So who was the idiot fan?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Ellison, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    Throwing beer and/or provoking Clint. Was it that *#*#*#*#*# Metrofever? Some of you are a real *#*#*#*#*#ing disgrace.

2. Inked AG

Inked AG New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Queens
    I wasn't at the game, but to that "idiot fan" Lemme buy you a beer! Clint is a has-been who needed to be brought down a peg. Though, I hope it was a flat beer. You wouldn't want to waste good alcohol on him.

3. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    yawn

4. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    don't know who it was, but whoever it was was being a fan. period.

clint hasn't scored in eons and if anyone is suppose to score its him. why shouldn't he get crap for it. though i completely disagree with the beer throwing.

verbal abuse i have no problem with. clint has had enought time to find his form.

5. comrade

comrade New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I hope you and whoever the coward was have a good time together. Clint's playing like ass, but throwing beer at players is beyond classless. I bet that "fan" wouldn't have the balls to do that to anyone who could actually get to him.

6. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Throwing beer at players is completely unacceptable!

However, throwing cheesfries at him would have been funny as fvck.

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the guy who Clint was yelling at didn't throw a beer, at least not in my view as I was standing behind him. The beers or whatever it was seemed to have come from further up. Either way, it doesn't matter at this point. Clint was wrong and should've walked away like a professional. And the fans who were screaming at him should've acted like fans and cheered for them regardless of the outcome. We got more important things to worry about like that little game on Sunday instead of who did what.

8. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    If I saw someone throw a beer at one of the metros (even kenny arena) I'd take a swing at him. Even if I would get my ass beat.

9. gabe

gabe New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    NJ
    why are you guys even asking... i think it is clear and obvious enough that the fan was :) ......................

Steve Bartman!

10. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    If I was Clint I would have smacked the fat off of him.

11. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    IT was him! It was the Warriors! I saw him!

12. Heywood

Heywood New Member

May 14, 2000
    Plainville, CT
    The beer thrower and the verbal abusers are not the same people. The beraters were down in the front; the beer thrower from a few rows up. The beer went no where near Clint...rather, it hit some guy in a suit. Some say it went near Gaven, but I didn't see that.

Ellison, next time we see each other in person, ask me who the berater was and we'll talk...because I know.

13. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    All I have to say is that if Clint were playing in any other league in the World -- he would have another thing coming to him. In most of the other leagues, this is common practice and all part of the pressure of a professional soccer player. I definitely don't agree with it -- but Clint needs to realize that the fans support his salary and they have a right to get upset when he doesn't produce (and for a long time) and if they say something rude to him -- he needs to be professional enough to blow it off. Not to mention, he is a representative of our US National team -- learn some maturity, Clint.

14. I check in here and read how it's all Clint's fault. The ESCer that did this is a disgrace pure and simple. Funny how the ESC has become an organization devoted to provoking its own players into League investigations and possible suspensions. There was a time when we'd have devoted that effort to the opposing players. Don't tell me what Clint was supposed to do. How about taking some accountability for our own organization? This was wrong of the fan. Thus far I have yet to read any official condemnation of his behavior or action taken against his membership rights by the ESC.

If it has been done by the ESC and I missed it, I apologize.

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Multitude of problems here.

Who saw the 'incident' happen, after all?

Who saw the person or persons involved, and could identify them again?

Who's to say he or they is an ESC member after all, and not just someone who wandered in?

Where in the ESC 'code' members sign does it say that they can't berate their own team members like this? I know I don't like it, but it's a gray area in which - look at the thread - not everyone agrees. You were there in 1999, and you know how many more supporters acted much worse towards our own players then, and nothing like this was talked about. Back then the atmosphere was poisonous for the last half dozen games of the season. This was frustration at the end of a hard playoff loss.

Who here has got the right to throw anyone out of the section like that, a week later and through some convoluted he-said/he-said process? It's one thing if this was some sort of illegal/racist incident, and people had unassailable evidence that it had happened - then between members and security we could make sure the guy couldn't get in again. But that isn't what happened.

Besides, as has been said over and over again - the ESC is guided by a handful of volunteers who work hard enough just to get trips and club events done, never mind being section cops or chastising pottymouths, as well.

There's practically no hierarchy, and very little structure, bar the structure necessary to make sure everyone's 10 bucks goes where it should go and bus guys get paid. That's what ESC heads do. Every time people have tried to bring up the subject of getting really organized, as in having club officers and a mission - hell, every time people have tried to get ESCers stirred up for anything, whether it be coming to NH's for away games or trying to discuss issues on the Yahoo list and make some headway, they've been greeted with deafening silence.

Maybe the ESC should simply drop the pretense of being a homogeneous group (has it been since the days of the Centaurs? Someone tell me) and just be a liason/advocate for the various and sundry individual supporters and mini-groups that stand in 101 or fervently support the team in other ways.

I'm just not down with blaming this on 'The ESC', no matter which way you look at it. Never mind that this whole thing is just a silly tempest in a teapot.

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yep, you got me. I was overwhelmed with too much MPF. :rolleyes:

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The fat loudmouth who was having a verbal guy with Clint was not a member of the ESC. He may be a member of ESC for the ticket discount..... but he certainly was NOT a true member of the ESC. Tow bottles of beer were thrown from the middle of 101, bout 10 - 12 rows up. They were clearly aimed at the NJSEA SUCKurity NAZI's. One was a successful hit, the other hit a Metro official in a suit (not Nick).

I was right above the tunnel along with some other ESCer's wishing the team better luck in Game 2 up in Foxboro. Several of the younger ESC folk were yelling at the fat loud mouth for getting Clint riled up. At this point 2 innocent ESC brothers were led away in a chain gang to the dungeons of Giants Stadium to join former ESC brother Jimmy Hoffa...

If there is an investigation regarding the rowe between Clint and the fat loud moth.... I demand to be questioned!! I was there.... I saw the entire thing develop, occur, and end... Otterulz was right behind me I think.

18. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

I'd be happy to call it such as well, were it not for this sick feeling I get whenever American soccer loses a touch of its innocence.

Sounds maudlin, sure, but it's true. All cuz of some fVckface fan who couldn't respect one of the Metros greatest heroes, a guy struggling to meet expectations which, post-injury, are probably beyond him. And still scoring 9 goals this season... and setting folks up for sure goals on the very night he tried to sign autographs for some kids...

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get where you're coming from, but this is professional sports, not an autograph session. I doubt very much Derek Jeter hung around outside the dugout to sign autographs after the Yankees lost a playoff game, or that Ruud Van Nistelrooy would do it if he was on a long scoreless schneid and failed to score in an FA Cup semifinal loss. It's harsh for those who hang on to that idea of innocence, but...get used to it.

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

My point exactly.

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point the ESC should police themselves or their section to avoid being labeled due to jerks like this.

22. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
  23. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close to being the same thing at all. If I understand correctly, a dead chicken is all about imparting a curse -- hence the strong reaction. (Alex Bellos book has a section on this.)

24. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    What did Romario do? The link doesn't work.

25. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I know that guilt by association is a bitch and all that, but the last sentence of your post does make one wonder if this really is acceptable behavior.