Sky Blue FC @ Chicago Red Stars Pre-In-Post Game, 5/10 [R]

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by cobi13, May 10, 2009.

1. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Boy, Sunday afternoon and no thread? Idk...

Though I am glad when SBFC is on TV, the entire country is missing Marta vs. Kelly Smith for the second straight week. In short: not cool. Anyway, I don't see Sky Blue pulling this game off. Chicago is just too good. Then again, who saw the lowly Red Bulls winning 4-1 Friday night? Anything can happen.

Some previews:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4801-NY-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m5d10-Sky-Blue-FC-looking-for-confidence-not-stressing-results-against-Chicago

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/168084-sky-blue-will-need-flawless-game-to-stop-white-hot-red-stars

http://ow.ly/5YEN

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/general/090508-chicago-skyblue-rematch.aspx

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering the amount of activiy the SkyBlue board has had in general, I wouldn't be surprised if I were you ;-)

7th minute, goal for NJ, Walsh
    congrats!

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's quiet in here. Are people looking for North Carolina and Netherlands boards?

4. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    2-0 win for Sky Blue FC. Shocking if you ask me, but I am glad they got off the shnide the same week that Athletica did. Some problems I see as related to this board:

1) I am wondering how many Sky Blue fans watched this and know what the team just did.

2) I am wondering how many Sky Blue fans there are period. I am very interested to see what May 31 brings at Rutgers against the Breakers...

5. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Congratulations to Sky Blue on the win. I think Sky Blue is capable of playing with any team. They don't have any one superstar that can carry the team on their shoulders but they have some good overall players that get the job done. I have no answer as to why there are not many posts on this board. Sky Blues location isn't bad but its not in a major city like some other teams. I am not familar with the mens side but maybe Sky Blue can work something out with the Red Bulls. They have a new stadium in Harrison, N.J. set to open in 2010 and seat 25,000.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to SkyBlue for the win. The through balls & runs clicked better this game. In the clips from the FCPride game, they got chances but did not finish. In this game they finished two chances. HAO's shot off the crossbar likely dented it. Dowling had a strong game as well. Branam had a serviceable game and made the saves she needed to make. Her kicking (supposedly a strength) was very inconsistent.

Kai had a goal but didn't really look threatening for long stretches. The announcers mentioned a possible shoulder issue. Any word on that? I was surprised to see Yael come in as a forward as she (to my mind) is very much a holding mid. Can anyone with more info on the team speak to that positional change?

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The shoulder questions were asked after Kai was fouled/fallen on near the touchline and her jersey was stretched over her shoulder. It was never addressed later in the match by the announcers.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. At that point, she was holding her arm like people w/ shoulder injuries do (that sort of straight, stiff but a tad low thing) which made me wonder. Glad that she's not carrying an injury.

Odd historical note: It was a shoulder injury that finally made Akers hang it up. I believe I remember reading an interview w/ her where she said the rehab for the shoulder injury was "worse" than the many knee injury rehabs she'd done. Of course, all of her other conditions/medical issues played a role, too.

9. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Apparently she has a history with the shoulder. Its an injury that has always been there. I guess she has learned to play with it not 100%.

10. parkers3

parkers3 Guest

We are a family of Sky Blue FC fans. I am regularly on Big Soccer. Although I haven't posted under WPS, I do read the posts here.

I was not surprised by the Sky Blue FC victory. Sky Blue FC plays excellent defense...the offensive goals will come with time (just like they did yesterday).

Great game to watch on Fox Soccer Channel!

11. parkers3

parkers3 Guest

I have to disagree on this. I have already had my fill of Marta. (For me, it's a new take on Jan in The Brady Bunch Movie, all we hear is "Marta! Marta! Marta!" :p )

12. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Congratulations to Sky Blue on a nice and convincing win!

Dowling, McCallum, and Parker are all players about whom I know little, but each impressed me, so I'll be looking to learn more and wish them all good luck.

On Kool-Aide's question about Averbuch, I am also a little confused. Ali Hawkins was the holding midfield during most of Averbuch's time at Carolina. Averbuch played that role only during the year Hawkins was red-shirted, and it did not seem a natural fit for her. She played mostly as a central and attacking midfielder, but certainly did not seem to be honing her chops to become a striker. I'm less aware of how she was played on the US youth teams? So (unlike Kool-Aide) while I haven't thought of her as a holding midfielder/distributor, I was equally surprised to see her up top. Do folks know what her expected role is?

13. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I am happy with both Parker and Sitch. Branam did what she had to do but I don't have a problem with Bardsley in goal either. Dowling has been in the WNT pool before. Glad to have Rampone playing in N.J.

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sitch is now perilously close to a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation. She has 3 now and the 4th means a suspension. She has to play four games without a yellow to get the slate wiped clean.