Situation at striker

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said positive things about the two international signings, and I've admitted repeatedly I loved the draft. So before all the KADs continue their nonsense about people never being positive, I wanted to state that flat out.

But ...

I'd like to know what people will think about this offseason IF there isn't a proven striker brought in prior to the opener. No, I'm not talking about Jaqua. I'm talking about a proven international striker (actually I want two) ...

As much as they've made some positive steps, to me this offseason is an utter failure if they don't bring in striker(s). This will be the third straight offseason where it's been blatantly obvious to most of us that they need the help before the season, and they've failed the previous two years.

Thoughts? Or am I being too harsh?

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're absolutely right. We really need two strikers, and if Zerka doesn't sign, another option on the wing.

But I think, in the end, we're only getting one striker. I think Heaps will play one of our attacking midfielders next to whoever they sign. For the record, I think this is the way to go. Feilhaber, Rowe, and Fagundez are perfectly capable of playing forward if they have a big target guy to play off of.

3. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling they end up just resigning Lekic and that's going to be our lone striker...

4. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really excited to see Lekic and Milton this year

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    We have what would seem to be more than enough cap space to hire 2-3 Carlos Costly/Alvaro Saborio quality strikers, without even going the DP route.

6. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The off-season has been an improvement. Would like to have seen Lekic, Caraglio, and Zerka all return. Whether the off-season is successful depends on whether the Revs can re-sign those players for a new contract.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trick is finding them.

I wish the Heaps hire and organization reshuffle had happened in September. It would have given him more time to find players he likes. Hiring a guy in November and telling him that he has, at most, two months to find the guys he likes is a tall task.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Please, no.

We need to be thinking about a Kenwyne Jones type (who Stoke may be shipping to Wolves)--big AND mobile.

But Monty's right, we really need two strikers. A guy getting a few million to play here and a Lekic-level finisher.

If our 4-5-1 fails to produce goals in any given game and for second half adjustments we look down the bench and all we see is Nate Jaqua, we're in trouble.

Heaps needs to be able to bring a MF off and put a second striker on to work with the DP, and that second striker has to be adept at putting away chances created by all the focus on covering the DP.

So if you start with this:

------------DP----------
    Cardenas--Benny----Rowe
    ------Shalrie----Simms----

You need to be able to make a tactical adjustment to this:

----Lekic-type----DP------
    Cardenas--Benny-----Rowe
    ---------Shalrie-----------

Fagundez is not a box finisher, neither is Jaqua. In fact, Fagundez probably comes on for Cardenas and perhaps Zerka for Rowe.

If we're really going to go after just one DP striker, then we should re-sign Lekic, and that DP needs to have wheels as well as size.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you make the assumption that I wanted our big man to be slow? I just said big, never specified lack of speed.

10. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest factor of a potential striker we sign to me is the ability to create chances on his own. Hypothetically we now have a fairly technically gifted midfield between Benny, Kelyn, Cardenas, and Shalrie. But this is MLS, we will not be dominating posession every game. In games we are using a 4-5-1 and are being outplayed by the opposition, the striker will not be receiving lots of chances from the midfield. This is why I want the striker to be mobile and able to make chances for himself. I don't care much about size because according to Heaps we're not playing route 1 next year, I care about the striker earning the team goalscoring chances. So basically the type of player I'd like to see signed is a relatively quick striker who is good on the dribble and also good at making off the ball runs. Fabian Espindola would be a good MLS level comparison.

11. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your assessment that there have been positive moves. However, they have been almost completely offset by negative moves. Lekic, Caraglio and Zerka gone, two Columbians and two draftees in. I certainly hope the 4 new guys are better than the 3 we let go but I don't think we'll know till we see them play for a while. I think it is a stretch to expect both draftees to be able to consistently fill starting positions. At this point, why would we expect them to play significantly better than last year?

Two proven strikers are probably the minimum they need to bring in to call the offseason a success. They certainly have alot of midfielders but they look short on depth at D and, even if they bring in 2, short on depth at forward.

They have a long way to go.

12. SpursTDITD

SpursTDITD Member

Jul 27, 2007
    nh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a link floating around on an MLS board from foxsoccer stating Chris Rolfe is linked to a move back to the MLS. Would we welcome him as a signing or should we continue seeking other options?

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not harsh--just impatient :D (Of course based on their track record the last few years I think we all have reason to be nervous).

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The off-season has gone pretty well to this point, but I too think we need to find a proven goal-scorer; I don't think anything is more obvious at this point. That being said, bringing in a solid attacking player would also serve to bring a bit more balance to the rest of the line-up, mainly, freeing up Joseph to concentrate more on his responsibilities as a d-mid. While it's been nice to see him at the top of our scoring charts the past few seasons that's really not his job.

15. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Chris Rolfe over Schilawski any day

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This - perfectly stated. Our attack has been lacking the two bolded forward characteristics for years now: a) creating your own shot and b) making intelligent runs that open up space for your teammates to run into.

This team has been far too predictable up top; having someone the opponents actually know and fear will create just enough hesitation, more chances, more goals leading to more wins.

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I had heard that also. I would be happy to have Rolfe as one of the two winter striker imports - He would be Autogolazo's "Lekic-type".

18. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    This has been a positive off season to me w.r.t. players. Obviously, they've gotten the players in, but the things I'm most pleased about are:

- Heaps is through action showing that he wants to have a stronger possession team. One thing to say this, another thing to actually have it influence your selections.

- With both the Shalrie DP signing and now 3 Gen Adidas players, the ownership has put themselves in a position where they will almost certainly be spending dollars over the cap.

I didn't have expectations that they could solve the majority of their problems in one signing period, but they are off to a good start. Getting a good striker in now and signing a DP attacker during the summer would be a good year's work.

19. SpursTDITD

SpursTDITD Member

Jul 27, 2007
    nh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rolfe doesn't work out we can try and snap up Bobby Wood from 1860 Munich and try to repeat history lol

20. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha sounds good to me, hand him the #20 shirt and hope he doesn't get the connection

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I detest any former Chicago Fire players but Rolfe absolutely fits the 'Lekic' category (but is probably even better and less bat shit crazy).

22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Rolfe would only be a good signing as a 2nd striker. If we signed ONLY Rolfe at striker our forward line would be tiny. Rolfe at 5'8", Diego at 5'8", Cardenas at 5'6", and Mansally at 5'9". Rolfe, Diego and Cardenas all seem like similar players. I'd be happy to have them all on my team but our attack would still need a point man.

I guess if we're desparate the point guy could be Shalrie if we play Simms & McCarthy as d-mids...

23. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have begun to believe that this might actually be the plan.

24. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope not, that would just be ugly.

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps says--"We will sign a PROVEN goal scoring striker"