Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I'm gonna see if I can remember what my sports conditioning consists of...

warmup
    cardio for 3 minutes or so
    then we move onto "stations" for 3 mins or so
    The stations usually consist of.....
    pushups
    crunches
    overhead presses with dumbells
    lunges
    squats
    biceps
    triceps
    wall sits
    step ups
    box jumps

Cardio usually consists of jumping rope, jumping jacks, various step aerobics stuff, ski jumps side to side, sprints, shuttle runs.

I try to hit it every Tuesday and Friday.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Jeff have you conisedered getting a set of skis devoted to skiing in crappy conditions?

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I have an emergency pair but have never used them. Got them at Play it Again Sports for $20, 1/2 of what it cost to tune them up. I'm scared to use them my first time out in a season.

4. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    First day at Loveland was excellent considering how early in the season it was. 1 top to bottom run which I took about 15 trips down. All in all a good start, save for a nice twistaround wipeout where I lost both my skis at the end. That happens when you get tired and lean too far forward, then turn around too quickly in an attempt to balance yourself. Oh well it was awesome to be out on the slopes again.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Lucky bastard!!!!! What were the conditions? How many people were there? Why type of run was it?

"Weather experts" here in Idaho are saying we are going to have a dry winter. :eek: Good news for my daily commute to work. Bad news for my snowboard, skate skis, and backcountry skis.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Conditions were New Englandesque. The snow was hardpack but in good shape, all things considered. You ain't grooming snow with that small of a base, or you won't have snow to ski on.

This weekend will be the first entry on my new web site that I'm going to workon later this week. Or at least one page dedicated to skiing. Not that anybody gives a rat's ass.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    What's the URL?

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Ain't ready yet. Maybe later this week.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    It's been raining off and on throughout the night.

As I was driving into work on the interstate I looked north and lo and behold Bogus Basin was covered in white. Now there is no telling how much snow they had up there. Probably just a dusting. Oh well. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    At the Colorado Mountain Club Ski night last night, I was told that A-Basin had 4 inches at the base over the Tue.-Thu. snow shower period, while Loveland had as many as 8 inches. Forecast for snow showers in the mountains for 6-7 of the next 10 days.

No skiing this weekend though. Too much to do.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The mountain regions apparently got slightly more snow today than Denver. Good.

Copper Mountain and Keystone are supposed to open Friday. Saturday I head to Loveland unless things change or Keystone has a several trails open.

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Snow has been landing across the state in the higher elevations.

Looks like a storm system is heading across Oregon tonight. Blue Mountain's are suppose to get 10 inches.

:eek:

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    My close friend Mr. Pow der Dump is coming back tomorrow. Maybe only an inch or two in the city and mountains but I'm of the school that says every inch helps so that's a good thing, especially when trying to build a base.

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loveland had picked up about 9" by 7am Wed with more durning the day. Still I doubt any area will have much open till Thanksgiving. But it does look like a good early season out West and in the East.

15. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Killington supposedly opened last weekend but those mofo jackoffs don't count.

The one run Loveland had open two Saturdays ago was fantastic. Copper Mtn is supposed to open Friday but I have no clue what they'll have. Keystone is pushed back a week.

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Bogus Basin got one inch overnight.

Sun Valley, I THINK, has 12 inches. But don't quote me on that.

There is a small ski swap this weekend that I am not partaking in but next weekend is the big one. The Bogus Basin Ski Racing Alliance ski swap. It's HUGE!!! Gonna try to get rid of some clothing and my skate skis :eek:.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Good luck Fear.

Loveland opens up two more runs and another chair tomorrow. 34 inches of natural snow already this season, their email newsletter says. That makes it 2 lifts and 7 trails tomorrow. That's plenty for me considering how early it is.

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Make that 2 lifts and 11 trails. Fantastic early season conditions, better than I had any right to expect. There were a few squabbles at the base lift about cutting in line, and actually the lines were a bit long. That's what happens when you're the only area around that didn't just open yesterday, but I can ski so I ain't complainin'.

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Here's the ski journal, something I'm doing for fun and to keep some HTML/Javascript skills.

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Hey does anyone here use one of those winterized CamelBaks? I've got several non winter Camelbak's and I'm thinking of buying one of the winter ones.

When I cross country ski...if I'm on loop trails where the lodge is easily accessible I use an Ultimate Directions water bottle holster. For long trips in the backcountry I always pack several Nalgene bottles in my backpack.

21. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    no, but my brother in seattle used to take a regular camelbak on hikes on mt. rainier and the water always froze in the tube. he wasn't very happy. camelbak sells an insulated cover for the tube, so it won't freeze. he said he was going to get one of those, but i haven't heard how it worked out.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    EPL galore will prevent me from hitting the slopes on Saturday. Oh well there's always Sunday. Life rocks either way.

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Both employees and customers of the REI I work at are very antsy for the winter sports season to kick off. But there are several of us that are worried that this is going to be a dry winter in SW and Central Idaho. :(

24. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody in the Northeast? Killington is off to there best early season ever. They can't open more lifts because they don't have the staffe. Some of the terrain they are opening is on natural snow only.

25. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i've been burned by killington's "great early season" too many times in the past to give them another shot. usually you have to stop halfway down the trail, remove your skis/board, walk 100 yards and then continue skiing/riding. in fact, i really don't trust any ski area owned by the ASC.