazilian announced last week that he had been given permission to leave on a free transfer after a disappointing first year with the Rossoneri who he joined from Barcelona.

And although the club would have let him depart, coach Carlo Ancelotti and Galliani had expressed hope that he would change his mind and give Italian football a second shot.

Rivaldo could even feature in Milan's Champions League match against Spanish side Celta Vigo on Wednesday night following his about-turn.

"Rivaldo will stay with Milan and tomorrow he will travel with the team to Vigo," said Galliani.

Ariedo Braida, the Milan sporting director, told PA International: "Rivaldo will stay until December and then we will look again at the situation."

Dont count your chickens before they hatch but we could do with him, but after the Turkey game I dont respect him, and in that respect hes not the sort of player we(I) want at OT.

12. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Does anyone have a deadline-date on submissions for modifications to your CL roster? IIRC, the teams can submit three changes to the roster? If Rivaldo doesn't play in the CL for Milan and the roster changes are after he signs for a new club, he's likely to go to whichever EPL clubs have qualified for the next phase of UEFA CL, right?

If his playing in the CL is not possible, I'd guess he goes to Liverpool, Newkie or whatever ex-CL team that is needing help the most (read: will pay the most $$$). Make sense?

13. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadline was 31st August for CL. Cant see anything happening until transfer window opens.

14. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Was Aug 31 the *last* submission for the 3 player changes?

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Forlan? the unscorer of goals... my god, to potentially replace Ruud? I cant believe someone thought of this, and then had the balls, or was dumb enough to type this... No offense to forlan but Rivaldo will be a better striker than him for about 10 years.

16. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I cant believe someone thought of this, and then had the balls, or was dumb enough to type this..."

Notice that I used the word "flashes" and "potentially"

I am fully aware that it's often a FORLAN conclusion that he won't score.

I stand by my statement.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions, thats the whole point of this forum i guess, good comeback, Forlan Conclusion, needs to be used by commentary team... No hard feelings i hope...

18. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    He is free but I bet he is very demanding. Like when blanc came to Man Utd for free, we paid him hips. If you just want a player to cover the injuries, give the young players a chance.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is generally a good philosophy but he can play for scholes, giggs, or Ruud, that is damn near invaluable, because he would be a step up on scholesy, and the best back up for Ruud we would have, not to mention, the ability to get away from this god forsaken 4-5-1... and into some attacking football the way it should be played.