Silly stadium question

Discussion in 'Spain' started by benine, Aug 1, 2002.

1. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    okay, this may just be a byproduct of a dream or something, but I swear i've seen pictures of a stadium in Spain that is on/near the ocean. I obviosly dont follow La Liga as I thought for the longest that it was Estadio Mestalla...any body know what i'm talking about, because i dont.

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Technically you could be referring to Sevilla's Sanchez Pizjuan stadium. Everyone knows that it is falling apart daily. The pieces flow into the storm sewers when it rains or the streets are washed. The storm sewers drain into the Guadalquiver River which then flows in a southerly direction into the Atlantic Ocean!

Hope that answers your question!

Saludos y viva er eurobeti manque alfonso y lopera!

Pichi

BTW-The Carranza stadium is 4 blocks from the ocean in Cadiz.

3. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    looooollll :p

4. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Come to think of it, maybe it's a tennis stadium...never mind...

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Montjuic in Barcelona fairly close to the Mediterranean? I know it's in the Olympic Park, but I haven't spent much time in Barcelona, so I don't remember how close that is to the sea.

Obviously, all of the coastal towns have stadiums fairly close to the sea or ocean, but I wouldn't say that any of the ones I've been to are on the beach.

6. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    If I'm not mistaken, the Riazor, where Deportivo La Coruna play, is right on the water.

7. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

See, that's what I thought too but every picture i see has nothing but city around it. anyway, whatever stadium it was, it's the most aesthetically pleasing venue i've seen. i hate the monster modern plastic-steal-jumbotron places like we saw at the WC and in germany; give me nature!

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Nature? We can build a stadium in the middle of Bitteroots in Montana. I suspect it'll be hard to fill. ;-)

Is it one of the island clubs like Alaves?

9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    it can't be Alaves. Alaves is in the Basque country in Vitoria. An island, or even on the water, it isn't.

10. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
  11. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Alavés is Vitoria's club, Basque country.

The islands' clubs in Primera last season:

Las Palmas (Gran Canaria)
    Tenerife (Santa Cruz de Tenerife)
    Mallorca (Mallorca)

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Chicago might be right, El Sardinero is near the beach.

13. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

But I would have had to see it on ESPN LaLiga coverage, so thats a nix. Really, I think its more likely a tennis stadium in La Coruna or something if it's not...hold on, how close is Stadium Balaidos to the Atlantic?
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it really is educational more than anything else and a bit overwhelming that such an inane post would get more than one response.

14. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Last season Racing Santander played in Segunda so it is possible to have a couple of shots of that stadia since I saw it in the past in ESPN LatAm (my only Spanish League feed!)

15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Mario's right. They were in Segunda and if I'm not maistaken were promoted this year. You may have seen a clip of them in a key game late in the year to guarantee promotion.

Or just as likely, you saw a tennis stadium. One or the other.

16. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The nuevo colombino of newly promoted Recreativo de Huelva is right along the Atlantic.

http://www.recreativohuelva.com/index.asp?C=localizacion

http://www.recreativohuelva.com/index.asp?C=aerea

Saludos y Viva Er Eurobeti Manque Alfonso y Lopera!

Pichi

17. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I stand corrected it is along the Odiel River just a few kms. from the ocean.

Pichi

18. simmer down

simmer down New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    To the best of my recollection...

El Riazor is on the water. One end of the stadium lets out to a club on the beach owned by the team. One side of the stadium is city and the other is rocks and stuff next to the water.

The actual coasts curves and the closest it come to the stadium is the end with the club.

In this picture http://www.canaldeportivo.com/estadio/

The coast is just out of picture to the right and the club would be in the foreground.

Either way its in a beautiful setting with a walkway and beach adjacent and the city climbing up into the hills on one side.

Here is the map of how its lies relative to the water
    http://www.canaldeportivo.com/estadio/mapa.html

19. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Silly stadium question

Nice try, Pichi, but no cigars. Sanchez Pizjuan is doing just fine and ready for another successful Sevilla FC season. What you must have been talking about was the attempted destruction of Lopeda stadium by the Betis socios after Sevilla won the derby, AGAIN. That must have been the green seats floating down the Guadalquiver River.

20. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Re: Re: Silly stadium question

Two things, last year no one won either derby. yes the green seats were seen floating down the Gaudalquiver River, but you forgot to mention that the only reason they got that far is that Sevilla FC famous chorizos with the low IQ "Los Biri Biri's" yanked them out of their foundations and tossed them! I still am amazed that Sevilla FC and Real Betis Balompie still allow their Ultra's a free rein in causing total destruction and seem to actually condone that type of behavior thru the lack of disciplining them or expelling them for life from their stadiums.

Saludos y viva er eurobeti manque alfonso y lopera!

Pichi

21. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Silly stadium question

OK, I stand corrected. I guess I received so much pre-game flack from the Beticos and enjoyed their disappointment so much I got carried away. Totally agree with you Ultra comment. There are too many good fans to good seats on those bozos.