Smoke Bombs

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Kernel KlinK, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Kernel KlinK

Kernel KlinK New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further point.
    Seeing that pix above really makes me love the bombs. What other sport in the U.S. has such crazy antics?
    However, I do agree with an earlier post, NO BOMB THROWING ON THE PITCH!!!

2. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Probably the most ridiculous, self-righteous post I've ever read on these boards.

3. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I just love it...Smoke bombs have soccer written all over Perhaps the federation should do it this way it be official

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're all in agreeance here. If someone throws a smoke bomb/flare/whatever on the pitch, then they're obviously a moron.

If it disrupts play, don't do it. It could end up negating a great play or a goal by your team. It could also injure your favorite player(s).

It it starts in the stands, keep it in the stands.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's either a mix or 100% smoke bomb. Our fog machine is 100% white fog. There's at least two of them, which look like huge white PVC pipes with holes drilled in the side. They fit under the seats. It's 100% easy to breathe. No one with allergies is affected.

It's easy to see through, but can create a great effect in under 10 seconds. Because our front office installed it (we have the on/off switch in the section) then we obviously can't get in trouble for it.

7. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke with the Crew FO years ago about their fog machine to see if the SEs could get one at RFK (DCU was cool, RFK for some reason was not :rolleyes:). These devices are not cheap (you need to get one that's big enough to throw off enough fog to make a difference in a stadium setting vs a theater) but yeah, they're certainly safer and "enviro friendly" in the sense you aren't stinking up the place. I would imagine you could add colors. I don't see them being terribly portable (like a club like AO buy and then carry around the country) however maybe as part of the day's tifo, funds could be collected to rent for the day. You'd get the effect people are after but don't make people sick.

K

8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The picture with the yellow smoke was at the very end of the game last year in the home opener (can I make this sentence even more confusing??)? The person who lit it got his hand slapped and was told not to let it happen again.

I also believe that the Crew FO took away the smoke machine in the past few games to flex their muscles that they can clamp down on the section whenever they want to clamp down on the section (in response to chants of "This is our house, get the F*** out").

9. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS

Go CREW....Out with the puzzies...:D

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate it when FOs do that.

11. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wizards FO just did that this weekend.... They ejected several people for throwing streamers that THEY bought for us.

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is some seriously retarded ish.

13. Kernel KlinK

Kernel KlinK New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thought. I noticed that at many football games (American football) and especially at playoffs and the Super Bowl the organizers light off fireworks and smoke is everywhere for a period of time before the game starts and often times during the game. I guess one reason I love going to soccer matches so much is the participation of the fans AND the fact taht we are not as controlled as other sports.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Wells, RIP, called such fans McFans. McFans only clap or cheer with audio and visual clues that it is an acceptable time to do so, etc. I don't know if he originated it, but he was the first to use it that I saw.

15. IncredibleStan1

Feb 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some of you are just too soft.

i wish they had smoke bombs set off at the Nashville TnT game

16. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did set off smoke bombs at the Nashville TnT game. It was quite easy, as you can buy them in Tennessee.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I can't believe Barra seems only group in MLS to not accept FO money. You guys deserve everything you get, for falling for it over and over again :D

welcome to RFK

[​IMG]

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We had asked about colored smoke at one point, but the answer at the time was that theatrical fog was (at the time) much more expensive than regular white fog.

I'm sure one could be rented for the day. Set it up in the section, give the local supporters group control of it, and let them go crazy with it. I have no idea how much one (let alone two or three) would cost. And would the cost include just the machine, or would it also include fog mix? What about any deposits?

They ARE a lot safer than smoke bombs. And they don't end up on the field, too. :)

19. FCDallasAddie

FCDallasAddie Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its just me.......We have refused smoke machines everytime and if "I" was given the oppurtunity to use one for NATS games as well I would definitely decline. Part of building the atmosphere is not only visibly for others to see but the excitement of lighting an actual smoke bomb. Again maybe its just me....buts Ill take the adrenaline rush with lighting them over pressing a button. :cool:

20. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Smoke bombs are plenty safe, especially if you get the military ones.