Six Years Ago Sunday....

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bill-DC, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    10/26/97: DC United wins their second MLS Cup in the pouring rain at RFK Stadium, beating the Rapids 2-1 before a crowd of over 57,000 people. Seems like yesterday. I got sick a couple days after the game but it was so worth it.

I got in from Spain two days prior, went to the CSB at the Lucky Bar and got my tix from a fellow SE there. A buddy of mine drove down from Pittsburgh to catch this and I remember Kevin Payne stopping by the SE tailgate before the game.

Let's hope all of us get to experience playoff glory again. Four freaking years is a long time. United's playoff run starts Saturday. Right now I don't care about all the last minute heartbreak United suffered this season, Bob Bradley and the MetroPukes. The injuries suck, but they got to suck it up. The ups and downs this club has had this season is all in the past now. Saturday is it. Was it over when McBride beat us in OT on Sunday? NO! And it ain't over now. Because when the going gets tough.....the tough get going!!!! Who's with me, aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!

That's my message board version of Belushi's scene from Animal House. Let's get fired up!!!!!

Bill

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Nice! Thanks Bryan. Just trying to get people fired up!

Bill

4. I remember that game very well. I took my new girl friend to the game. It was cold, wet, and wild with 50,000 screaming soccer fanatics. I figured she was such a good sport for putting up with me and going to the game and freezing while cheering for DC Untied that I decided to marry her.

-The Far Side

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a beautiful story! anyway, i'm AT this game ....... no doubt about it! we need to get fired up for this one because if we make the playoffs, you never know what could happen!

6. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Get the SE's, Barra, La Norte and everyone else to sing "All we are saying.....is give us three points...."

I know they need one point to clinch but don't give them ideas about bunkering for the tie for this one. Get the three DC.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup 97 was the single greatest soccer game I've ever attended - the atmosphere at RFK was amazing. Electric. I don't remember being cold and wet; I just remember being awestruck.

Not going to MLS Cup 96 is one of my biggest regrets.

And as for Saturday, if they bunker without a three goal lead, I'm walking out. If they don't care enough to play to win, I don't care enough to watch.

8. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were at the '96 Cup, it was barely sprinkling and warm for the '97 Cup :) - I remember it vividly, setting up the grills in the rain, still managing to get evryone fed and happy.
    So, I wonder, of all the players in that game, who's still in the league, and still with the two teams .....
    What a great crowd that was !

10. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Scary 15 plus minutes after Paz scored. Remember the bicycle kick by Balboa? Here is the box score:

D.C. UNITED 2
    COLORADO RAPIDS 1

Scoring Summary:
    DC --Moreno (Sanneh, Vaudreuil) 37
    DC --Sanneh (Harkes, Williams) 68
    COL--Paz (Patino, Kmosko) 75

COLORADO RAPIDS--Marcus Hahnemann, Chris Martinez (Adrian Paz 59), Steve Trittschuh, Peter Vermes, Matt Kmosko, Marcelo Balboa, Sean Henderson (Ross Paule 81), Chris Henderson, Paul Bravo (Wolde Harris 27), David Patino, Steve Rammel

TOTAL SHOTS: 16 (Henderson 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 10 (Balboa 3); FOULS: 14 (Rammel 5); OFFSIDE: 8; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: Hahnemann 6; CAUTIONS: Balboa 86; EJECTIONS: none; POSSESSION PERCENTAGE: 47%

D.C. UNITED--Scott Garlick, David Vaudreuil, Eddie Pope, Carlos Llamosa, Jeff Agoos, Richie Williams, Tony Sanneh, John Harkes, Marco Etcheverry, Jaime Moreno, Raul Diaz Arce

TOTAL SHOTS: 17 (Sanneh 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (Moreno 2, Sanneh 2, Etcheverry 2); FOULS: 14 (Moreno 4, Pope 4); OFFSIDE: 9; CORNER KICKS: 10; SAVES: Garlick 9; CAUTIONS: Garlick 20; EJECTIONS: none; POSSESSION PERCENTAGE: 53%

Referee: Brian Hall
    Referee's Assistants: Steve Olson, Greg Barkey

Attendance: 57,431; Weather: Rain, 46 degrees

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euro-snobs who look down on MLS because it doesn't have any tradition should be forced to read this, and reflect on how they are missing out on the opportunity to help create new traditions, right here, right now.

12. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for reminding me about the '97 MLS Cup, as attending that game is probably my favorite DC United memory.

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember my son and I sitting in our seats in the temporary bleachers set up on the South End of the Stadium. He was seven and in his second year of fandom and playing soccer. We were soaked but never happier. Sanneh's goal was right in front of us, incredible. Then the 57,000 screaming and yelling when the game ended with the team running the Cup around the Stadium. It's a day I'll never forget. Now let's kick some KC ass this weekend.

14. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Trying to get people to think positive so they can channel that to the team Saturday. Since it's almost six years since this great game took place I thought this was something good to talk about leading up to Saturday. I hope in another month we can be discussing United's fifth MLS Cup appearance.

Think positive. Believe in United!

Let's Do It!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Exactly. I've said it before but the real difference between Eurosnobs and MLS devotees is that the former demand tradition now and the latter are eager to create a new one.

16. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I flew up from Miami for this game had great seats behind and to the right of Colorado's bench and saw myself on TV 3 times when I watched it a few days later back in FL

395 was an absolute parking lot coming out of VA into DC so we go to our seats maybe 10 mins before kickoff.

Colorado really came to play but our class shone through even with Paz goal to cut the deficit in half.

OF course it was like 42 degrees by game's end and I was just hoping the game wouldn't go into OT.

to hear 57000+ people singing

ooooooooo
    ooooooooo
    ooooooooo
    ooooooooo
    DC!

late in the first half was just awesome.

17. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Re: Re: Six Years Ago Sunday....

I have not watched the tape in quite a while, but I still can tell you the times when you should listen for the amazing songs/chants...CHILLS!!!

There is a point in second half, immediately after Sanneh's goal, where the focus in on Tony. You can tell that he's not paying a lick's attention to the game, it is plainly obvious that he is standing there saying to himself..."this is it...this is why I play."

I tell you, if you read through these boards, look around the stadium, and generally think about where the team and fans are at today, those days seem pretty damn distant right now. Thanks for the shot in the arm, though Bill. I'll come to RFK with a little more pride on Saturday. As Lanky has pointed out, a lot of changes will occur in this club, but us fans will be there. We may be jaded, but I hope we'll still sing.

Tim

18. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Let him go -- he's rolling.

My son and I were there. I thought the place was going to come apart when United scored the second goal. I was cold, wet and delirious.

19. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    You guys sound like great fans. I would like to think of myself in the same boat as you guys, even though I didn't start going to games until this year. Feeling this strongly about a team is what made the lose to Columbus sting so bad, it's gonna sound redundant but when Petke put the header away I KNEW.... playoffs, and for about 10 minutes it was sssooooo cool. I'm showing up Sat., and hopefully witness for myself some DC United tradition-building.

20. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm on board. Let's WIN this one for the great John Belushi! One of the greatest beer drinkers and historians ever to walk this earth

When playing KC, players must play like how the US military responded when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

21. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Damn. It rained so much that day, the blue on my hat ran down the side of my face - looked like I had dyed my non-existent sideburns.

It hurts being out here in LA now and not being able to go to RFK this weekend. But I'll be in front of my TV, all phones in the house turned off, beer or two in hand, yelling my ass off.

RS

22. That day, DC also hosted a Redskins - Ravens game at Landover AND the Marine Corps marathon. The Post did a great article weaving together impressions from all three events (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/dcunited/longterm/1997/mlscup/launch/scene27.htm).

This quote from the article sums up the day perfectly :

23. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    NoVa
    Forget it, he's rolling...

24. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    remember moreno's dyed hair

25. Sandon Mibut