so who all went to ...

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by 12wizards22, Nov 16, 2004.

1. 12wizards22

12wizards22 New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Kansas City, KS
    the welcome home party? and what did you think about it?

2. amcwiz5

amcwiz5 New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Tucson/Overland Park
    I wish I could have gone!!

3. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A lot of the people in L.A. went to the post-game party at the players' hotel. It was good to shake all their hands and thank them for a great season. It was NOT good to hear the players say how different the team will be next year. The list of players that have no contract and no contract pending is frightening!

4. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went. Not enough other people did. People flowed in a little bit after 6, but at 5:50, it was frighteningly empty.

Overall, it was a good time. Lots of whiney kids there to get the autograph of their favorite players, but the players are all very gracious toward that. It was cute, though. Young girls had built elaborate cards to give to players. Grown women scrapbooked the season and showed it off. Show me another sport with this kind of community!

We heard speeches from Mayor Kay Barnes, Gans, Lamar Hunt, Guti, Tony, Zags, Jimmy, and Curt Johnson. Then we just mingled with the players.

It was fun, but it would have been nice to see more people there.

5. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there last night - in fact a co-worker just told me that he saw me on the news. Overall, it was a typical cheesy press event but I went because I was afraid that a lot of people would not go since we didn't win and, unfortunately, I think I was right. It looked like the crowd was mostly made up of people who had made the trip to LA and a lot of people with little kids, presumably because the time was not really conducive to getting people who had to work Monday.

As Stephen said the post game party in LA was better but you could tell there was justifiable unease about the expansion draft, contracts, etc. Partying with the team is something I will never forget...Taylor Graham will make you laugh til you cry. Brian Bliss made a hilarious comment around a couple of us that he feared would make its way to the BigSoccer boards...which he admitted reading from time to time. I was also amazed at how personable Davy was - and most all of the team for that matter.

Oh well, guess its time to get back to the daily grind. At least I'll have memories to hold me over til next season.

6. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    couldn't make it myself. The wife ,kid and grandson still sick. I started feeling a little puny myself. Felt best to stay home and go to bed early. Wanted so bad to go to both Coaches and the welcome back party. Saw somee highlights on 38 the Spot. They had a 2 minute interview with Tony and he said he wanted to play for more years in KC to make it a even 20 years in the league. Didn't see the 10 oclock news.

7. 12wizards22

12wizards22 New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Kansas City, KS
    it's good to here from...

people that went. i went myself and i loved what jimmy conrad had to say. he's always funny, even in the bad times. although it was kinda sad to see not that many people show up. it just goes to show who are the true supporters of the Kansas City Wizards.

8. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also nice to have Gans and Tony provide directions to get to Dallas, letting us know that we'll need them next year. The players looked pretty bored sitting on stage. Vuk looked like a deer in the headlights, but I suppose he is.

9. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there. Brought the wife and kids. I made the trip to LA too.
    I was surprised and not surprised at the number of people there... Had we won, there'd have been many more there for sure. But I wanted to go so they could see that they they did have support. I agree with Stu though, at the party in LA, it was more fun to talk to the players. Davy and Jewsbury... with Davy making fun of the dude that sung the National Anthem at the game. Tony talking about how it was the worst week of his soccer carreer and even throwing NY out there as a team interested in him. Lots of fun.