Site upgrade of 2017, part II - All is Not Lost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by soccernutter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I think that the "Baby Poop" background coloring for the "Staff Members" in their avatar was a nice touch! :cautious:

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Thank you for this.

Might this help spammers get to popular threads though since they are forced to be able to see popular threads?

soccernutter and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched Threads is my entry.
    What I really miss is the old "My BigSoccer" that combined a list of watched forums and watched threads, those were the good ol' days :D

THANK-YOU to whoever programmed the toggle for the side bar, that's Nobel-level work right there :cool:

4. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I might also add that even if you ignore a threads desirability to be advertised the popularity/post frequency in some threads means that the "trending threads" block is pretty much static (I'm quite sure that for me at least it has been the same 5 threads for the last 24 hours) and I'm sure that wasn't the intention with adding that feature.

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "My BigSoccer" was awesome.

JayRockers!, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't rep this enough.

nsa repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are welcome...it was not a problem. Helps everybody. If you can let us know what you have fixed, in the next version (possibly in a week, maybe less?) I can make a new list and cross off what has been fixed/corrected/not possible to work on.

I've seen some changes already. It would help if you let us know what you have done, and what is up next. And when I asked those questions in the first post it is about transparency. The reports which everybody made is meant to make the site better, not to complain it is messed up (despite what a few posts seemed like). If you let us know what you are thinking, it will help us understand what to be patient about and look for (or not look for) to help make the site better. In the past, there has been suggestions on the ideas given. Something standard actually came out of that (I forget what it was, something like increased avatar size or maybe listing teams we support).

Excellent! Thank you.

I personally have no preference, but these two should have the same wording. I'm prefer the "My" version as it makes it more personal.

fatbastard repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw - what is the criteria for a "treanding" thread?

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Indeed.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I prefer "My" as well, both in terms of wording and in terms of location. Hence:

ScreenClip.png
    If there's not enough room on the first line, move Videos or Members to the second line.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped! And if I could rep this more than once I would.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    sitruc and fatbastard repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminded me that no-one every answered my question before about only being able to list one team that we support... is there definitively no way to list more than one? I have a vague recollection of someone doing it in years past. But I've never had any luck myself.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A long time ago, people could write-in whatever teams they wanted. It was no more than three blank text entry fields.

It was then changed to the hated drop-down list when a wiki-style feature was added for each team. IIRC, the idea was to eventually somehow link the teams in profiles to the wiki pages. Eventually, the wiki pages went away (as most everything non-forums here has done), but the drop-down remained.

There has to be a good reason why the list has remained, but I have yet to see it.

NorthBank repped this.
  15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't have a preference - I guess maybe watched since that's the name of the function?

FYI - the "My BigSoccer" page that people say they miss here is a page that had both watched threads and watched forums and it was how many of us navigated the site using mybigsoccer as a starting point. If something like that were doable, maybe we could include content such as trending topics and articles there?

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That used to be an option and I suspect it's something we can probably tweak assuming space is available. @Janet H @Andy R

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Knave, right now chill out. Just because I did not state your very, exact, specific, detailed, quoted words, does not meant it was overlooked. You are asking about the threads being shown, which is site-wide. I did not list this very specific detail because it rolled in with a couple of other similar issues, which were worded slightly differently. There is a reason it took about 4 hours to compile the list. If the rest of the site is fixed and this is not, then it is a separate issue.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    @ryu79 Is your issue listed here?

19. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I'd rather keep My BigSoccer free from the trending topics and articles. Keep the watched threads and forums, but leave it at that. I only navigate from that page, and I've done it that way for 7 years now, and I prefer to keep it as clutter free as possible.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Dude, @soccernutter -- The tone of your response is completely unjustified.

I said I did not see this issue in your list. If you think this is included within something you did note, then please calmly point it out.

And if it is a separate issue as you yourself note it might be on the last line, then it should be on the list.

And no, your bolded synopsis is not at all what I was talking about. Perhaps you should reread what I said.

21. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    how about adding a link to back to the forum index for the thread you're reading at the bottom of each thread's page? scrolling back up to the top to go back to the forum page sucks.

Capt.Tsubasa and soccernutter repped this.
  22. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's in the list.

soccernutter repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The Click to expand being in a box is an improvement.

Gamecock14 and blissett repped this.
  24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Excellent. I could see the the sidebar being interesting for trending threads, it just made the posts too small. The way that toggle switch works is the best of both worlds.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what you are talking about:
    While the statement I made did not specifically mention Watched forums/My forums, it is the same issue - the details, for which you also put of a screen shot comparing the two.

Regarding my tone, you should go back and read your posts - your tone is quite a bit "this suck, and this sucks, you did a crappy job, fix it because it sucks."

dark knight repped this.