Simek moving?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mschofield, May 29, 2007.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wouldn't Luke Young be worth just about the same?

But being bandied around in these rumors is half the battle for the players looking for a pay hike.

3. Grub

Grub Member

Jul 11, 2001
    With bluest skies
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only is this a way for Simek to get a pay hike, but doesn't it imply that Howard's had a hand in this? I don't know enough about Everton and its management to understand how decisions are made there, but conceivably this is Howard saying to his management, "I like playing with this guy." Potentially bodes well for Simeks' future with the Nats.

4. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    My pick for breakout player of 2007/8. The only reason the nats fans aren't raving about him is because they dislike the fact that he is in the championship while still being the best player in that position.

5. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    and because i doubt most people have seen him play at all this season.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I see Frankie moving is if an EPL club promises a spot in the starting XI and/or they offer Wendesday a ridiculous sum of cash. He's in a great situation with Wed. and they could be 1 of 5 teams with good promotion chances. If Wed. are out of the race by Christmas, I could see him moving during the winter window but right now I don't see it happening. But I do like the buzz and the rumors that have surrounded him. It means someone is watching and someone thinks his future is bright.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Simek plays more head strong and sturdy than either Spector or 'Dolo. He gets forward in spots. If I had to choose my right fullbacks today, I would have to go with Spector, Simek and Wynn.

8. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Yes, but also ignoring that he is only 22, was the standout player in his team, plays in front of 24,000 fans each Saturday, and is now a prospect for a premiership team. 80+ starts since joining Wednesday hints at consistency. Whether he goes or stays on this year, he should hopefully be a key player in South Africa.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not sure anyone gets promised a starting spot, just the chance to compete for one. If Prem clubs are in for him, nothing will be assured. Take Everton, apparently and heart-breakingly, about to sign Jagielka, who can also play Simek's spot. doesn't matter, whereever he lands in the prem, he's going to have a lot of comp, just the nature of the beast.

Still, the move would probably mean a lot more money. Perhaps triple what he now makes (as I'm guessing, young player and all, he's not a top earner for the CCC).

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    exactly.

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surrely Phil is going largely as cover for Tim Cahill?

If Frankie gets the offer from a big team,he has to take it.It's football-you strive for the highest level.

12. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Doubtful for several reasons, IMO. For Everton, 6m isnt pocket change and is around the sum earmarked for David Nugent (a forward and England international)

From Frankie's prespective, he is coming off a highly successful season in which he flourished with regular playing time. SW almost guarentees him a game each week, and after several years with the Arsenal reserves, this isnt a bad place to develop.

His time in the top flight will come, but a few seasons in the championship isnt the worst place to be. I hope he stays exactly where he is for at least another season.

13. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah 6M seems an awful lot for Frank Simek.

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably just a rumor, and it does seem a little much. Wasn't 2 million pounds the figure bandied about before for Simek? I can see that since he's a young defender proven in the Championship who played in the Arsenal system. A guy who has proved himself in the Championship always seems to be worth more as far as transfer fees go.

Also SFS (I think it was you on the Young fee,) I believe Young was talked about for 4 million pounds in the "Luke Young to West Ham" thread, so a couple of million dollars more than Simek. 3 still seems a little much for Simek though.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: Cahill is an attacking mid, played in the hole when Everton played the 4-4-1-1. Jags is a versatile player, but has mostly played central defense.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was more of a d-mid and was in CD out of necessity.

Crap,I didn't mean Cahill.Carsley?

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    case in point from an earlier arguement i made. If Simek is getting brought up for 3 million pound offers, just how good are some of our other players? I for one think Beasley is a much better buy than Simek. Convey, Donovan, Twellman, Eddie Johnson, a healthy Cory Gibbs, and yes, Oguchi Onyewu. I think if Simek is even being spoken of for 3 million, imagine the stir Cory Gibbs is gonna stir in the league below if he can manage to stay healthy. how much does he go for? A solid CCCL campaign pays dividends, herein lies the proof.

I dont think Simek was really a realistic option for 2010 before, but if he gets signed at Everton, floodgates are opened at right back; Dolo, Simek, and depending on how spector does at this tourneyment, could all be leaps and bounds above the rest of the competition. Cant emphasize enough how big a move this could be for Simek. As a Wednesday fan itd suck to a degree cuz that is far and away our best player, but as a US supporter you gotta be all for it.

19. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Ive never been a fan for the "one size fits all" comparison involving our players. While Gibbs, Simek and co play the same position, they all bring different qualities which suit different opposition.

After several years in England, Simek's game could be well suited to English football, but lack the tools neccesary to compete in CONCACAF. By the same token, Gibbs could flounder in the championship, as did Onyewu in the top flight. This is not to say that one is better than the other, but rather more adapted to their particular situation.

Simek will likely take some time to adapt to the international level, but I think he is a solid option for the next qualifying cycle. In either case, it is good to know we have a league which gives us domestic options for a busy international schedule.

That way, Simek can continue his development abroad while we continue to build our options. Things are looking bright for 2010.

20. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice thing about Everton is that you aren't in some yo-yo team like Sheffield. Sure, he is one of their best players but small clubs lose their best players to bigger, richer ones. If he goes and makes a spot for himself he will be in the Prem a long time. The denial was likely 1) pay us more money or 2) the board and players' agents don't let me know what is going on. :)

21. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Or they simply wanted to keep the player.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Simek's value reflects Simek's value, nothing more. Bease, Gooch both had this year to establish their own values, and those won't increase because other Americans play well, or are worth more. IIRCC, both had sale prices on them, and their potential new clubs opted not to pick them up. gibbs is still on the books, so they don't dislike him. Prem clubs have all seen enough of T.T., LD and Convey to set a value (and, clearly those values are either below their level of interest, or below MLS'/Reading's valuation, because they're not in play).

Simek is not only a solid player, he's young, improving, healthy, has a great attitude, etc, for wendy.
    The importance, to him, of making the back page is that it shows he's raising his profile to the point where he's a player who potentially could make such a move (even if the destination and money is wrong).

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    So, you're using an extremely speculative and unsubstantiated figure in a column called rumour mill, to butress an earlier argument that other players are worth more? I'm shaking my head.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Forget Frankie, if Everton signs Jagielka can Howard keep his spot???

BBC makes it sound likely, but that means little.

25. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of smaller clubs want to keep their players until from a business standpoint they must sell them. Just depends. It might be no way at $6m but yes at $8m.