So long, Junior. ¡Vaya con Dios!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by WHOLMAN2, Nov 20, 2004.

1. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    When I went to the G's match against the Crew (Sigi's last match as coach), I sat in front of several of Arturo Torres' family. When he was inserted as a substitute, they all jumped and starting cheering for "Junior." After a while, I started callling him "Junior." When the family looked at me funny, I explained that I paid for tickets and could call him anything I wanted...

Arturo: congratulations Junior! You were selected first by Chivas USA for good reason, and most G-fans wish you the best. Take it to the next level.

2. Boricua

Boricua New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Reseda, CA
    Buena Suerte chico!

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And what good reason is that, because he's hispanic?

4. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    I'm not so blind as to look past 'Turo's Hispanic heritage and the mission statement of CD Chivas USA, but I'm also not so cynical to accept that Torres was selected because he was the best Hispanic available in the draft. While Chivas did use their first two picks on Hispanic players, they also selected five non-Hispanic players, with EZ being picked third! If they're picking non-Hispanic international players like Hendrickson and Ziadie, they could have picked Andy Williams first. Instead, Junior was selected first because he is good, and being Hispanic was gravy. Maybe he's not quite as good as Williams, but better than the other four more experienced Hispanic players selected after 'Turo was selected.

Junior going to Chivas is the best thing to happen to his career.

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah but there is no way he was the best player in the draft.

And if all the "non hispanic" players end up being nothing more then trade bait, then will you still have this assesment?

I have no doubt it might be the best move for Torres himself, but I don't think him being the first pick is a testament to his worth, but more that he has "potential" and just happens to be hispanic.

6. feyenoord!!

feyenoord!! Member

Jun 1, 2004
    USA

:rolleyes:

7. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    You're not that dense, are you? Nowhere did I post or imply that Torres was the best player available in the draft. I wrote that he was selected first "for good reason." "Good reason" could mean several things, in this case, Torres has the ability to be a starter with Chivas USA. If he couldn't, they wouldn't have selected him. And if I thought Torres was the best player available in the draft, I wouldn't have posted, "Maybe he's not quite as good as Williams,..."

I will stand by my assessment, even if all of the other nine players selected by Chivas USA get traded. By the way, potential is a sign of worth. A player with no potential has no worth. Due to his potential, Torres has worth as a player, with his Hispanic heritage as a bonus to him and the team.

8. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Glad you approve.
    :p

9. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    What is wrong Profiled...sand in your pu**y. Stop being a Fvcking Racist!

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I'm racist because I'm pointing out what everyone already knows?

I'm racist because a team that has said they want to field a spanish speaking side, *GASP* selects a mediocre spanish speaking player with the FIRST PICK of the draft?

I'm racist because the parent club of said team *ONLY* plays mexican players?

You need to get off of your BS politicaly correct podium and get a grasp of reality and not pull some lame knee jerk reaction to try and be a kharma whore.

Have a terrible fvcking day.