Sky Blue FC Season Preview, y'alls

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by AllWhiteKit, Apr 6, 2010.

1. AllWhiteKit

AllWhiteKit New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ok almost done with the previews here. There will inevitably be some mistakes/ommissions so let me know. :D

Check it out here: http://twurl.nl/cu8q4e

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misspelled "omissions". :p

I noted at some point that Sky Blue had the most players called into the latest WNT camp of any WPS team, and that was without Kai or Rampone. Odds are they're going to do well this year. (Frankly, I never understood why they hired Sawyers in the first place when they had Charlie Naimo in the organization.)

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @JeffKassouf Sky Blue FC goalkeeper Jenni Branam out ~2 months with fractured patella, suffered in Monday's scrimmage vs. Arsenal World Class boys.

4. AllWhiteKit

AllWhiteKit New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Damn, there goes my preseason rankings.........

5. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Yes, I would say so. That hurts them a lot.

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karen Bardsley is an excellent goalkeeper. This may not hurt Sky Blue as much as you'd think. (As long as she stays healthy)

college: Cal St Fullerton (when current USC coach Ali Khosroshahin was coach; also I think a teammate of Gold Pride's Kandace Wilson)

England - should be getting the start for her national team except, for some reason, Hope Powell insists on sticking with Rachel Brown.

W-League experience: Ajax America and (I think) one of Charlie Naimo's teams.

Backup for Sky Blue last year - she did fine.

7. bekairos

bekairos New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Yes-- Pali Blues. (Although she was the backup there too, to Philadelphia's Val Henderson.)

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is England's schedule this year?

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Didn't Branam end up getting the permanent starting gig last season only after Bardsley hurt her back? Granted, iirc, Bardsley hadn't beat Branam out significantly (ie it was 1a & 1b rather than 1 & 2).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Branam fan (despite the fact that she's guaranteed to have at least one significant mental lapse per game) and loved seeing her do well last season -- this injury sucks. But in some ways it makes Miettinen's job easier.

And Bardsley did get the start over Brown in the recent WCQs.

10. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Bummer about Branam, but Bardsley did a fine job for them when she played last season. I actually thought she might have won the starting spot, but as I recall, she had some lingering injury issues early in the season. I agree that she should be seeing more time in goal for England--I've seen Rachel Brown give up some howlers. At least Bardsley's getting more starts for them, and not just against the minnows. I think Sky Blue will do just fine with her in goal. But I'm curious to see who they use as their insurance keeper, since they really do need another with Branam out. Is Sophia Perez still working for the club?

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the Meet the Team on Saturday, Gerry the GM said that Jenni's operation went well (doctors- "unremarkable") and recovery is projected at 8-12 weeks.

Overheard Anita Asante say she is working out with the team.

12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Bardsley did fine in the season opener on FSC and got the shutout.