SL Benfica vs V. Setubal [R] for first place

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    if you look thru the years you see that Setubal always give's Benfica a hard time at stadium of light

still my prediction will go to Benfica 2-0

2. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Who would of guessed this would be the battle between 1st place teams in Week 9? It's not a suprise that Benfica is in first place, but Vitoria Setubal :confused: ? I agree Frank, I believe Benfica will win this game.

3. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I haven't seen Vitoria Setubal play at all this year.

What's their style of play? Greece/Porto? Or Barcelona/Brasil?

Are they a loose creative attacking team when they play the middle and lower table teams and then tighten up against the Big Three?

If they tighten up against Benfica, then I expect a great result for Setubal.

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tell me ur not comparing Greece's style of play to Porto's :confused:

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Setubal got two loan players from Porto playing very well, Manuel Jose and Morais

6. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Manuel José belongs to Setubal, he isn't a Porto player no more, who's Morais? :confused: anyway Setubal wpnt be able to play Ze Rui, he is on loan from Benfica :D

7. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    If this bunch of over-paid morons (yes, I am talking about the Benfica players) play as well as they did in Barcelos, we'll get spanked at home. It's ridiculous that this team is unable to score goals in the first half.

8. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bruno Morais...Manuel Jose is no longer Porto property? Wow...perhaps he will be wearing red or green pretty soon. He is playing really well.

9. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Uh, have you been watching Porto play for the past two years?

Porto is Greece with more talent on offense.

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    wow, i didn't remembered Bruno Morais :confused: :eek: i must be sick

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Manuel Jose is making a name for himself, the big test will be against the top teams

12. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Setubal's call up

Guarda-redes: Paulo Ribeiro e Marco Tábuas.

Defesas: Hugo Alcântara, Veríssimo, Auri, Bruno Ribeiro, Éder e Nandinho.

Médios: Ricardo Chaves, Sandro, Manuel José, Binho, Pedro Oliveira e Jorginho.

Avançados: Bruno Moraes, Igor, José Rui e Meyong

13. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Benfica's call up

Guarda-redes: Moreira, Quim.

Defesas: Amoreirinha, Argel, Luisão, Miguel, Dos Santos.

Médios: Paulo Almeida, Bruno Aguiar, Geovanni, Everson, Manuel Fernandes, Petit, Zahovic, João Pereira, Simão.

Avançados: Karadas, Nuno Gomes e Sokota.

14. pollardfreek

pollardfreek New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    Goal Karadas. Benfica up 1-0.

15. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    SLB 4 - 0 Setubal.

Karadas, Sokota, Geovanni, Simao.

16. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Anyone know how bad Nuno Gomes is hurt

17. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica played great, it was one of the best games they have played so far this season. They seemed really motivated and starting the game with 2 strikers was a great decision by Trappatoni. The goals were all nice, especially Simao's goal. Unfortunately Nuno Gomes got injured, it didn't look good but I hope he gets well soon and is back playing with Benfica soon.

18. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Everyone played great for Benfica, especially Geovanni and Petit.

19. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Really? So what would you compare the Benfica of the last two years to? I guess name any team that hasn't won squat.

20. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    I don't think anyone's saying that Porto hasn't earned what they've won. But their style is similar to what won Greece the Euro. Disciplined defending, taking advantage of chances, that's the Mourinho way, just look at Chelsea.

21. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great result for Benfica by the way. However I have no idea how Setubal got to where they are currently in the standings. They played like a 2nd Division team.

22. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, but look at the talent that was on that Porto team. Of course Mourinho's tactics and the perfect defensive line had a lot to do with it. But Porto had excellent flair in the opponent's half of the field as well.

23. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

Look, I Porto's defense last year was very impressive and they earned the trophies with some luck added in (ie: Costinha knocking out Man U with the late equaliser in CL). But, face it, if you're not a Porto fan, then watching them is frustating, boring, and it gets to a point where you'd rather watch that old man on RTPi talking about the history of Portugal instead.

This year, Porto's defense has holes because Ricardo GOD Carvalho isn't there. And, they're missing Nuno Valente who is also a brute force on that D. But, they still have the delay tactics, the discipline, and they'd rather foul the opponents and give up a free kick then let them have any rythym at all. Unfortunately, unlike last year, you don't have Deco captaining that midfield and finding everyone and everything to set up goals. Right now Porto is missing that on offense.

24. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Exactly, that's why I said Porto is Greece, but with more talent on offense. Why do you take that as insult?

25. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I guess beating your Porto in the Portuguese Cup isn't that impressive. I guess it does kind of sting to have your "treble" broken up by Benfica huh?

Hey, you never know, maybe Benfica and Porto will meet again in this year's Portuguese Cup Final. ;)