Sixto Vizuete fired as NT Coach

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by clubtopia, Jan 27, 2015.

1. clubtopia

clubtopia New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Sixto Vizuete was let go by Chiriboga and a replacement will be named in 30 days. Sixto said something recently in the press and I guess Chiriboga didn’t like it because he fired him to everyone disbelief. Now where does that leave us? How can you find a replacement in 30 days and what good coaches are there? Rather what good butt kisser are there as we all know whatever FEF and Chiriboga says the new coach better follow. FEF is so corrupt that we will never be a power house. To many back room deals to have a great coach come here and do his thing and not to mentioned FEF is too cheap to pay anyone good. I think the FEF goal is just to make the World Cup make their money and that’s it. They don’t want to build a team with the best players they just select the ones that follow their orders. This is very upsetting and will not change until Chiriboga is ousted but we know that will not happened until another 4 years when he is up for elections again that he will win again and again.

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    El turco is free.

3. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    El bolillo is probably free, maturana? Anybody know any free Colombians?

4. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    From what i heard Chiriboga said Se va conocer el nuevo Tecnico de Ecuador en 30 dias y va a debutar contra Argentina. If this is what he said then it looks like to me that he knows who it will be and is working out a deal secretly. But damn who will this mystery man be, will we have a list of possible candidates to speculate from or is it already a done deal and all thats needed is a contract to be draw up and a signature. The most shocking person to me would be Alex Aguinaga. But whoever it will be let's hope they bring Ecuador to the next level

5. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Alex Aguinaga would suck. He hasn't proved himself anywhere.

6. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Sofia Vergara was just named the new Ecuador NT coach.

I can live with that ;)

GPisco repped this.
  7. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Unreal.

I don't understand any of this. Forgetting the U-20's for a moment, I don't see anybody better for the NT. He was doing everything right, we were getting good results, and most importantly, the team was playing well.

Now we are going to risk all of the progress and hire who?! I can't think of a single person who would not be a major risk. I do not believe that Bauza or Fossatti are available. None of the guys coaching in Ecuador have had any successful international experience. Alex Aguinaga is the only other qualified Ecuadorian I can think of, but he also has no real credentials. If we go outside then the problem becomes having someone who is not familiar with our players and teams. I'm not sure who's available anyway that would really make a difference.

This whole thing smells like a disaster. Vizuete apparently found out through the media. He'll get the blame for the U-20's being eliminated, when first of all I didn't understand why he was coaching both teams anyway. In either case it doesn't make sense to me that he'd be fired from the senior team for one bad tournament with the U-20 team. Especially since he's the one that's responsible for the success of our junior teams over the past several years.

Everyone who saw the friendly matches we played agreed 100% that he is the right guy. I don't know what has changed that unless Jefferson Montero is suddenly running the NT.

8. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    i think it might be from the campinato meaning gustavo quintero or repetto
    i was actually thinking about it remeber how they both coached the extranjeros of the campionato gustavo quintero and pablo repetto together best case scenario both of them get chosen quinteros as head coach and repetto as assistant

9. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Quintero is not leaving Emelec. It's already confirmed. As for Repetto....the dude has no experience at the senior level with any sort of NT squad. Only a small-tier club in Sangolqui. Sure the team is talented and with great youth divisions, but that's more of an institutional success, and less on Repetto.

Talking to my guys on Sixto's squad, everyone is blindsided. Regardless of how things happen with politics and whatnot, courtesy always dictates that a dismissal is done face-to-face or over the phone before the media can get its hands on the news. That's just being decent. Truth be told, Chiriboga and his cronies (who are a cast of corrupt guys) are totally and utterly lost in what is professional decency and courtesy.

Chiriboga approached Bauza after he committed to San Lorenzo. And Fossatti is a true mercenary. I think that guy wouldn't stay in a fixed place for 4 years anymore- despite how highly I think of him.

Without a doubt, in my honest opinion, this was a political maneuver that will have serious implications for the squad. A lot of Sixto's guys are still very young, and loyal to him, which bodes badly for transitions. Sixto was never really given a fair shake, and it's evident that the FEF doesn't care about what that staff will do now that the U20 went bust and they just kicked them to the curb from the NT- at a mid-season point for most leagues, this is the worst moment to get booted. Let's just see what happens next. Sigh....we were on our way up.

10. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If you guys forgot, Vizuete already had his chance and nothing came out of it. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is?

11. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    According to El comercio Quinteros is the new NT.hmmm. for me Bauza was the better option.

12. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Damn that was a surprise i thought they said Quinteros was out of the picture

13. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    #13 javer, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    the best realistic option would have been him and repetto together repetto as his assistant of course that way there a little less bias towards players better training sessions and more organization within the team but tbh dont how i feel about all this let just see what happens he has some experience and we have a decent set of players to chose from he cant do that bad

14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    So who are the candidates?
    I'm sorry but everyone in Ecuador seems to suffer from the same loss of memory. Vizuete took over the NT after LF Suarez left it dead and gone. 0 points and -11 GD after 4 games in the qualifiers. Vizuete then managed to take us to fighting for the repechaje. Yes the loss to Uruguay hurt badly but overall Vizuete won us many more games than he lost.

Now after 4 years of Rueda making me want to poke my eyes out every match with the most boring, conservative style of soccer, at least Vizuete in these last few months had the team looking sharp and playing with some style. He was calling the right players, trying out young guys and the team was clicking. I simply cannot understand why we could not keep him until the Copa America at least.

I like what Quinteros has done with Emelec, but the NT is always a different story. Ecuador cannot buy players like when you manage a club. The international game is different, the opponents are at a completely different level than anything he'll have faced in Ecuador. Also his experience managing Bolivia is not exactly a story of success.

All in all, I fail to understand any of this.

15. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    We have plenty of attacking players, the thing is that we haven't played attacking futbol in 4 years. You can't compare Ecuador and Bolivia, not even close.

16. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Manolo, I for one accept that Vizuete received a team that was down and out, he did a great job motivating our boys and we played some of the best futbol we've ever played, no one can take that from Vizuete, but we must also remember the real reason we were eliminated and it's simple, Vizuete was never able to close games, besides Venezuela we dropped home points against Brasil, Uruguay, Colombia and Paraguay, many times Vizuete was to blame, I clearly remember the game Against Paraguy with less than 7 minutes to go and Paraguay was all ver us, Sixto still had 2 subs left.

Regarding Rued I believe you are being unfair when you say that "every match" you wanted to poke your eyes out, in my opinion Ecuador was playing a fantastic Qualifier up until Chucho's death, it's understandable, look how Suarez' absence affected Uruguay in the World Cup, now, I agree we had a horrible World Cup and it was time for Rueda to go, but I have to say that during the first 10-12 Qualifier games I liked the way we were playing.

Quinteros' was the logical decision, credit to Chiriboga, he knows our players, limitations, press, has a bunch of experience playing in high altitude, likes to have the ball, likes creative players, we might see Dreer in the NT whom to me is a welcomed addition. I hate the way Vizuete was dismissed but unlike most I was not fully convinced on the direction he was taking the NT, sure we played well against El Salvador and Bolivia, but we looked very poor against US and Brasil, who do you think our Copa America/WCQ qualifiers are closer to?

kromekote repped this.
  17. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Asistente técnico:
    Luis Suárez: pese a que es un entrenador de perfil bajo, es la mano derecha de Gustavo Quinteros. Suárez siempre acude a las ruedas de prensa cuando fue expulsado Quinteros en Emelec.

Preparador físico:
    Rodrigo Figueroa: demuestra seriedad en su trabajo y es uno de los responsables de mantener a la plantilla de Emelec en óptimo estado físico. Los jugadores que han trabajado con Figueroa dicen de él que es una gran persona. Es amigo de Gustavo Quinteros.

Preparador de arqueros:
    Marcelo Álvarez: Desde su llegada en 2011 a Emelec, el arco de los azules pasó a ser uno de los menos batidos en la Serie A de nuestro campeonato, en gran parte gracias a las buenas actuaciones del portero Esteban Dreer.

our whole national team is going to revolve around what was emelec i really wish we could at least change our assistant coach and deer being part of the squad for what ? i really want the international exposer for our keepers it a shame that not even dominguez can make it to el exterior yet we have to many foreign goalkeepers in our league already no need for him in the national team i want our goalkeepers to draw attention internationally they all have the potential to do it bone, piedra, banguera no reason to give a spot to some like deer it would not benifit us our league or players if mena and achiller become consistant call ups along with other players from emelec we have a problem i dont want players just to be called up to the team because they were in emelec vizuete couldnt draw results against usa and brazil cause at that moment we where still experimenting i like the way we were experimenting the players we called we finally had a coach doing that experimenting calling up various players who knows what quinteros would do at national team level the only thing that would make me feel ok about this would be that all this would not be centered around emelec meaning staff and players i really would have felt alot better with repetto as assistant coach his first games are going to be mexico and argentina love to see the outcome of those games

18. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Truth be told no one has a clue to how Quinteros is going to run our NT, who is he going to call but as a Barcelonista it hurts to admit that Emelec has done a solid job the last 2 years, I have no problem with Quinteros taking his team with him, nor if he calls Dreer, Mena and specially Bolanos, regarding Dreer if you look at the 6 South American teams that played last World Cup, you will find that we are the only team that it's goalies do not play abroad, it's no one's fault other than Dominguez and Banguera themselves with their inconsistent performances, I think competition from Dreer will do that position some good.

