SKC vs Chivas USA Season opener 3/19 P/I/P [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Mar 12, 2011.

1. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, the US still hasn't announced a roster for the friendlies on the 26th & 29th... :eek:

2. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Teal practiced today but the padding on his arm and the fact that it doesn't appear to allow him to move it probably does really mean that while he has been cleared he probably won't make the lineup.

Sapong is a guy I have few worries about, I think he and Ellis both have a ton of potential. Was fun watching Ellis throw Davy Arnaud to the ground to get the ball at one stage -- nothing but fight in that kid and he is technically good.

Good time down there today, I'll blog on it later.

3. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is going to be a dangerous line-up this year, and once Smith is back, we should be scaring defenses.
    I bet Diop starts instead of Bunbury in this one though.

2-1 win for us with Bunbury getting a goal after being substituted in.

4. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    FYI Watch party @Johnny's Tavern. They are giving us priority over NCAA so lets show them some love. See you there

5. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe thats why Davy was getting so much joy out of sniping Kevin in paintball. That laugh was evil, man.

Sapong is really growing on me. His strength is really intriguing me. I've never seen him play in person, but from watching clips it looks like he can hold off just about anyone. He may have been the right choice at 10 after all (only time will tell). I mean, I really do buy the fact that not that many of the people doing the draft previews really saw him play. If he was at Akron, theres no doubt he'd be higher on the list.

Did you see Besler play? See anything concerning him? I'm anxious to see how he plays after bulking up.

6. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not typically cool to cheer for a player on the opposing team, but I figure we could make an exception for this one (and it won't be flying during the match, just during the pre-game...and maybe afterwards for a moment...depending on the outcome).

This is the new 2-pole banner Kory and I made, and it will make it's debut at the First Kick match on Saturday.
    [​IMG]

7. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, you have it right - it's totally cool to cheer for a player on the opposition before and after the game, just not during. That is assuming, of course, that the player has some reason to be recognized from a KC perspective, which this one obviously has.

8. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People can take their fan notions and stick them up their asses ... I'll applaud Jimmy before and after and I have no problem with that banner or any other that honors a servant to this team who played as well as JC did for as long as he did.

9. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    2-2. Bravo scores in front of the "home"crowd. Chivas ties it on a header off a set piece. Sapong subs in to make it 2-1. Our soft central D takes a crap penalty late. Spot kick makes it 2-2. I will settle for a point on the road to start the season.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're wanting a .500 road trip, this game you're going to want 3 points out of. With the tail end of our road trip having games against New York, LA, Seattle, Colorado, and Toronto (haven't been good, but they are tough at home), points are going to be hard to come by.

11. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100%. If this season is going to be a success at all getting points in the first five games is vital and it needs to start by winning this first game.

12. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NorthbankHighbury again.

This... times 10. Conrad was a class act, and of massive importance to us, and I'd love to see that banner up any time.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rocastle has no business starting further up like that. replace him with zusi. then because bunbury won't play, move bravo into the middle. ...arrrgh, i just really hate the 4-3-3 system. i hate having to force center forwards to play out wide.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he won't be, Rocastle will be sitting deeper with Auvray.

15. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

I'd really like to see Bravo/Bunbury up top, with (when he's fit) Smith-Rocastle or Auvray-Arnaud-Kamara in the mid...

We tried to run the ball up the center constantly last season in a 4-3-3, and it really didn't work well for us. For some reason though, the coaching staff seems to be in love with the idea of running up the center. Unfortunately, when that is basically all you do, they shut you down. If you can make a credible threat of going down the wings and crossing the ball in, you're going to keep the defenders stretched wider. Ah..heck, what do we know.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course part of that has to do with the fact that our field was on the small side, compacting the field and forcing us to attack in the middle more because there were no wings really to play with. Some of our best performances were on bigger fields were we could use the wings more.

We can all agree though that the use of these tactics at CAB were completely and totally wrong. You work your formation for your home field where you play most of your games and that was one of our issues last season.

17. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kuhnscoot again

under PV this team has always looked very capable on a large field.

18. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a good point, as is Morry's..

We did look better on big fields. I guess it's a good thing We're starting off at Home Depot center - we seem to play well there.

That said - Was it that there were no wings, or that we couldn't moderate our passing so that crosses didn't overshoot and go out the other side? Could that have been part of the problem with our corner kicks last year as well - a choice between floating it in, or driving it low and fast?

19. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't remember the lsat time I saw the guys drilling corners ...... doesn't seem like a super common occurrence.

20. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your experience is typical of the norm, then I can see why we didn't score a goal off a corner last season (that I can recall, anyway).

Our corners were absolutely unacceptable last year. I know we're not going to always score, but we had people who were decent in the air, and it was one of the few times that we actually got a wide ball to cross in, considering how narrow we played all year. We can't afford to waste those opportunities - we need to test the keeper off a corner at least a couple times a game, and by test, I don't mean head it or kick it right into his stomach.

21. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I disagree with what you said, but I think it's worth mentioning that:
    Shot On Goal >>> Shot Not On Goal

We had a lot of instances last season where we shot it right at the keeper, but I still think that was better than the year before where we shot wide of the post by a couple of feet consistently.

I mean, we should obviously strive to not shoot it straight at the keeper, but I'm perfectly fine with not trying to put every ball into a corner.

22. Kess13

Kess13 New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. A keeper could always mishandle a ball. *coughRobertGreencough*

23. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UFC title fight Sat. Rua vs Jon Jones. Guessing Johnnys will not have hte ppv? Anyone know?

24. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They generally don't do the PPV thing, but anything is possible. I would guess not, because their capacity and the cost.

25. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    They will not, its not really their thing and if anything NCAA would have priority. They committed to us over that so get down and show them some love.