Smallwood | MLS in Philly area? It's in Legislature's hands

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Talleyville United, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Talleyville United

Talleyville United New Member

May 19, 2007
    Talley-Ho, Dellawhur
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  2. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody INVITE him?
    Hmnn
    He has been consistently on top of the local soccer scene, and he knows what he is talking about!

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smallwood did a great job on this. Please, everyone, email him and let him know you appreciate his comments.

Come on PA Assembly, get it done!

4. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already done!

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to the press conference. I don't have rose colored glasses on, but I gotta say--what I heard is the exact opposite of what the Inky reported.

Did Garber say we move way down on the list if we don't get stadium funding finalized by 12/15? Yes. But otherwise, I thought he tipped his hand that the franchise is Philadelphia's to lose.

The Inky article makes it seem that St. Louis is the clear favorite. Again, while Garber clearly indicated that they were ahead of pretty much everyone else in the field (e.g., Montreal, Atlanta, etc.), I thought it was pretty clear they were trailing Philadelphia as far as what the league was concerned.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    any one think all the republicans in harrisburg care one diddly about chester or giving government money to subsidize soccer...??

8. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we have the leading republican senator in Dominic Pileggi who seems to be on our side when he says things like "It would be a tremendous economic generator for the region and also a wonderful new attraction for visitors," (read it here)

that combined with Fast Eddie Rendell trying to get the funding, I dont see this not happening.

9. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    These articles twisted his words to make it seem like Philly is on this tight deadline and Stl can join whenever they want. The only reason he even mentioned Philly's deadline in the adress was to say that we are in front and IF we don't get funding in time, THEN they will choose another city. We are still in front.

10. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP...

I was thinking about this early this morning. If it was possible to frame this debate as much needed jobs to a depressed community (which hass already been tried, I'm sure) AND that the ownership would try (somehow) to guarantee that a certain portion of the generated FT jobs would go to Chester residents or at the very least DelCo residents it might sway some votes.

In addition, the building of the stadium will provide the impetus for much more development.

11. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    You mean you don't see how this can fail.

12. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by "this" i meant us getting the cash and therefore getting a team. I dont see how this will fail...not saying it cant but just saying all signs point to it happening.

13. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was anyone else worried by the line from the STL owner in the inquirer article saying that he had brought another big-time investor on board and would announce them if they got a deal? I thought the lack of depth in their ownership group was their major obstacle.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I thought that comment was lame. Why would MLS, who are worried about STL's lack of investor depth, allow STL a team THEN find out who the new investor is?

15. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took that comment to mean that Cooper would announce the new investor's name to the public if the franchise was awarded. I find it hard to believe that he's talking to Garber "daily" (Garber's word) without telling Garber who the new investor is.

16. Patrick Bateman

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought that was how he meant it, not like he was going to reveal the owner to Garber only if he awards them the franchise, although that would be a hilarious conversation to see.

17. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper: You first.
    Garber: No, you first.
    Cooper: No, no, you first.

and so on and so on...

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I thought it was lame. When has any expansion MLS team ever had a secret investor who was only revealed after the franchise was awarded. Publicly or otherwise?

19. Patrick Bateman

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't drew carey announced after the fact? not that he was "the kicker" for the Seattle deal.

20. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this investor doesn't want to get burned by publicly lending his name to a failed effort, and would rather wait until it's done to reveal himself to the public. Doesn't seem that weird to me. Why would the public need to know the guy's name? We're not the ones voting to award the franchise.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is, no one has ever done it before. Hence why it sounds fishy IMO.

22. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    No, I mean you used a double negative. By saying you don't (1) see how something won't (2) happen is the same as saying you think it will happen. Just say you think it will happen.

Clearly you never participated in the National Grammar Rodeo at the Sheraton Hotel in Canada.

23. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhhhh sorry i didnt realize you like to nitpick ;)

24. Patrick Bateman

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait, why would our national grammar rodeo be held in Canada?

-Langdon Alger