Snowden's last ramblings

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by owendylan, Aug 13, 2002.

1. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
  2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moved to links forum.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note to Snowden: If you have a lawyer from the ACLU telling you that this is anything less than a slam-dunk for the plaintiff, chances are the case is far from "open and shut".

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes this article so awful is that it's very clear to me it's a hatchet job. He's not trying to inform, he's trying to blast. The article is devoid of nuance from the writer. I mean, the case to him is open and shut. Yet, in many ways it is similar to ticket selling practices at every freakin' college football game for God knows how many years.

In order for the USSF to lose the case, at minimum, the plaintiffs are going to have to win the point that the intent was racial (or national origin), and not based on for whom the fans were going to cheer. Otherwise, it's no different from what NC State fans have to go through to go to a game in Chapel Hill.

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Is anybody REALLY listening to this guy anyways? There are probably about 30 soccer geeks (myself included) who read the article and that's it.

6. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    It might be similar, but it's different in an important respect, as you point out. Segregation by team affiliation isn't illegal; segregation by race or national origin is. You seem to think that the USSF could defend itself by asserting that purposely excluding "Fans of the Honduras team" is sufficiently different from excluding Hondurans and Honduran-Americans. Personally, I would not want to be the guy who tries to say that to a court with a straight face.

Besides that, I don't see that it will be difficult for the plaintiffs to show evidence of exclusion based on race or national origin, assuming that some of the stories printed after the game were correct. Hondurans alleged that they called for tickets giving their real, Spanish-sounding surnames and couldn't get tickets, but then called again giving Anglo-sounding names and got tickets. If these allegations are true, it looks like a pretty easy case.