Sky Sports TV piece on Hammers UK trials

Discussion in 'Wilmington Hammerheads' started by mbsc, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better quality

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great coverage and great that the club set it up.

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's really cool, but "The league that's just below MLS?" Not exactly. I'm sure the players know what's what, and what sort of salary they can expect. Of course, Wilmington probably has a much lower cost of living than a big city, like Lost Angeles. (Now I'm wondering what the cost of living is in the various USLPro cities? LA would be worst, how pricey are Orlando and Tampa?)

Anyway, good on the Hammerheads.

- Mark

5. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool that the club has a lot interest from international players. Most teams have to go to the players in other nations, not the other way around.

6. DUST

DUST Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Wilmington NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How cool! Thanks for posting! With the weather they were having on that day I'd say NC is looking very nice to them!

7. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to talk to David Irving in Bradenton at the combine again this year. He is such a funny guy, smiling and joking. A great coach for this league. Look forward to our game up there on 3 July.

8. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They are having a combine in Maryland, along with Harrisburg as well as European scouts, next month. My son will be there, I'll let you know what I think as I'll tag along as he'll be going to European trials as well in the summer. Very impressed with SkySports spot and the idea of having these combines. At first we thought it odd that there was a fee, but it turns out the USL PRO league-wide combine cost about the same.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, and good luck to your son. Nice to hear these tidbits, and a report from you about the proceedings would be great!

- Mark

10. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And just to confirm, he was invited and got his confirmation of acceptance. We expect there to be fewer 6'6" 200 lb. players than he had to play against in his HS county playoffs this fall LOL.

mbsc and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Got back from Hammerheads combine in Maryland - will be very interested to see if any participants get a trial or an offer from the club. Looked like average college players both in age and ability. First day had about 45 participants, but there were about 30 more who showed up on the second and third day, and played against each other. The first 45 were broken up into three teams the first day playing 9 v. 9 on a half-pitch, then four teams playing full sided on days two and three.

Hammerheads coach appeared to focus on those 30, and it wasn't clear if even one player from the first day was in that group of 30 afterwards. It's also unclear if coaches from Harrisburg or any European clubs showed up. There were quite a few parents in the stands which shocked us as most players were over 18 (do college students depend that much on their parents nowadays?). Speed of play was much better in the game with the 30 who only were there two days, but it was kick and run, kick and run. Other games actually showed more possession in my opinion. There were some players from overseas there as well as a lot of Americans. Ages trended young, many 18 - 20 year olds.

My son enjoyed the combine, but quickly he knew that it was really run by the company not the team. There were even teammates of his who said they had gotten MLS offers (though only 18 or 19), but they were sorted into the "B" groups not the "A" groups. He did score a goal at least, so he was happy about that.

Good luck to the Hammerheads this season, and hope they found some prospects!

12. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Was told one player from the Maryland combine is on trial pre-season with the Hammerheads (Mickael Barroso, from Belgian 3rd division according to some reports?), and one player ended up on trial pre-season with Harrisburg from the Maryland combine.