Regarding Vizuete, I like him and his style of play, I'll say it again, in 2010 WCQ I saw the best futbol Ecuador has ever played unfortunately that doesnt mean the games were won. in all reality the U-20 fue su cagada, Vizuete had a good team on paper, Cevallos, Mercado, Burbano, Corozo, Canga, Velez, Parrales, Betancourt are all players consolidated in their teams, we should not have lost to Peru, add the unapproved comments by Montero plus Caicedo's and Valencias' absences, that always seemed fishy to me. I hate the way Vizuete got the boot but I think it had to happen.

19. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    For me, I don't know what to expect but I'll give it a chance. This is the first time in a long time I've said this about a coach for the NT. Hoping for the best. I love the way he makes Emelec play. Should be fun.

20. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I believe that Vizuete handled a difficult situation perfectly. First of all, he inherited a team in a bad situation, after the bad World Cup and all the gossip. The best thing for him to do was not call up any of those guys. Then without those "stars" we got great results and looked exciting for the first time in YEARS.

Seriously, Vizuete has been made a scapegoat so many times it's ridiculous.

All I want to see is our team winning and playing nice football and I believe Vizuete was on the right path. It seemed that a lot of people agreed.

I also wish the best for Quinteros, and I hope he can bring the success of Emelec to the NT. But guys, believe me it's different at this level. At least Rueda had been to a World Cup and he had coached Colombia which is always a strong team. We cannot afford to gamble, and to be perfectly clear, this is a gamble. Quinteros is not a guy who can say he's been there and done that, because he hasn't. He's just landed the biggest job of his life - unlike Bolivia, we are a team that expects to make the World Cup. Anything less is a total disaster.

21. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    a huge gamble his first two games will be mexico and argentina two very competitive game that we never had and easy time beating them in the past a bad performance against them will make him look bad instantly i wish he could start working with the national team as of right now at least locally FEF will also not change so it going to be really hard on him to have time to make this team work on his on at it is have time for training friendlies and really prepare for matches vizuete did handle everything fairly well FEF palyers ect every aspect of quintero at national level is just too unpredictable

22. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Well, I'll eat my words about Quinteros. I was absolutely positive that he was going to stay with Emelec after some of the inside rumors I was hearing about salary increases, some player transfers, and commitments to the libertadores, which this year seems as good as a time to make a run at it, but damn....I think the move is a good one. Look at Chile with Sampaoli now. Not to say Quinteros can have the same success- they are different coaches with different philosophies, but I will admit that a bolder move wouldn't be in the benefit of the FEF who would almost certainly give up a ton of autonomy to the coach- similarly to Pekerman and Colombia.

On Sixto's front, it's still like watching a bus with the wheels fall off. Besides some comments that he made in reference to him and his team deserving more respect, and losing in the Sudamericano, it's pretty obvious to us that his coaching style was producing some decent results- even the loss to Brazil was honorable. He's a guy that sadly never really had a good defense. It's easier to destroy your countryman, who in all honesty is not a media savy guy. He needed a publicist. As well as I know his staff, I can attest to their work ethic and caliber- they are ROCK SOLID. I think Chiriboga uses Sixto as a scapegoat to distract everyone from the corruption heat that he was facing. Sad.

I hope Quinteros can start to address some of the issues that Vizuete's guys were dodged for- including a larger medical staff, continued education for the tecnicos at international conferences, and greater cooperation from the FEF.

23. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Do you guys think he'll keep Valencia as a defender? And put somebody else on the wing?

24. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You can bet your a** that JC Paredes isn't going to be going anywhere from the right back position. Antonio will most likely play center mid and Quinteros is the type of coach to make adjustments and he absolutely LOVES players that can 2, 3 and four different roles on the field. Fernando Gimenez, Angel Mena, Miller Bolanos, Mondaini, Robert Burbano, Achilier, etc. are all examples of that. And the positive thing that I think we can take out of this is that Quinteros makes these type of adjustments work successfully. That's probably the best trait about his team. Quinteros didn't necessarily NEED a #9 to win the campeonato even though he had a good one (Emmanuel Herrera who IMO is a good player but he lives under the shadow of the false 9's- Miller and Mena), but either way with a false 9 he still had not one, but two goleadores- Miller and Mena. And that wasn't the first time he did that....he did the same with none other than Enner Valencia who was also originally a winger and became a striker and goleador at that. Marcos Caicedo is of the same breed as Enner. Quinteros makes these players reach their full potential as goleadores. Unfortunately Marcos didn't stay in Emelec long enough but I bet my bottom dollar que ese jugador explota a cualquier rato. His potential is high, but it's dormant just like Enner's was at one point. Mena was a great example of dormant potential too. Very late bloomer, but he's an awesome player. At the moment I dare to say he's got his spot won on the NT now that Joao Plata is injured and out for a few months, Renato seems like he's injured (don't know how serious it is), Montero is barely recovering, Penilla and Sornoza are adjusting to their new team, Joao Rojas doesn't convince for NT level, Cristian Suarez just moved to Atlas, and Guerron (as well as he plays) will most likely never get called up b/c of his beef with the FEF. Cazares and Miller are the only "fijos" I'd place on my list and THANK GOD Quinteros is the coach b/c I know for a fact he won't leave Miller Bolanos out and that player is what the NT needs...he's genius and one of the best players we have period. Miller-Cazares-Montero is what I'd love to see playing behind Enner on the NT. On paper it's an unstoppable trio behind Enner and the amount of chances they'd generate for Enner AND for themselves would be incredible at it's full potential. Cazares and Miller tienen gol y ni que hablar de Enner. Montero will his assists and we are set.

As far as Quinteros and comparing him to what we had before (Rueda) we are in a better situation IMO. The fact that Quinteros plays aggressive and attack oriented futbol compared to Reinaldo's boring, unproductive, and not creative futbol is a good sign for us. Rueda's 4-4-2 and the way we played it was un estilo de futbol vencido. Now we got a coach with new ideas and a new way of playing. Quinteros no se casa con ningun sistemta. I've seen him play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, and 4-4-2 and he plays them all effectively. In Emelec's situation the 4-2-3-1 is the most effective. Emelec doesn't only play beautifully with their fast touches and possession (heavily), but they're productive with it. They get results! That's a plus. I like that Quinteros builds teams that can run up and down the field like hounds and not get tired. His teams have that surprise factor which is what we never had with Reinaldo. So in that sense, we have a coach with better and innovative ideas to guide us. The cons are that Quinteros has no successful experience at NT level. His time with Bolivia wasn't good at all, but we have to understand that Bolivia lives a different reality from Ecuador. Even if Guardiola went to Bolivia, it's tough to turn their situation around. It takes way more than just a coach for them. Their issues go deeper than that. So for those people who judge Quinteros because of his lack of success with the Bolivian NT, think again. Internationally Quinteros may have not won anything yet, but he's the only coach who has made Emelec play this effectively in years. Not even Sampaoli did what Quinteros accomplished to do. Sampaoli was basically the main guy who built the base of this team along with Gabriel Perrone, but Quinteros made this team reach it's fullest potential. I always used to say throughout these years that "Emelec da para mas" and in 2014 they proved it. I even said it in a post....that's the Emelec I was waiting to see. The fact that Quinteros managed to get a bi-campeonato with one of the biggest teams in the country is very important and should not be taken lightly. It's easy for a team to win a bicampeonato, but to do it with the same coach speaks pretty highly. I just keep that in mind when I judge Quinteros.

25. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    all very good things now all he has to do i actually work with the team see who he calls what he can do with our team how we can preform both offensively and defensively under quinteros
    Dominguez/Deer/Banguera
    Paredes/Pineida, Narvaez/Achiller, Erazo, Bagui/Walter
    Valencia,Noboa/Quinones
    Miller/Mena, Cazares, Montero
    Enner

Some of the players that will most likely be called possible formations starters player coming of the bench for the first couple of games which in all honesty doesn't look bad on paper but he needs the proper time to prepare and train with the team he will be under a lot of pressure and his first games will be against two extremely competitive teams we can for get about player like canga being called for now the whole renweing our national team with youth players like him un less he starts and player 90 minutes every game for me thats a down side but these player will come along eventually i guess i hope that when we have more of our players out of recovery and playing they get there chances