SKC vs AUFC, Sunday, August 6

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by ATLfirefan, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming off the All-Star break, Atlanta faces one of its toughest road tests of the season, traveling to Kansas City. The stadium itself provides a blanketing atmosphere, but SKC has posted an unbeaten home record all season. AUFC will face a difficult test to take any points from this fixture and need to try to take points from any match in August, with only three matches this month.

The Wizards are in first place in a weaker Western Conference, as their 36 points would land them in fourth in the East. As mentioned, their 7-0-4 home record is due in large part to stingiest defense in all of MLS. They have conceded only 17 goals in 22 matches.

The Five Stripes will be without two key players: Josef Martinez and Greg Garza. The latter may be the more difficult replacement, as Mark Bloom is also out. Will Tata start Anton Walkes on the left? Mikey Ambrose? We shall see. Despite a rough time in May and June on the road, Atlanta has taken four points in their last two road matches. Any points would be a huge success for Atlanta this Sunday.

Sporting Kansas City:
    • Suspended: None
    • Int'l duty: None
    • Injuries: OUT: F - Cameron Porter (broken fibula and ligament damage in right ankle 8/2, out for season)
    Atlanta United
    • Suspended: None
    • Int'l duty: None
    • Injuries: OUT: F - Kenwyne Jones (knee inflammation), GK - Alec Kann (left quad injury 7/1, out 6-8 weeks), D - Mark Bloom (lower back injury) F - Josef Martinez (foot injury); DOUBTFUL: D Greg Garza (separated right shoulder)
    How does Tata replace Garza? Do we see Gressel or Vasquez start? Why is Graham Zusi still playing soccer?

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn I didn't even realize Bloom was hurt too. I guess that's why Ambrose checked in last game. Probably see Mears starting again? Not sure if he or Walkes is comfortable at LB.

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    3-0. KC drubs us. They're one of the best possession teams which certainly contributes to their stingy goals against. They're home. They boss the ball, we're weakened in the back, and still without Martinez up top.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer here but think this is too high a mountain to climb

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not sure it will be that bad, though. Atlanta has only been outclassed twice (IIRC) - @ NYC and @ Vancouver. And we know they didn't like it. They've played quite well since.

I also don't think SKC should be good for 3 if AU plays anything close to their defensive norm. I'm not saying 3-0 can't happen, but I'm expecting more like 2-1. Would love to sneak a draw.

Biggest thing for me will be team form. If they lose but still look like the team we've come to love then I'll be content, trusting they'll get results on the road trip.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    352?

------Villalba----Vasquez------
    Asad------Almiron-----Gressel
    ----Carmona---Larentowicz---
    ----LGP---Parky---Walkes-----
    ------------Guzan-------------

6. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutsy, gutsy performance. We were unlucky to have a penalty call against us, but lucky to find the equalizer. Gotta say, neither team played as well as they could have.

Carmona and Larentowicz became liabilities quickly due to their yellow cards which I do think affected the rest of the match.

I'm glad we just signed that Peterson guy. ;)

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As always, this is just one man's opinion.

- Not sure the source of this particular lull but I'm hoping it wasn't simply due to the absences. I know Martinez and Garza are key players but I'd hate to think all those lazy giveaways and that poor positioning were caused by the lineup alone.

Almiron and Asad had another of those games where they were so busy chasing the play on the back end or on opposite sides that they neglected their primary defensive duties as a whole. Whenever SKC had a transition game going it looked like their midfielders had ACRES of space to move forward, often due to AU players over-committing elsewhere. Need to fix this malaise. Tito contributed as well.

- Ambrose was a notable drop off from Garza, Granted, part of this was the situation as @ SKC might be 1 of 4 teams you'd hate to use for initiating lineup changes. Still, his link-up play was poor and his man marking was quite tepid even for a reserve defender. He's done better in the past so I'll forgive this, but he won't ever crack a starting lineup regularly with displays like that.

- Larentowicz and Carmona. Really, boys?! Those tackles for cards were plain stupid, not only for the risks but also because they were both unnecessary fouls in the middle of the pitch. Jeff, especially, surprised me with that display as it's so uncharacteristic. Maybe those were desperate reactions to that same poor displays we've referenced and the resulting cards just made matters worse. A domino effect regarding s****y defense. Still, you gotta do better. I would've felt no right to complain had Carmona been sent off with a 2nd yellow.

- Not liking the lone striker approach against strong possession teams. Atlanta is not so good in executing the press that they can keep the ball in the opposing half, so in games like yesterday Tito or Martinez will end up spending too much time and energy chasing the play rather then setting themselves up for the proper counterattack. Against the likes of RSL or Minnesota? Sure. SKC or NYC? Nope.

- Guzan has looked good but yesterday he and his defense had some communication issues. Granted, they also did a lot more ball handling then any defense would like, but still he was doing a lot of barking and directing with several players. I think the shuffle we've seen often of late with AU shifting toward a back 3 was never able to materialize, and in the confusion players were struggling to figure out their place.

- Peterson. a) Welcome back, and thank you! b) Still, the man-bun has to go.

8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Oof. That was a bottom 5 performace for the year, but still got a road point -- so that's a nice silver lining.

Ambrose is not ready. It's a lot to ask of him, but Gressel really has to step up a level in this formation when Martinez is out. Not sure he can do it.

I never realized Ike Opara was such a psycho.

9. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    (whistling through the graveyard)

Second best again and consider this a stolen point. Not that SKC was that good (they weren't but at least they were resting talent for the upcoming Cup game) we were stagnant once again. This team misses Josef bad.

On the bright side this could have been a real nightmare with the early yellows. Full marks to the defense for standing tough. 3 matches on the trot with late point savers. They keep this up and I'll miss the playoffs due to a cardiac arrest

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATLfirefan repped this.