Sky Blue vs Red Stars (Again)

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by galsoccer907, Apr 20, 2010.

1. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    So, it's Monday, and we've got another game against SBFC Sunday, and I'm feeling extremely optimistic. I really think there's an excellent chance we're going to get the win this weekend, especially since Asllani isn't headed to Sweden for National team duties.

But, I really think we can take SBFC on and win. If Nogueira can score again, and Cristiane can FINALLY connect with the net off of all this shots we're making, we're gold. We just need to keep our defense strong, which they definitely were this last week.

What are everyone else's thoughts? Potential starting line-ups?

2. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Nogueira starts then I dont see her playing more than a half. If Carney is not back this weekend, then I'd like the lineup to be

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Asllani, Cristiane, Nogueira, Chapman, Klein, Sitch, Dieke, Engen, Markgraf, Dalmy, Loyden
    [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

With second half subs being Carney, Masar, and McDonald. Or even Formiga depending on the situation.

I think if we continue to stay organized defensively, and get past that 10-15 minute mark without a goal, our confidence will go WAY up. We have a really great bench and I expect Hayes to use it. All of the subs on the bench have looked great when they have come in. Especially Nogueira. McDonald really looked good for those few minutes against Sky Blue two weeks ago. Hopefully we'll get a big W this weekend :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the lineup?

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

We just have to remember that dominating the run of play does you no good unless you can put the ball into the back of your opponent's goal.

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep. I'd hope that their big focus this week at practice is finishing. Defense wins championships... if you can score.

5. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I agree that if Nogueira starts she won't be playing 90 minutes. Hopefully she'll work up to that level eventually. If both Masar and McDonald are subbing in, are you taking Asllani and Cristiane out? Or Sitch and Asllani? Who's going to that right flank?

I also agree that our main focus needs to be getting the ball in the net. Hopefully Emma is concentrating on that this week in practice.

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I'd take Nogueira and Sitch out either at the half or around the 60 minute mark. If we were pushing for a goal then I'd take Engen out around the 75-80 minute mark and go with three backs and put someone else up top. If we were trying to defend a lead, I'd take a forward out and put in Formiga to clog the midfield to help maintain that lead.

7. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    So would you move Asllani back to the midfield when you took Sitch and Nogueira out to put McDonald or Masar in? I guess that would be the best option. And I think bringing another forward in is solid, especially McDonald since I think she could bring the fire.

I'm not sure if Nogueira will start though. Maybe Emma sees her as someone to bring in in the second half with a clear head, ready to make smart shots on goal.

8. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I'd take out Sitch and put in Carney. Take out Nogueira and possibly drop Asllani back at midfield and bring in Masar up top.. or just play a 4-3-3. It all depends on the score. If its close and we're winning.. then I'd play a 4-5-1. If we're losing or tied and pushing for that goal, I'd play a 3-4-3.

9. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    For me, I'd continue using Nogueira as a super sub because she has a history as a finisher, and I think her tricks will be most effective when the other team is starting to get tired and she's still fresh.

As for the rest of the team, I agree that Aslanni and Cristiane are the ideal match up top, but with Rapinoe out and Carney and Formiga unlikely to be able to play 90 I think that's a couple games in the future.

I think Hayes will have to keep her old starting lineup for another week, and push for the win in the second half. Sky Blue has shown a tendency to wear down, especially offensively. So avoid the mental lapse on defense in the first half, wear down TK with Masar and Sitch and all the workers, and then put in finishers with fresh legs for the second. It's not ideal, but when a lot of your best playmakers aren't fit I think it's best to leave yourself some options on offense.

10. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I agree that Nogueira will probably be more effective as a super sub. If we can get her in there when the defenders are tired and are giving her too much room, she'll put it in the net. Plus, her footwork is superb, and those tired players just aren't going to be able to keep up. Now, if we could just get her to run...to REALLY run. She'd be on fire.

I'm excited for Carney and Rapinoe to be healthy again. Rapinoe usually isn't a 90 minute player, so we'll be able to bring Nogueira in with her fresh legs then. But, I agree that we'll probably see last week's starting line-up again this week. Any estimations on when Carney and Formiga will be game ready? And when Formiga is healthy enough for the start, who's getting taken off: Klein or Chapman?

If we can hold off on SBFC this week for fifteen minutes, I think we can win it. I'm hoping for the best!

11. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I just want to see Cristiane and Asllani up top to start and play the full 90. I'm not a fan of Masar and I don't think she meshes well with Cristiane. I still say play Nogueira for the full 90, she is an impact player and I think she deserves a start based on her play so far. I would say it's iffy that Carney or Formiga start but I see them both in the second half again with Sitch and Klein being taken out.

12. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So would you put Nogueira on the wing and Cristiane and Asllani up top then with Masar on the bench?

I'd like to see that... but we'll see.

13. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Yes, that it is my ideal lineup. Asllani, Cristiane, and Nogueira are all creative players, and they seem to be meshing well together.

14. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    So you'd like to see:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Asllani, Cristiane, Nogueira, Chapman, Klein, Sitch, Dieke, Engen, Markgraf, Dalmy, Loyden[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Sorry...I'd never used the little line-up thing before, and I'd been dying to. So with this line-up, would you sub Formiga in for Klein and Carney in for Chapman? Masar or McDonald in for who?

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't i have the same lineup in like.. post #2? lol

Ummm I'd sub Carney in for Sitch. Masar for Nogueira. Like I said before, it depends on the score. If we're winning, then put in Formiga to clog the midfield. If we need the goal, then put in Masar and McDonald for immediate offense.

16. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Guilty. Just wanted to make one of those line-ups haha.

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha thats why I made one too. :)

18. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Masar and Cristiane don't mesh well because they're bascially the same player. Both need the ball at their feet while moving towards goal. Cristiane has better dribbling skills but Masar is more explosive. What we really needed was a Cheney/Wambach-type forward to compliment either Cristiane or Masar. Instead, we have Asllani and McDonald.

Cristiane hasn't looked sharp so far. In fact, despite what the team says about her coming into the season in great shape, she actually looks out of shape. If she improves, I'd start her and Asllani up top and pull her at half-time and put in Masar. If Cristiane isn't more productive, I'd use her as a sub and start Masar and Asllani up top with Cristiane coming in after 60 minutes.

Some time at or soon after half-time, I'd also put in Carney for Sitch. I'd leave the third sub open depending on the game situation.

I wish I knew how soon we get Rapinoe back...

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cristiane has had her looks. She hit that bullet of a shot at Solo on Sunday. I think she came into the season with huge expectations of carrying the team offensively. Obviously, she can't do it all alone and, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but she has passed much, much more often that she did last year. Which is a great positive. I think her and Asllani complement well, they just have hardly played together. Once they get use to each other, they will both start scoring.

20. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Rapinoe could be back next week technically, but I'm guessing the girl must be in awful shape because she's had some sort of illness or other since like December. Hopefully in a week or two she can at least play 45 minutes and split games with Nogueira, I think they would be the perfect 1, 2 punch.

And as far as Nogueira is concerned, I may be wrong, but I don't think she's ever been a 90 minute player. I don't think she can stay focused that long. In college I believe she would start, get subbed out during the first half and then get subbed in towards the end of the game because she was such a great finisher. That's why I'd use her as a sub and not a starter, because she probably can't play 90 effectively and she's got a history of scoring late in games at key moments.

Carney and Formiga were looking not completely exhausted with their time last game, but I'm assumming they will need another week or two inorder to become 90 fit, and when they do become 90 fit I assume they will be playing full games (Formiga in place of Klein). That's why I think Hayes will just use the same starting lineup as last time and then sub Nogueira and Carney somewhere around half for Masar and Sitch, moving Asllani up front to take Masar's place, and then playing it safe and waiting for the last 10 minutes to put in Formiga, just like last game, inorder to make sure her best finishers are still in the game when it's most important to have them around.

21. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cristiane has been spending far too much time in midfield. That's not where she needs to be. She needs to be up top moving around and showing for the ball.

Of course, it didn't help that our midfield was playing too narrowly in the first half and StL was successful in clogging up the middle.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I still think she will play much better once her and Asllani get accustomed to each other. Asllani's speed and Cristiane's dribbling skill would be a perfect combination. They just can't yet with these injuries to our wing mids.. :(

23. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Game day! Unfortunately, I have an audition tonight and won't be able to watch the game, but I'm still excited. Go Red Stars!

24. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you auditioning for?

25. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    A musical. But I forgot it isn't for another two hours, so I'll be able to MT some of the game. And Carney is starting, which is very exciting. Good to see her get the start. This also means Cristiane and Asllani are up top together finally, with no Masar.