SKC v Seattle 10/2 4 pm game thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by mschofield, Sep 30, 2022.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Forgot to note in header that the game is on Sunday.
    Our home closinger.
    While the deed will likely have been completed long before we hit the field, a win or tie for us officially ends any chance Seattle would have at the playoffs if every other game breaks in their favor over the weekend.
    It is impressive: Win CCL and miss the MLS playoffs, all in one season. But I would take that.
    I'm starting the thread because I had a thought that I think is interesting.
    As there is really almost nothing else on the line at this point, I ask who ends 2022 as our top scorer?
    Right now, JFR has 8 goals and 1 assist (tiebreaker). Agada has 7 goals, 2 assists. Salloi has 7 goals and 4 assists.
    The stats would suggest Agada, after 10 games, has a really good shot at it.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe will be suspended due to the red card he picked up Tuesday. Ruidiaz picked up an injury on national team duty and may not play. Lodeiro is back though along with their other internationals.

mschofield repped this.
  3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is Joao Paulo still out?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he tore his ACL, his season was done back in May.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of satisfying things in life, but in sports, not many are more satisfying than watching Seattle lose against SKC. This would be the whipped cream and cherry on top of a turd season. SKC aren't usually good after a long lay-off between games, so I hope they come out ready to take a scalp on Sunday.

mschofield repped this.
  6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was thinking he was like Pulido... Out for the year, but maybe not?

I wonder if his absence has even more of an impact on Seattle likely missing the playoffs than the CCL run.

mschofield repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think they're pretty connected, aren't they? Didn't the season ending injury come in the CCL final?
    I have to say that his case illustrates the thin line between incredible asset and anchor. IMO, he was the best at what he did in MLS. I had serious Paulo envy. I was convinced in March that if we could add him to the SKC 11, we'd right the ship.
    And I believe you are correct: His injury was a big reason Seattle failed to make the playoffs. Without the CCL run, Seattle is probably a favorite to win MLS Cup right now.
    OTOH, I'd rather have the CCL trophy. It's always cool to be the first.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results tonight guarantee that Seattle will still be alive for the playoffs for the game tomorrow.

9. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THAT was satisfying!

siskoeva repped this.
  10. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gutsy play to hold on to the win despite us looking decent. Very lucky Montero's chances did not go in (pulskamp wow! and Terrible shots Double Wow!). Happy to usher in History.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting that the bench keeper for this week in MLS was Frei, in a losing effort, but 10 saves is 10 saves.
    Thommy's game was pretty impressive. he conntected with 8 teammates, as did Fontas. That was a pretty fluid passing outing.
    I really wanted to beat Frei one more time, just because I found the second half really nerve wracking, but well played.
    It's amazing how much of a difference Agada makes for us. With a target up top, we're better in every phase of the game.
    So, the leading scorer for 2022 is now a tie, 8 for JFR and Agada.
    After the game, Zusi was talking about next season. But man, that lap of thanks really looked like a good'bye.

BenDover repped this.
  12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was Zusi's comment when asked about that lap.

kcfooty repped this.
  13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 shutouts in the last 6 games and 23 GF vs 7 GA since Aug 1. Those stats look like a team primed to make a deep run into the playoffs by peaking just at the right time. But,,,,oh well, too late.
    Anyway, a couple of things:
    1. With the defense looking much better due to teams having to respect the SKC attack, will that convince PV to keep the back line in-tact? Hearing his post game comments, PV loves consistency. I hope the current defensive success will not keep PV from looking to substantially improve the back line.
    2. Ben Sweat has gradually impressed me each week. Ndenbe would have to drastically improved his game for me to see him start over Sweat.
    3. Zusi was excellent last night and if he can sustain that level of play, I would love for him to return for another season.
    4. Pulskamp was not tested very many times, but he stepped up when he needed to and is gaining more confidence with each game. I'm still not convinced he is the answer for next season, but he definitely should be in the conversation.

kcfooty and mschofield repped this.
  14. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irony is a cruel mistress.

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Didn't Sweat join the team after battling some major injuries and being out of favor for several seasons? Honestly would make sense with Ndenbe going down with a hammy issue and Ben finally getting a run of games at full health... Might explain why he's suddenly looked pretty decent?

Watched Martins play for Vancouver, and he looked really solid too. I'm hopeful that Ndenbe will pan out better than both with time and experience, but I do feel like both Sweat and Martins were a bit over-scapegoated at times.

16. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweat is coming back from an ACL injury. That injury has a very long return to performance (not play). I felt like he was getting better as the season progressed and looking the part of a rotational starter.

Regarding the scape-goating, Sweat has been caught out of position, holding players onside, numerous times this year. Martins was just a terrible one v one defender.

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would be a great name for an S&M dungeon mistress.