Simek and Karbassiyoon --- Reserves: West Ham United v Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by DallasGooner, Sep 8, 2004.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    How old is Karby? Simek turns 20 this October, and although there is much lamenting of him 'wasting away'..really if he can get a good loan deal- a la Cooper- after first of next year, or beginning of next season...he'll still be on a pretty good career path.

Can't see how he makes it in Central Defense giving new-world realities (he's short for a CB- even the article mentions), but outside back or defensive mid would seem great possibilities.

And, no, I don't want to participate in another discussion about how height doesn't matter in central defense...it does now as far as I'm concern (IF you want to be selected, that is). Rightly or wrongly.

So nice to have these type kids rising in the ranks...the more, the merrier...the more, and one/two/three are going to break thru in a stud-like fashion..

4. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Danny went over as a striker but he's been playing as a left back, which means he's got his work cut out for him to unseat Ash Cole and Gael Clichy.

5. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    From the Arsenal website match report

6. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Karbassiyoon is 20 - 8/10/1984

7. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's discuss height... :p

Sorry if you've answered this before but why would Arsenal develop him as a central defender if he is better suited for outside back or d-mid? Not that Arsenal is the last word in youth development but they are far from Podunk SC. Perhaps he'll never crack the Arsenal starting XI but if they wanted to get some sort of value out of him wouldn't they try to maximize his potential? Just asking... :D

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After a game like that they should both be starting for the US against Panama tonight.

9. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Maybee his potential is better in the center?

Fabio Cannavaro is short!

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Well, until otherwise proven, I think Simek is the classic AAA baseball player type..good enough to play a strong role at that level..but not necessarily at the next level. If there was true conviction (by Arsenal), he'd be in 1st team NOW IMO.

This is not to say he can't make it. Some players are late bloomers. Funny to say that 20 is late blooming, but nowadays it kindof is (the real prodigies are first-teamers in their teens for the most part)

I think Arsenal is still figuring out what to do w/him at the next level. I think we will know the answer in next year. Whoever gets him on loan, let's see what they do (I don't see anyway that Frankie breaks into Arsenal lineup a la Spector)..

11. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    teens tend to get a shot as forwards and to a lesser extent in the midfield (especially attacking midfield spots), where talent is more a key than responsibility / maturity. young forward loses his positioning and you lose a goal scoring opportunity, defender does it and you give up a goal. really makes spector's success quite impressive, but a 20-year old defender has some time left for seasoning, before not gaining a first team place (especially at arsenal) is troubling

12. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 20, I think this is a bit aggressive but thanks for letting me drag you back in to the discussion.

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Believe me, I looked at that sentence a bit before typing it...but if you think about the near-term trend (last 5 years)...there are many, many examples of 17-19 year olds considered "superstuds" playing in 1st team for an extended run- a la Spector, or Reyes, or the other Arsenal guy (Spain) or Ronaldo, or Rooney or Owen (etc)...Frankie is obviously NOT considered at that level (talent-wise), but doesn't mean he can't wind up there (you take the high road/me, low road) IMHO...

14. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is one defender on that list. He's not a regular starter, yet, either. Name 5 defenders that start on world class teams at 21 or younger. If it's so bad to be the captain of the reserves for the best team in the world, I would think there would be plenty of examples of young defenders starting for great teams.

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    By no means am I slagging on Frankie.....he's accomplished a lot

I just saying as far as Arsenal is concerned, its hard to see the fit at the moment, and time is a wastin'..

He probably needs that loan in next 6-9 months, but it likely isn't going to be starting Premiership (so you are talking proving oneself over again for a couple years at least)...

There are many roads......he's just on a different one.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cesc Fabregas.

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Your post made it sound like you thought that it was a bad indicator of his ability to play at a high level that he's not starting for a top, or near top, team. I agree that a loan would be nice.

18. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    How many games have people here seen either of these guys play recently? From what people have seen what is your judgment on how good either of these guys could be or how good are they already? I'm asking this because I have not seen either of them play. I would like to know if the analysis of their situations is based off people actually seeing them play or just conjecture and second hand information. If someone has a good source like a website or Arsenal message board that has info on their potential and ability that would be cool. Kind of like the redcafe/articles on Spector.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are folks on the Arsenal boards here that regularly (or at least frequently) attend reserve matches and have commented on Karby and Simek's progress in the past.

20. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    Cool I look over there.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, there was even a thread about the two of them...maybe a month ago or so.

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Simek scoring:

[​IMG]

23. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Either of these gentleman have any chance of being loaned out though? I don't follow Arsenal, so I have no idea. Maybe MLS could step in for a loan spell if nothing comes of any loan talk.