Slow chat.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by RutgerB, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    My great-grandmother was born and raised in Uithuizen, Groningen. She told my grandmother to, "never marry a Frisian." Well, my great-grandmother didn't get here way and neither will White-Green Pride. ;)

2. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Haha......uhmmm ok...Well make sure you don't make too much noise and remain seated, or Uncle Riemer will have a chat with your parents...

euh..heh heh.....ja tuurlijk jongen, wat jij wil...
    Wat kost dat eigenlijk, zo'n 'humolation'?

3. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Tsk tsk.....your grandmother should've listened to your great-grandmother, now all is lost.....

Today, the man affectionately known as 'Frieslander', has to live with the fact that he is American AND frisian...Can it get any worse? Does the sweet lord have no compassion for this soul?

Ah but yes, he does!! He could've made him a Rangers fan, then he would be truly doomed....;)

4. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Hey look what i found! It's an advertisement for Heerenveen's new fanshop.Makes a lot of sense, since the demographic makeup of their fanbase resembles that of a home for the elderly....

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a minor correction

6. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    No way! I've lived in Uithuizen :D
    Worst village in the whole Netherlands, bunch of stupid inbread rednex.

Still have a few connections there, let me think uhhhmm last time I was there was at new years day.
    What was your great-grandmother last name?
    If had the guess I would say "dop".

Oh speaking of inbread, "White-green Pride" stop bulling me and my spelling :p

7. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do the same sort of inbred rednecks also live in surhuisterveen? Cause I'm playing vs 't fean '58 today and my frisian teammate (from Bolsward) said some real idiots populate that part of Friesland (whereas i thought friesland was entirely populated by idiots....one keeps learning everyday;))

8. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    They cant be worse then the idotes of Noordpool Uithuizen.
    Still Surhuisterveen is bad not as bad as Harkema or Urk. But defenilty bad like the standard oponent of 'All stars' in the tv serie 'All stars' :p

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    those who say american sitcoms aren't funny are probably not watching them in english - seinfeld, friends and even YES the simpsons are spectacularly unfunny in french or german

i'm learning my fourth language, more proof i'm not the typical american

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    btw does anybody know the dutch equivalent to clothes size US large/UK 44-46? HELP!

11. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    /me graps a Arsenal shirt it says:
    GB 45/47
    I 56/58
    F 56/58
    D 56/58

Could be, but in the Netherlands everything is subtitled. In Swiss.. well there its hell, even the Terminator one quote "Ill be back" is dubbed.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    that soooo doesn't help - my choices are

i'm guessing the 4-12 are kid's sizes and by best assumption is that i need a 152

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah but american shows are heavy on slang and translating slang does not help

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at 2 and change.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 think its the opposite

16. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Good thing I get to watch the Simpsons in english ;)

What languages do you know?

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well english (of course), french, decent spanish and learning german - in italian i only know how to ask where the bathroom is and say hello to a pretty girl - i learned hebrew as a kid, but the only thing i can remember is 'shut up please!'

18. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    I ran into a hebrew classes last week and was really considering taking them, (I want to take Hebrew or Arabic).
    How was it? Does English provide anything of a start for it? Oh and I know Jidisch but I dont think thats much of a help.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yeah i know some jidisch also, mostly foul language - english is of absolutely no help when learning hebrew

20. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    You gotta give him this one, Rutger. This is good stuff. Touche.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    anyone?

22. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    If it makes you feel any better I associate with the Frisians the most because it's my paternal line/surname. I also have ancestors from Spijkenisse, Zuid Holland and Vlissingen, Zeeland. My mother seems to be about 50% Frisian and 50% Groningener. Hard to tell though because her family has been in the States longer/I have less info.

Any of you guys hear the story about the man who donated his carrier pigeons when Leiden was under seige by the Spanish? The city's council used the pigeons to communicate with William of Orange. Prince William was able to tell the city to hold out and not surrender. William showed up, broke down the dyks, flooded the Spanish out and saved the city. The man who donated the pigeons was my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-great-grandfather's brother. They gave him the name "van Duijvenbode" (carrier pigeon) and there's a statue of him in Leiden. Van Duijvenbode didn't have any kids but he took care of his nephew (my ancestor) who took his surname. I don't know, I think it's cool anyway.

Ain't that the truth. I was at all the Stanley Cup Final's games this year. Game 7 was absolutely amazing.

23. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh but the same goes for me...I'm a groninger cause I was born and mainly raised here (also lived a couple of years in zeeland, Drenthe and de achterhoek) My four grandparents are, in no particular order, from Noord-Holland, Friesland, Brabant and Indonesia.....besides, on a genetic level there's absolutely no difference between 'Grunnegers' and 'Frysken'

including the away games at Anaheim???? man! That probably meant no summer vacation for Frieslander....

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  25. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Says the Sask..
    Everybody should know Groningen orginated from Friesland (like the whole Netherlands :p) But from around 1600 Groningers started feeling as if they were Saksen.