Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    so, it's 4 days at killington or a season pass for all three mountains. why do i live here again????

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    In all honesty, I think the Colorado passes were created to attract more local skiers to the mountains, to help safeguard against declining travel/chance of declining travel (started a few years ago when travel was still high). It is a hell of a deal though.

Last year, knowing I may be out of work for a while, I purchased a Sunday-Friday Threedom pass in NH for $319. Covered Waterville Valley, Loon Mountain, and Cranmore Mountain resort. There may be deals out there that aren't Killington-like ripoffs.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Two hour hike tonight.
    20 mile ride tomorrow.
    Possible long ass hike in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area on Sunday.

There is a slight nip in the air in the morning and evening. I love the start of fall!!!

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    This week I'm starting strength training classes at my alma mater. These classes also incorporate balance training. By the time opening day rolls around I'll be set!!!

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I get back in the gym today after 4 days off. Circuit Training resumes tomorrow, as I want to get a regular workout in before getting back to that. I'll start doing my squats/calf raises tonight too, 3-5 days a week, never on the same day as a hike or circuit workout though.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Ugh. My sports conditioning class kicked my ass today. Whoulda thunk that the lesbian couple woulda been better than me. Oh well. One of the things about transitioning from summer mode into fall mode is getting the body to adapt. Most of this summer I just spent my time with long rides and runs. Didn't do too much in the way of working the fast twitch muscles. And that is what got me tonight. Ugh. Give me two weeks and I'll be good to go.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Easy hike today to help get myself in shape, only 5-6 miles, but I have another one tomorrow. Circuit workout either Sun. or Mon. I think I'll be okay, legs won't kill until about 3 pm on the slopes.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Wrong. After four straight days of rigorous workouts my body has now adapted to it. Sure I'm a lil' sore still but it's not like I want to keel over and die. Took it easy tonight and just played Galaga with my friend Scott. Tomorrow evening I will go on a short 10 mile ride. Sunday and Monday I am hoping to go backpacking.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
  10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Got back from a quick overnight backpacking trip. 5 miles in, 5 miles out. I used trekking poles this time and mimicked the poling motion used in the classical style of XC skiing. I kicked ass!

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Interesting little web site project on lost ski areas in New England: http://www.nelsap.org

Never knew so many existed.

12. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    Jeff,

Did you make it to Sniagrab? I think it is still going on so I'm going to try to go pick up some new goggles.

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Did not, but I went to Colorado Ski and Golf on Parker Rd in Aurora to pick up my Colorado pass. They had last year's Smith goggles for $19.99. I found two pair that fit over my glasses a lot more than my old goggles did, so I got 2 pair. I figure something's bound to happen to one so I stocked up. The new goggles I can take off without the glasses coming with them. The old ones were too snug so wearing them didn't do any good.

About the only thing I can say I need are a backup pair of downhill poles just incase something really goofy happens, so no Sniagrab for me.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    It's still going on here.

I finally found a pair of Oakley's (I forgot the model name) that fit over my glasses. Most manufacturers do make goggles specifically for us eyeglass wearing folks.

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    While working at REI last night I noticed either Skiing or Ski magazine put out their "Best Of" issue. Anyone else get it?

Winter clothing has made it's way onto the floor of our store.

Hmmm...not too sure if I'm anxious for summer to get outta here right now. The weather around here is absolutely gorgeous and is great cycling/hiking weather.

16. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I think it's Skiing magazine, saw it today.

I haven't gotten a SKI magazine in ages, I should have gotten one by now. Don't think the subscription's else.

17. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting close maybe only a month before the early bird areas open.

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I hope. The earliest I've seen in CO is Nov. 1 for Keystone and one other. Given the summer weather, the only area I give a chance to make that date is Loveland because of where they are (juuuust east of the Continental Divide) more than anything else.

Although I believe Timberline in OR is about to close for 3 weeks like they do every year, and then open right back up.

Killington in VT doesn't count if they open early. The most obnoxious resort on the planet "let's put all our ski guns on one run so we can be cool and the first to open in the east." Doesn't cut it with me, you gotta have at least one trail for all ability levels open to be really open.

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Targeted opening dates, at least in Colorado:

http://skicolorado.org/

Pleasantly surprised that A-Basin is trying to open in mid Nov. May be tough since they just got snowmaking, and not as much as they'd like.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry to interlope where I don't belong, since I haven't X-country skied in 8 years or so, but... some of you Nordic types -- especially those doing your pre-season conditioning -- might like a book I just finished. It's by Bill McKibben, and it's called Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously. A couple years ago, between writing projects, he decided to take a year off and devote himself entirely to conditioning, and then spending a full winter competing in various Nordic events. It zips along, it's funny (also sad, as his physical improvements are contrasted with his father's failing health). But if you're a fan of Nordic skiing, this would probably be a great read (he doesn't specifically compare nordic skiing to soccer in the US, but if you're a fan of soccer, you can make the connection).

(And if X-country skiers tend not to like this book, I'd appreciate hearing their critiques).

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    No problem, in fact if you have more to offer, post away. I hope to X-ctry this winter, but it all depends on natural snow.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Heavy showers forecast for the Denver area today. The good stuff: snow as low as 9,000 feet. Lower than nearly every ski run. Now that snow obviously won't hold since the ground isn't cold enough, and temps in many mountain areas have hardly hit freezing overnight. It's a nice comforting thought nonetheless.

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking at the snow pics all day.

24. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    I just got an email from a friend and Copper Mountain is offering 4 days for $69. There are a couple of blackout dates around the holidays but otherwise it looks like a great deal.