So...Movie...Last One You Saw...Go. Vol XXII

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimen y Castigo, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I thought Sheen was pretty good as the pedantic douchebag as well, even though he was only in a handful of scenes.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    See, I'm doing these reviews to counter these stereotypes. Only 9 of the 30 films I've seen roughly follow your formula.

There is a kind of secret revealed by watching all the Van Damme movies. Taken as a whole, they form a movie on their own: the story of Van Damme's career. Derailed may have been a bad movie, but it is a necessary part of the overall story. The ambition of youth is followed by arrogance and the fall, which is followed by depression and survival, and then maturity, redemption, and rebirth. And the story is still going on. So you see, there had to have been a movie as bad as Derailed at that point in his career.

I really, really recommend that you see JCVD. It's surprising and unexpected. It will turn you into a believer.

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this on STARZ the other night. Simple and direct and highly diverting. Plus very nice performances from a bunch of kids, basically. No big effects, but a nice slice of inner-city London life + aliens.

Recommended.

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here...initially. But now I'm hooked and am really starting to rethink the whole Van Damme oeuvre. I need spejic's help on this one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYWVoJDhICg"]walnut crusher.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Is it reflexive or meta-reflexive? And why the glasses?

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Definitely meta-reflexive, and the glasses are key because they are the signal that it is meta-reflexive by being so obviously anti-reflexive.

The glasses imply that the figure is the un-idealized or "real" version of the ideal. But his one bragging point is one of the key features of the idealized Van Damme (his glorious and frequently-displayed-in-movies ass). So while Van Damme remains "real" within the universe of the skit, the audience realized the confluence of archetypes (movie Van Damme with glorious ass, off screen womanizing Van Damme, in-skit human with failings Van Damme) just as we realize that Superman with glasses is still Superman.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    But nobody else does. And that's why Van Damme has adopted such a successful disguise.

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Aside from the humour, I like spejic's reviews simply because it shows that there is an awful lot of pleasure to be found in what are traditionally regarded by many people as 'worthless' movies not worthy of consideration.

If I want to watch a movie that is generally regarded as 'good', I'll go to Metacritic. The thing I like about this thread is that people watch a lot of different types of movies and no matter how formulaic/B-grade/poorly acted they may be, they generally find something positive to say about them. If the good stuff is something I usually like in a film, I will often watch it even if it's a box office bomb that's certified rotten on RT.com. Thanks to this thread, I have seen and enjoyed a lot of films that ordinarily I would never have thought to consider.

As a result I am far more interested in one of spejic's brimming-with-positivity reviews about some blaxpoitation ninja flick than I am in someone wanking on about the flaws in the last Truffaut masterpiece they saw (o hai Sir Manchester).

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good post! In some ways we do the same . My wife and pick up a lot of foreign made movies that turn out to be excellent watching. Often they turn up a couple of years later in slicker Hollywood editions but not better.

I don't pretend to be a movie critic any more than I let Siskel (Yeh, I know)and Ebert pick my movies. My background, my lifestyle, my likes and dislikes are far different than people who went to collage to study journalism and have no "Real" life experiences, could imagine.

We don't all get the same out of a movie and that's what makes the movie world ...and this thread, go around...Right!!!?

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Then they're prolly the only 9 I've seen...:)
    Couldn't rep you but I like your thoughts on his life and movies. I'm afraid I lost out by giving up on him..:D

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As usual, you have managed to make the complexity that is Van Damme seem gloriously simple.

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

It was a bit long. Either that or I was just exhausted from my day. But the characters were charming, if quirky. I LOVED Analeigh Tipton (Lily). Didn't realize she was on Top Model.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I know nothing about this movie before I stuck it in the slot.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Turned out to be a lot of fun. The humour changed this from being a tiresome run of the mill action movie into enjoyable watching. Simon Pegg was pretty good as was Jeremy Renner and Paula Patton as co stars.

[​IMG]

RT: 'With fast-paced directing by Brad Bird and exciting action sequences, yet with funny moments, this movie is a thrilling ride worth to experience.'

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Have not seen this movie, but I remember her also being quite good in "Crazy Stupid Love".

14. john1983

john1983 New Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Yup saw her in crazy stupid love, she did do a good job ther

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Which probably means she's the first person who turns a run on Top Model into a real career? :eek:

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    really really liked the new Mission Impossible. You can sense Bird's whimsicality. The plot is outrageous, the set pieces, etc all outrageous so it makes sense to bookend a lot of the serious exposition with some humor. Woul like if he directed the next as well.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Innkeepers (2011)
    Dir. Ti West

[​IMG]

An old inn is a couple of days away from going out of business to make place for a parking lot. We follow the pair of employees still on staff as they serve the handful of guests who patron the place in its final days. To kill the time, they dabble in a bit of ghost-hunting, only a few weird occurrences make it apparent that there is actually some truth to the stories of the place being haunted by the spirit of a woman who died in its basement.

