So who was the Lucky Couple?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Northside Rovers, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me starting a thread in your forum - but I have not seen who the couple was that did the cermemonial kick-off in their wedding day best. The guy in the tux was even wearing cleats.

Great idea. Glad the lady went along with it - course it coudl have been her idea. Great of DC Mgt to let them do that. I figured for sure it was someone who posts here - but I haven't seen it. What a thrill - and what a memory that day will be.

And of course, congratulations. Great game. Great crowd. One of the best MLS games ever. Good luck and to who ever that couple was - good luck to you. Very cool.

2. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    The gent is Dave Tyahla, a local soccer supporter who works for the US Soccer Foundation. The woman is his wife.

Dave has been actively involved in many soccer efforts, including the adult co-ed soccer league I help manage in the DC area. I think he's also involved in DC United's charity organization.

All around great guy.

3. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Darn, I missed Dave's wedding!

I got to my seat right at kickoff but saw the replay later at the postgame party.

I play, and ref, (typically not in the same game!) in mkpage's league and Dave has been something of a mentor since I started reffing 4 years ago. He was also our ref assignor for several years and a great guy.

So every bad call I've ever made was Dave's fault ;)

Congratulations, Dave!

4. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave is an all-around good guy. He's a board member of United for DC, and (more importantly) a Screaming Eagle. :)

I heard he left his reception to be at the match.

Kudos to Dave for keeping the right perspective.

5. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    As I understand it, they didn't actually get married at RFK but at another location earlier in the day (K was there) and came to RFK to do the ceremonial first kick.
    What an awesome idea!

6. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    hmmm, I play in CCSL as well....

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    They didn't leave the reception early. It only went until about 3:00 or so, ending with Liverbird, myself, and a few other of our Liverpool-supporting friends (Dave's a fellow Red) serenading the new couple with You'll Never Walk Alone. That's enough to put an end to any joyous affair.

8. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear it was his wife. ;)

9. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    They were married Saturday. Divorced Sunday. It was a one day deal :cool:

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool. I wonder if the honeymoon invloves a stop in Carson CA.

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    He will be at the because of USSF commitments. They will be going to Barcelona for their honeymoon shortly thereafter. And yes, they will be taking in at least one game.