So how are the Spanish lessons (IE Telefutura's English CC Service)coming along?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by purojogo, Jul 17, 2005.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get Telefutura here in Jersey to watch the GC games, but do not get the closed captioning service that they are supposedly providing in English for USA games....(as it is provided only in some areas)... NO matter, as i am fluent in Spanish...Unfortunately, for that reason i'm also unable to see whether the translations, Pbp CC are accurate, smooth, etc.... Anyone in an area that gets the captions care to comment?....

Maybe some of you guys are brushing up your language skills....so that next time you watch tourneys available only in Spanish... you can undestand the PbP w/o relying so much on translations ;) .....

Anyway, do share your comment on whether you think this is useful.. I wish i had the captions service to make judgements on it

2. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I watch TFT with off-air antenna and dont get the CC. when I first started watching the spanish broadcasted games, I found a website (i forget where) that was spanish futbol terms, so I learned the basics like "esquina" and "pelota" and that gets me by.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's the antenna signal that prevents you from getting CC, or the area where you live..As i said, I'm from Jersey and get zTeleftura through Directv.... but no CC.... maybe everyone with Directv doesn't get the CC?.... I don't know .. maybe someone with technical info/knowledge can fill us in.... I already tried both CC1 and CC2 on my TV , to no avail....

And yeah ... i remember about that site....very useful for those who want to understand the Spanish PbP better....

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I have closed captioning on my television set. I put it on during a game earlier in the week to see how it looked and the damned thing was nothing but gibberish. It looked more like Polish than English. There was hardly a single sentence which made any sense--and forget about the player's names!

Good idea, but it would have been useless for anyone that needed it.

5. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why they don't just have a guy with a keyboard do play-by-play, as opposed to captioning what the announcers are actually saying. I agree to a certain extent -- although I didn't think it was gibberish it didn't make a lot of sense, and often I'd understand something in Spanish that would finally come on the CC about 15 seconds later.

But again, it just seems like it would be easier to have a guy do his own play-by-play with the keyboard, or better yet, put an English crew on the SAP audio channel.

~Justin

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    The lag time between events on the field and what the captioning says is too long, so I turned it off. I don't know what the announcers are saying but now I'm not distracted by trying to read what happened a half minute ago.

I appreciate the effort though.

7. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    The more I watch it without audio the better I see the game.

8. recsoccercoach

recsoccercoach New Member

May 21, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL, USA

I agree, it's a good idea, but I tend to read too much and miss the good stuff. Better to learn the language. BTW: 'Fuera de lugar' = Offside

9. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    there is some word that sounds like "corner" in spanish that they say all the time ... had no idea what it is ...

phonetically corner is esquina right? it is something like esquierda ... probably botching it royally ... but i am picking up a bit.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

May 28, 1999
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Esquina=corner

Izquierda=left

To comment on someone above who said they don't get the captioning on their DirecTV. The captioning signal is probably there. You have to turn on the captioning on your TV to see it.

Gonzo

11. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are pleased with the CC on Univision/Telefutura; without it we'd be a bit lost. The commentators seem much more analytical and funny than our American guys. Can't speak to the accuracy, tho

12. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the delay and the reading are distracting, but we watch with TiVo and replay the good stuff.

13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The announcers made light of the CC several times. They admitted they somewhat felt bad for the people doing the CC because they had to translate extremely idiomatic phrases. I remember one guy purposely said something that was extremely untranslatable just for kicks. It was pretty funny.

14. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    I was suprised how well they speak of our players. They even said Ralston is a good winger. I always figured they just ragged on our players the whole time.

15. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    You know, they just have a change of hart latly, and they call the MNT the Team of every body, making refernce that the country is a melting pot.

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got stuck watching a game with closed captions once at my father-in-law's because no one know how to turn the captions off. Now this was a game in English with English titles. I found my self having to listen to and read Bob Edward's and Ty Keough's words. That was truly horrific, but I couldn't keep myself from reading those damned captions. It was brutally masochistic. Anyway, I don't know if I get captions and I don't intend to find out. I figure it's a good way to get my daughter to keep up with her Spanish over the summer.

17. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I enjoy listening to the game is Spanish. Although I only know a few words, it is a great way to pick up a few pharses.

18. Screech Powers

Screech Powers New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    My personal favorite is "penal! penal! penal! penal! penal! penal! PENALTY!!

19. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    If a player would hit the post or come really close they used to say (phonetically) "Toke,Toke,Toke!!!" but they don't seem to say that anymore

20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Personal favorite: Gol. GOOOOOOAAAAALLLL! GOLASSO! GOLASSO!
    ASSO! ASSO! ASSO!
    (not sure of translation)

21. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Here are some that tend to be used:

"largo" = long, out
    "derecha" = right
    "izquierdo" = left
    "tiro de esquina" = corner kick
    "mui mal" = very bad
    "pelota" and "balon" = ball
    "mano" = hand
    "cabeza" = head
    "falta" = foul
    "Cher UUUUUNNN dolo" = Cherundolo

22. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    and why is it that every incidental had contact in the box is shown? if an offensive player kicks the ball and it skims the arm of a player, but the player didn't move his arm, that doesn't count as a hand ball

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all CC did was help clarify some comments about our players for non-Spanish speakers .... and surprised more than one fan/made them see they do not criticize the US players nearly as much as thought before.... then i guess it was worth it....

To be honest, the only true flaw -in general- in terms of commentary i find is that when Mexico plays... they are way too likely to view things in a pro-Mexico way... (and that is whether they play the US or anybody else)....Then again both dudes calling the games are Mexican, at least in Univision..... which now i recall does not offer the CC///so never mind.....

"El equipo de todos" -"Everyone's team" is the sort of nickname used both in Univision (and hence Telefutura and Galavision) and Telemundo....to sort of call into attention that the USMNT is the team that represents those of us living in this country.... although some people might disagree and totally be against ever cheering the USMNT.... Not me, completely the opposite .... I love and support the USMNT as an immigrant and i love the fact that they use such a term when it comes to our NT

24. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    It was certaily a treat to see the commentary (although I didn't actually turn it on until I rewatched the game on tape) and their respect for our players. Now if the Mexican team players showed some class and actually behaved respectfully towards our players I (at least trade jerseys after a world cup game) then I might actually start rooting for Mexico.

25. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I called a Salvadorean friend to tell me what that meant, and she hates it because it's apparently really slangy to say. Just kind of a word for "super goal." I think it's "golazo" though, but I am not sure.

~Justin