This is a very slow horror movie. The first hour or so feels more like a not-too-funny comedy than a horror-thriller. And when the horror does come, its nature feels a bit cheap as a pay-off to all that build-up. The one thing I did like was the use of the soundtrack for scares. The audience actually hears what the protagonists are hearing and taping on their EVP recorder, which manages to make a few simple scenes - like a girl walking around an empty hotel holding a microphone - somewhat suspenseful.

But the eventual climax was cheap enough to ruin whatever good might have come before. Though it did remind me of what a great location a largely empty hotel can be for a horror movie.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Project X (2012)
    Dir. Nima Nourizadeh

[​IMG]

Have we seen this before? Yes. But it's done so well that its lack of true originality does not really matter. Apart from the last ten minutes or so when they take the craziness (flamethrower???) a bit too far, this was a fun, wild ride of a movie. What I also loved was the fact that it lacked the usual moralizing message at the end. So it remained a celebration of mindless, irresponsible fun throughout. Which is probably what so many critics hated about it.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Contraband (2012)
    Dir. Baltasar Kormákur

[​IMG]

Not really note-worthy or worthwhile in any way. And I say this as someone who likes Marky Mark :p, Giovanni Ribisi and Kate Beckinsale. I liked the idea of making a movie about smugglers, but this was a poor effort throughout. It remains somewhat watchable until the main protagonists reach Panama, but the wheels really come off there. The remainder of the movie is more like an exercise in the theater of the absurd. Each plot development is slightly more outrageous than the one before.

As a side-note, Ribisi is still a very interesting actor and I wish he would get more and better work.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Haywire

Phenomenal. My favorite of the year so far.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Heartbreak Kid (2007)
    Dir. Peter & Bobby Farrelly

[​IMG]

A Farrelly brother comedy that reunited them with their "There's something about Mary" star. It wasn't terrible, just maybe a little underwhelming. Part of the problem is that we've reached the point where we've seen Ben Stiller play this same character once too many. But the issues went beyond Stiller's character. The movie was generally a bit low on real laughs.

There were a handful of aspects that still made it enjoyable. Malin Akerman has some genuine comedic talent, which was a pleasant surprise. I mostly know her from the Watchmen movie, so it was a trait of her craft I had not yet been introduced to. After seeing around a half a dozen of her movies, I couldn't really say if Michelle Monaghan is a good actress or not, but she does possess a near effortless on-screen charm. And this might seem contradictory to my earlier point about Stiller, but I think I will never tire of seeing Danny McBride portray douchebags. He has really elevated it to an artform in its own right.

In my Farrelly flick rankings, it would fall somewhere in between the nadir that was "Fever pitch" and the pleasant mediocrity of "Hall Pass".

22. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    [​IMG]

Remember that girl at school that all the girls hated but also wanted to be and all the guys wanted to bang? Charlize Theron is her....but I still want to ....umm nevermind.....focus on the movie. SO Charlize Theron is a young adult. But she's more of a petulant teenager who is in an adult body to get what she wants and not thinking of the consequences except for herself. It's from the same writer/director that brought you "Juno" this seems to be a movie in the same genre. Charlize plays a character who I started detesting but I ended up pitying her by the end of the movie as the life everyone thinks she has is not actually made of gold but pyrite. It's hard for this character to be likeable in any way, but eventually Theron pulls it off. It took a while though as you realize Maevis is stunted, while thinking she has her life pretty sorted out.

The story is about a woman who is a writer of teenage novels (actually the ghost writer) whose series is ending. She panics (for a reason unbeknownst to the audience) and decides to go back home to her small town and rekindle an old high school relationship.

Patrick Wilson plays the man she's after, but he has a baby and a wife standing in her way. He's either completely oblivious or taking the high road when Maevis (sp) is flirting and making advances. Patrick Wilson is adequare but the real heart and soul is Patton Oswalt. He is her voice of reason and is as emotionally/physically stunted as her but he recognizes it. I really enjoyed that last lines of dialogue between those two.

If you aren't the Happy Hollywood Ending type, you will enjoy this film more than others.

23. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Went to go see this one last night. It's been a while since I've been excited about any sort of action film. This one was VERY well directed and choreographed. A real roller coaster of a film that I'd be happy to go see again. Lots of suspense and a whole lot of action.

Go see it.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Interesting. My own interpretation was slightly different, I thought the screenwriter made it quite apparent from the get-go that her life was less than perfect. The state of her apartment, her rather quirky diet, the way she regards the man she picked up as some foreign object the next morning... All were aimed at making it clear to the audience that this was not someone who had her shit totally together. And then we get the moment where she totally freaks out over the baby picture. I actually thought the facade had been pulled back from nearly the first scene, which was precisely what made many of the scenes that came after that so sad to watch.

25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    You're right. I meant to say that and should have written more clearly. I write the previous critiique quickly as I was trying to get work done.

Maevis thinks her life is sorted out and she just needs that one thing to perfect it. Everyone else can see it (judging by her being invited by her old flame's wife, Patton Oswalt, etc etc) but she can't see it (the opening scenes, her disturbing hair thing and her "exciting" Minneapolis "life" as a writer) and she hasn't changed since high school.