Small stadiums for the WC--FIFA needs to lay down the law

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by dfb547490, Jan 3, 2006.

1. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion

Yes, for WCs it is 68mx105m as I said (at least that's how it's handled in Germany). And yes of course FIFA can make any kind of exception if they want to....it's "their" tournament. :-/

Btw, regulation for all kind of soccer pitches is a width of 45m-90m and length of 90m-120m.

2. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be pedantic it was the England - Croatia (originally in Coimbra) and the France - Switzerland (originally in Lisbon) that got switched. I only know because I had tickets for the Match in Coimbra and thought i'd got 2 England games when they did the draw (I got the France game), only to find out an hour later that they had switched it. Good news for 45000 England fans, a bit of a bummer for me.

3. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    It governs World Cup qualifying as well as the World Cup. In a strange reversal, you guys are converting to meters. Originally the Laws, written by the English, were in yards and still are (with conversion to meters provided now also). Minimum field size (the actual playing field, not including "run off") is 70 x 110 yards.

And smithfan (who provided some amazing photos of this year's venues) the US posters are talking about possible World Cups in the future- 2018 or 2022.

4. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    I am pretty sure that for the 2006 World Cup it is exactly 68mx105m.

Absolutely right. It is just that....ehhhh.....you know......LONG LIVE THE METRIC SYSTEM!!!!! :)

5. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well in that case, not even the first row will be able to see anything...I mean you also have to have some sort of usability, I wouldn't want to be in the last row of a stadium with a capacity of 100.000. A good way to increase numbers without making the stadium too big would be to allow stands. That way we could probably fit an average of 10.000 people more in the WC arenas, plus it would be a great asset to the overall atmosphere and those tickets could be cheaper.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    They made an exception because they were desperate to have games in NY (well, ok, NJ :) ). They did not make a general exception.

7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    One yard too narrow for international play, around six for WC finals play. I very much doubt that would be accepted for a repeat US bid.

8. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    read the thread closer. The rule (NOW) is 70 yards minimum for World Cup and Qualifying.

However I think in 94 the rule was 72 yards. I'm not going to go look for the answer.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It was 75 yards (68m) in '94, and I've sen nothing to indicate it's changed since. 70 yards (64m) is for internationals in general including WC qualifiers.

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    OK, I looked for the answer.

The Laws of the Game specify for "International Competitions" a minimum field size of 64 meters (70 yards).

I believe the 75 yard figure comes from the publication "TECHNICAL RECOMMENDATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OR MODERNISATION OF FOOTBALL STADIA"
    They recommend a field size of 68 meters (75 yards).

Those are recommendations, not the actual law...but it is confusing:

It also states ** "for all matches in the final competition of the FIFA World Cup and the final competitions of confederation championships throughout the world, only the dimensions of 105 x 68 m are acceptable"

Most of the fields in 94 were 75 yards, except Giants Stadium.

11. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Anyway, back to the real issue at hand of overall stadium size. My take is as follows:

1) The real problem is not overall stadium size....it doesn't make economic sense to build too many stadia much larger than 40,000, since the clubs that use them before and after a World Cup generally don't need stadia much bigger than that.

2) The second problem is that matches are assigned to cities long before the draw is made, which often results in popular matches being assigned to small stadia and less popular matches being assigned to large stadia, purely by random chance.

3) The third problem is that FIFA gives too many tickets away to sponsors and politicians, thereby reducing the number of tickets available to travelling supporters. The fact that at this years WC, the two teams involved in any given match only get a combined 16% of the available tickets (8% each) is an absolute travesty.

The obvious solution is to wait until after the draw to assign matches to stadia. Yes, it would mean that people would have to wait longer to make travel plans, but in the day and age of the internet where you can make plane and hotel reservations in ten minutes, that is a relatively minor consideration.

12. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion

As I said, at least for WC2006 it is 68mx105m. Not only mentioned in the technical recommendation-pdf, which is out there since several years, but also on several news-sites and especially stadionwelt.de, which distribute FIFA press notes.

13. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia

Australia Does!:)

14. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Nah ya don't. Only 2 - Olympic Stadium and the MCG.

Do have three within shouting distance of 60,000 though (Football Park in Adelaide, the Docklands and Lang Park).

15. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
    You forgot about Sydney Football stadium.

Lang Park is around 60k, the dome and sa football park r nearly 60 k anyway.

so my reckoning 6 stadium, 60k or plus.

Anyway when Australia gets the world cup, the stadium that need to be upgraded, will be.

Although i don't know how many fans would travel to the most remote contintent on earth.

The World cup commitee should perhaps allocated teams to stadium acording to their pulling power.

16. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    Luxemburg?

sure they should meet the requirements ;)

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We have enough grounds now that meet capacity requirements to host a World Cup but some of them will need upgrading in facilities. There are two 80,000+ grounds to choose from for a final. The MCG has a bigger capacity than the Olympic Stadium but it is a round ground which is a disadvantage. We have 3 others over 50,000, and another 4 over 40,000. Unfortunately only 4 of those 9 grounds can be set up in a rectangular configuration for football. All the others are cricket / Australian football grounds exclusilvely. However by the time Australia has a realistic chance of hosting (not before 2022 IMHO) a lot of these stadiums will be old and need upgrading to more modern facilities.

18. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Australia really doesn't have much when you consider the one stadium per city rule.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I think that rule only covers the actual city limits though, not the entire metropolitan areas. Seoul and Paris both had one downtown stadium and another in the 'burbs.

20. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion

IMHO just a soft rule. Or can anyone imagine a future WC in England with Ashburton not being used?

21. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    You're allowed one city with two stadiums. That still leaves Australia in the ********.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    all this talk of stadiums is making me think of south africa in 2010. i seriously wonder how they will be able to pay with all the strict standards. south africa isnt the wealthiest country...and if it's gonna take Greece ages to pay off the olympics, imagine south africa...

as for 2014, should it go to brazil, there are also plenty of problems. not many stadiums right now capable of holding the games.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It just means that the stadiums in Canberra, Newcastle and Townsville would need some upgrading.

24. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    I have the impression that South Africa thinks that hosting major sporting events will solve all their problems.

25. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaiserslautern's was built by the club, but they sold it to the city and state two years ago because of financial problems of the legal kind.