So...what are you reading (Vol VI)

Discussion in 'Books' started by chazsoccer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Thunder-Times-Robinson-Borzoi/dp/1400044979/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292072090&sr=8-1"]Sweet Thunder: The Life and Times of Sugar Ray Robinson [/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Voice-James-Kaplan/dp/0385518048/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292072201&sr=1-1-spell"]Frank: The Voice [/ame]

Interesting the similarities in their lives. Both obsessed with class, status and ambition. Both took their craft to another level-often cited at the highest level one can aspire to in boxing and popular music. And both were dogged about their draft status during WWII. Reading these two books at the same time made think about the whole, "Greatest Generation," ideal. There's a film or book there-not everyone was like Bob Feller, running to enlist. I'd like to see someone go back an work that territory about the ambivalence some in that generation had about serving. There's more to it than being classified as, 4F.

2. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Sheri S Tepper Singer from the Sea

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a list of about 7-8 books I want to read over winter break from school and this is the first on the list:

[​IMG]

GEORGE CARLIN - LAST WORDS

4. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  5. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Got this and Bobby Charlton's My United Years autobiography from Amazon, since they were both so cheap. Arrived really early, too, so I was chuffed to bits. Just started reading it this week in short bursts; only about three chapters in at the moment, but it's still quite good.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Back to books about words, dictionaries, things like that. This one is a cracker by any standard, let alone for a book about the making of a dictionary:

[​IMG]

Henry Hitchings, Defining the World: The Extraordinary Story of Dr. Johnson's Dictionary

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    John McPhee-Coming Into The Country
    About 1970s Alaska. Pretty good.

8. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just starting:

[​IMG]

The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins - a look into the idea of atheism...

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Stalking the Dragon by Mike Resnick. A detective in a New York populated by goblins, trolls, gorgons, etc has one day to find a kidnapped dragon and get it to a competition. It has a few funny bits, but they tend to be used repeatedly. I might have enjoyed it when I was 12.

[​IMG]
    Downloaded Captain Burle by Emile Zola. It is poorly translated, but otherwise not a bad story. It concerns an army quartermaster who is the son of a war hero who has been embezzling money to finance his weakness for questionable women.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have that on my Amazon wishlist. If you own it, I wouldnt mind borrowing it.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Just finishing Gaiman's Fragile Things - thanks for the recommendation! It has been fun, and creepy, and thought provoking, and befuddling. Just right!

Getting ready to start this:

[​IMG]

Paul Murray's Skippy Dies, about the events leading up to the death of a teen at an all-boys school in Dublin who dies during a donut eating contest. I believe "tragicomic" is the right descriptive.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

For some reason, I have been reading all the Shannara books in reverse order and its been working for me.

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Sheri S Tepper The Visitor

14. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I own this one and The Greatest Show on Earth by the same author... and of course, mi libro su libro...

15. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Holy ! this is great!!!!

[​IMG]

These people are beyond Western imagination. I cant begin to recount the number of jaw droppers in this book. Its fantastic. And the shining capper is that, in one character, the Spanish Christians are at least as culturally insane.

16. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom. A comic mystery about a Londoner who takes a job as the librarian for a remote Northern Irish town. Upon his arrival things immediately start going wrong for the guy, most importantly he finds the library's 15,000 books have vanished and the City Council seem to think it is his responisiblity to find them without pestering the police with the problem. It has been quite amusing and a fun read thus far (about 60% through).

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read the first chapter or so - loved it, set it down, and then it was captured by the book gremlins. I'll keep an eye out for it at the used book store so I can start again.

19. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Just finishing up The Three-Minute Universe by Barbara Paul.

'Tis the season for some light, media-tie-in Kindle reading.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to Vietnam and Cambodia next month so I guess that's why I'm reading this....

[​IMG]

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Drawings From the Gulag by Danzig Baldaev

Drawings from a former gulag prison guard. He's also the man behind the Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia. While the RCTE was sanctioned by the Soviets, this stuff would've found him in the gulag himself. Fascinating and brutal stuff.

22. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I learned about that whole stuff from "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich"... it is worth a read if you feel up to dealing with the gulag again...

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yep. That's Gaiman! :)

24. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009