SMU and the NCAA tournament

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Smither999, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Smither999

Smither999 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Southern Methodist University gets pushed out of a top four seed which they, according to the most recent polls, should own. They are ranked at least 3rd in all of the polls including nscaa, collegesoccernews, socceramerica, and college times. After winning the Missouri Valley Conference tourney in dramatic fashion(game winner with 22.4 seconds left in regulation), the mustangs went undefeated in every conference game. The picked up the regular season and tournament championship. A number 7 seed in the tournament is a shame. Where did all these teams suddenly come from(Wake Forest, Virginia, Maryland). Granted they have the toughest conference, where have they been in the rankings all year. After a sub par year, Indiana is in there just because they are defending champions. I think there is a prejudice against SMU for some underlying reason but look for the Mustangs to thrash through Penn State and then Indiana.

2. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Stop with the whining. They got about what they deserved based largely on their record. Frankly, you are vulnerable in that you don't have consistent scoring. While your record was solid, I must tell you that your team is very beatable. An average Stanford team schooled you. And our Jays had you reeling for the better part of the game but sometimes it's tough to get that ball through. The "Ponies" felt lucky to get out of Omaha that first game with the win as you were outplayed (and dominated in the second half) for the better part of the game. In any event, congrats on the seeding and be happy with what you have. You were clearly not robbed like some other teams were.

3. Smither999

Smither999 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    I didn't mention anything about Crieghton but if I must, I must.You should be counting your blessings with the number 14 seed.
    Losing to mediocre teams? Your precious Jays lost to Evansville and Southwest Missouri State. Don't be so bitter that SMU came in to your house on your homecoming and got the win. The fireworks were mighty nice. Lack of scoring? SMU offense has been ranked in the top ten all year. I know it was tough to watch the two teams that are leaving your conference play on national tv at your stadium, but I am simply pointing out the facts. You have nothing on anything I just said, so that is that. I am happy with the seed I was simply stating that SMU is top 3 in all polls and gets pushed out by ACC teams like they do every year. I realize teams like UAB, Hartwick, and others got screwed, and I am thankful the Mustangs have a shot at the title.

4. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm not entirely sure if they should really be a top four seed, but in their first game SMU will be playing the winner of Santa Clara and Cal. According to soccerratings.com, those three teams are #8, #10, and #11 in the country.

You shouldn't get more than one top-16 team in a single cluster. The fact that all three are in the the same one ... call a spade a spade: it is a screw job.

5. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Isn't it funny how teams that are behind always talk about dominating the other team despite not winning. Ever thought that the other team might've sacrificed possession for defense. Talk all you want about luck and I'll just point to SMU's record against Creighton over the last half decade.

Anyway, as all us Maniacs know the NCAA has had a hard-on for us for a long, long time. No surprise. Fortunately, you can play out of a bad seed and if we are good enough for a Final Four berth we should be able to win some tough battles. Personally, I love the chance to exact some revenge against Santa Clara for last year.

6. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    You should be thankful you blithering idiot. My comments had nothing to do with the outcome this past weekend. That's soccer jerk off! There is no "bitterness" here. Incidentally, the game was not nationally televised in the event you were really are intent on focusing on "the facts". I was referring to your past 5 or so games where SMU was clearly struggling to put it in the net except for "set pieces". You finally broke through at the end of the Tulsa game. Look at your box scores and game recaps, Jethro. Let me see if I understand your quote, "you have nothing on anything I just said, so that is that". Is that how you cowboys babble in Texas? What the hell was that supposed to mean? I hope an SMU education produces graduates that express themselves better than you do. And by the way, our #14 seeding is what it should be. Our guys can play with anyone in the country. We prove it every year. Your guys know it. So does UCLA. Now, go back to sleep.

7. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    You mean like when SMU "thrashed" Penn State by losing to them 3-2 in overtime on September 25th, 2004?

8. lawbestcharlton

lawbestcharlton New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    If you were at that game I'm sure you know who should have won.

9. lawbestcharlton

Nov 16, 2004
    Why the name calling? Can't you keep your postings civil? Looking forward to being in a new conference next year and not having to read your garbage.

10. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    It comes in both directions.

11. usat522

usat522 New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    The name calling childishness is rampant on CUgrad's and Soccerjock's posts, (it's all trackable) no matter what thread they're posting to. I'd call it surprising and disappointing for students of a Jesuit institution of higher education, but with the anonymity that goes along with message boards, CUgrad and Soccerjock are just as likely to be some actual student/players' little brother or sister.

12. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    I'd love to meet Soccerjock. He actually makes some effective points.

13. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The SMU and Creighton rivalry has been a good one over the course of the last five years in the MVC. Every game has always been close to the final whistle and hard fought by each team. Last year Creighton came into Dallas and beat a good SMU team to clinch the regular season conference title. This year SMU walked into Omaha and beat the Jays, thats the beauty of the rivalry. Hopefully Schellas and Bob will see it fit to continue playing eachother in the non-conference schedule in years to come. Here's for hoping for a repeat of 2000 and seeing both the Jays and SMU in the Final Four...only difference is this time the two would play eachother!

14. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hardly call Indiana's season sub par! Finishing 14-4-1 with a pretty tough schedule is not too bad. I was very surprised that they received the #2, but, as you state, they are the defending National Champions. IF SMU makes it through PSU it will be a great game with IU, provided they defeat Akron/Michigan, which I have to believe will be the Zips.

15. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    I actually could not agree more.

16. lawbestcharlton

Nov 16, 2004
    Yes, I guess there must be something about supporting Creighton that gets these guys upset at the rest of the world. I sure haven't noticed others with such a bad attitude. Can anything be done to get them expelled?