Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Post it all here. Downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing. Anything and everything, favorite mountains, resorts, gear, trip descriptions, Vail and Killington bashing ;), deals you found, gear, you name it.

I'll start: hiking in the mountains near Idaho Springs, CO got me fired up to post this. Summer's fun and all, but ski season could only be four months away! <small>If we actually get precipitation more than once a month by then.</small>

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    The Spirit v Power match is boring me now.

I XC ski..skate (Rossignol), classic (Rossignol), and backcountry (Karhu). My main areas are at my local ski hill (Bogus Basin) and Idaho City which is like NE of here and about 2 hours or so from my house.

I got into snowboarding (Burton) this past winter and love it.

I work parttime at REI so I get all my gear cheap.

Oh yeah and I own several pairs of snowshoes. That is a fun sport that just about anyone that can walk can get into.

I hope the mountains of Idaho get a ton of good snow this upcoming winter.

Sometime this fall I am going toget new skate skiing gear. Probably the Salomon Pilot boot and binding system and Fischer skiis. But supposedly Fishcer skiis are a bitch to prodeal so Rossignol will be my number two choice.

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Even though it's near 100 outside, I'm always game for discussing gear.

Downhill: Rossignol skis, Goode poles, Boeri helmet

X-Ctry: Visu skis (hybrid of touring/backcountry)

Snowshoe: I forget the brand name, but they are geared for easy trips, nothing in the 11-14K foot range. I've only snowshoed about 8 times so I don't need a good pair of Altases just yet.

Local areas: I'll let you know this winter, I've only been to Copper and A-Basin, both in late Spring so I didn't get a huge feel for them.

I'm hoping for lots of powder too, but Colorado is in need of a hefty snowpack to ease the drought next year more than I'm in need of powder.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Hey Jeff are you gonna do any yurt trips this winter?

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Never done one actually. I won't rule it out, but it's unlikely, especially if the job situation doesn't get a lot better. I'm more of a day trip guy, but if I have the funds I'll give it a shot.

6. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i currently ride a k2 dart, but i will be replacing that in the fall. haven't decided on a new one yet. i have burton boots and bindings.

jeff, don't get me started on the american ski company. mt snow and killington were WAY better before these clowns became involved. it used to be about the snow - now it's about everything off the slopes. i better stop now before i get carried away.

next year, we hope to go to whistler or make a return visit to tahoe.

but in the meantime it's mountain biking and hiking!

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I hear you chachi, personally the only ASC resort I was thrilled with was Sunday River. You're absolutely right about overemphasizing off slopes stuff.

If you're ever in CO, you'd like Arapahoe Basin. It's I want to say 90 minutes west of Denver, maybe a bit less if you take US 6 through Loveland Pass (it's a beautiful but scary as hell drive). Other than their beach party in the spring (I want to go to this myself), it's all about the slopes.

If you can make it to NH without too much difficulty, then Cannon Mountain would be perfect for you. Minimal frills but kick ass skiing and riding.

Speaking of hiking, two pretty good 8-10 mile jaunts this weekend. Today's recovery day.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    How close are the trails to you?

All the good stuff is 2-3 hours away from me. :(

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Hiking trails are as close as 30 minutes away, with surprisingly steep and aerobic challenges in some of the foothills parks just west of Denver. Biking: everywhere, though I didn't get a chance to pick up mountain biking this year.

Skiing: I need to research X-Ctry trails, especially since Denver and the near metro area (I understand) really does not get a lot of snow, or at least snow that sticks. Downhill/Boarding: anywhere from 1 to 4 hours, depending on how far west on I-70 you're willing to go.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I know this thread is about snow sports, but I went on a moonlight hike on a mountain pass Friday night. Man, it was cold! It had to have been in the 30s at the top of the mountain (nearly 12,500 feet). The point: it immediately made me think of how I usually like temps in the 30s 'cuz I'm a ski freak, but I dunno about going from the 90s of Denver to 30s w/in 3 hours. ;) Besides, I needed to keep this on the first page.

11. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Vail sucks. One of the most aggrevating experiences of my life transpired there.

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vail can blow, its best to go there in an off peak time. LAst time I was there I scalped a ticket for $30, which was nice. Brought my own lunch too.

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Just got the new 2003 Burton snowboard catalog. Nice!

So when do you folks start your pre-season conditioning?

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I took the weekend off to go to DC, but I try to stay in decent shape year round. No particular preseason conditioning, but I am getting back on to circuit training (Whole body workout, fast pace) on Tuesday. I'll start emphasizing leg strength a bit more know that the season's 4 mos. away.

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I work parttime at REI and here we are on the tailend of summer and we have already gotten some winter clothing in as well as a dozen or so new bindings for display. And last night at the climbing wall there were three of us talking about how much we were wanting winter to get here. :eek:

As far as preseason conditioning goes...I pretty much maintain my cardio system year round but when September hits I start concentrating on my legs more.

16. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I want at least cooler temperatures to get here. Haven't even been able to go on bike paths because of 90+ temps. Anyway, gear: Outside mag sent me its gear issue a few mos. ago but I never got a chance to look at it. If there's anything that stands out I'll post it.

17. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i am seriously drooling over the new burton custom board. although, my local shop may have be a little flexible in price for me to buy it. i would buy in a second, but i'm getting married next month, and spending $450+ on a new deck without first discussing it isn't a good way to begin a marriage. i did, however, convince my lady to go to whistler for a week next year!

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding! That comes first though before a new board.

Jealous of Whistler. Due to finances, I ain't going anywhere that's not drivable.

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Bump

Oh I don't know about that.

REI is slowly getting in cold weather clothing. NICE!!!

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Signed up for email reports and mailing lists at lots of Colorado ski resorts today.

The Ski gear issue should come out soon. I don't read much of that because I get frustrated looking at gear I can't afford. I will know then that the other issues are only a month away.

Colorado passes back on sale Labor Day Weekend.

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Bump

And tonight I bought some cold weather cycling gear. :eek:

*sigh*

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Correction: Colorado Passes on sale Friday!

Buddy Pass: $249, Breckenridge / A-Basin / Keystone

Colorado Pass: $319, same + 10 days at Vail and maybe Beaver Creek.

Blackout Dates: 12/26 - 1/2 and Presidents' DAy Weekend, when I don't downhill ski anyway!

This could be a great winter!

23. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    are you telling me that a season pass to breckenridge AND a-basin AND keystone is only $249????????

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I paid $199 for my annual pass to Bogus Basin.

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Yes I am. Got the rates at Colorado Ski and Golf last night.

http://www.arapahoebasin.com has rates for just A-Basin.

Back to Ski and Golf tomorrow for the pass and a second pair of goggles. Last night I got a pair of Smiths that are specifically designed for glasses for $19.99 + tax. At that price I might as well get a second pair since it's inevitable something will happen to the first.