So we ARE running out of cheap oil?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by krolpolski, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So we ARE running out of cheap oil?

The utility companies can afford it. Once, in the early 80's or so there was a Florida Utility that decided to plant trees rather than build new generating capacity. The trees were planted in places that would naturally shade buildings and hence reduce energy costs. Electric rates went up to pay for these new trees BUT the rates went up less than if the electric company had paid for new generating capacity.

foosinho, I'm sure you can save a lot of money but my poorly designed house, for instance, has an electric bill of around $150/month. I spend more than that on gasoline for our two cars. The electric bill just isn't that high compared to TOTAL energy costs. I'm not arguing against what you are doing. What I am trying to say is that it's not a cure-all.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retrofitting existing structures can be expensive. Most people cannot afford it. But there are things that can be done - like CFL bulbs, fixing drafty windows, etc. I'm switching to Ni-MH rechargable batteries on a rotating basis (ie, as I need new batteries, I buy Ni-MH) to replace using regular batteries in wireless devices like remotes and my mouse. For me, this means if my new house ever does get to grid-independent capability, I would get "free" power in my remotes, too!

The biggest problem are that 99% of new homes going up are bigger and more wasteful than the old homes those families lived it. A big, comfortable home does not have to be so wasteful. Big windows on the north side of the house, unshaded windows on the south side (let in summer sun), poorly insulated, and shoddy construction to boot.

As for gasoline - yeah, I too pay more in gas for our two cars than I do in electric for my condo. My brother, on the other hand, doesn't own a car - he walks, rides a bike, or takes the El everywhere. I've considered trying to bike to work (tho it wouldn't be easy - it's not far, but there isn't a safe route not on major roads without bike lanes, sidewalks, or a bike path). Better public transit would help as well - there are lots of areas where public transit isn't a viable option. Better mass transit between cities would be helpful too.

BTW, solar is still too expensive. The capital expenditure is so large, and the panels so inefficient, that the payback period is often the lifetime of the panels to begin with. Not a good investment - yet. I won't be installing solar until it becomes economically feasible, but I will purchase electric appliances with that aim in mind, so I don't need propane or natural gas piped into my house.

3. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Re: Re: Re: So we ARE running out of cheap oil?

I am in the oil business, and yes we are going to "run out" sooner than later. By run out, it becomes prohibitively expensive to find and produce, but there might be a little left.

There is a great book on this called Hubbert's Peak. Hubbert was a Shell geologist who accurately predicted US reserves including our peak production year of 1970. Yes, we have produced less oil in the US each year since 1970.

He did this by looking at suitable rocks and current production and extrapolating statistically so that even if some big find is made (Prudhoe Bay, ANWR, etc) the numbers don't change much. They are part of his statistical model.

Some smart guys at Princeton applied his methods to world reserves and come up with a peak production year of 2003. Uh oh. They appear to be right. We are on the downhill side of the bell curve, with population growing I wonder if we will need to find another fuel? Soon.