Signs of life....

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by soccerfan247, Aug 4, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have done enough to probably merit some belief they can play in 2011 in USL Pro League. I think Hofsta stadium might be a little too big though. Where else can they play?

2. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could take a few hits and play in smaller stadiums, e.g. St. Johns' Belson, Randalls Island and Baker (well Baker is comparable to Hofstra, maybe Columbia's soccer field). As they "Wander," they'll sellout every game and develop an intense fan culture. Playing in the USL equivalent of Giants Stadium, in both location and size, doesn't help.

3. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think i said this a while ago, too - or just thought it to myself.

They are actually setting it up in a proper way. Instead of saying "we have a team, give us a Draft and a couple of DP's", they are starting from the roots and having kids come through teh academy first. With these young kids playing together from the time they are 14 or 15, by the time they are 19-25 years old, their team work will be phenomenal. It doesn't always requite having the best players.
    Man United did it for years. Brought young players through the ranks, and the established amazing team chemistry. I hope that is FCNY's intentions...or at least I think it already is.

4. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all good and all, but their media relations were terrible. With no exaggeration here, it was a catastrophe. They announced their club on April Fool's Day. They established an effortless, godaddy.com-templated website. The grammar was atrocious. There was no useful content on the website at all, only directions to give FCNY your money. They essentially lied about trying to play matches at Belson, Icahn and Baker Fields (which falsely led to the "Wanderers" nickname). After originally announcing that their club will play in USL1 in 2010, it now appears that they will play in whatever the "second division" will be in 2011 (some part of this isn't their fault, but I'd argue that FCNY would be in this situation regardless of the whole USSF D2 fiasco).

So having the youth club foundation is great. In fact, it's honorable. But if that's the aspect we admire about another "New York" club, why not anticipate the Cosmos return? They have two academies fully running, with a total of 3 U-17 players in the most recent NT call-up (more than any academy system in the country -past all MLS teams). The Cosmos are trying to build the club correctly (and what appears to be "backwards" in the US). With the financing they appear to have, a club history that the world knows, and has the power to grace the front cover of the British FourFourTwo magazine, FCNY has withered away with my expectations. I hope they develop. I hope they play in Queens. I hope for more soccer in the NY area. But I can't believe this is going to be a fruitful venture.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodfellas SC huh?

[​IMG]

Okay, thats three supporters more than I thought they would ever get....:rolleyes:

I mean seriously? This-this is an elaborate practical joke. A team is announced on april fools day of all days, they don't seem to update any news on their own website (I think I could consider them a legitmate franchise if they at least had a monthly report or something), the logo looks like its made on MS paint, and their supporters sound like somebody just thought of a name off the spot.

I don't even think that website is linked to the actual franchise. I bet its just some a-hole who looked at their webpage and said "I can do better than that without even trying!" The site dosn't even work, I click on something it says either coming soon or some other B.S, then I can't click on another section. This franchise could be compose of one guy sitting is his parents basement and he would put more effort into his product than this.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article quotes FCNY's Weston. So maybe they are still around .

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Jan 8th & 9th they are holding tryouts at AXTON, VA.?! What the hell is that? There is plenty of players in Long Island, Westchester, 5 boroughs, Southern CT. & New Jersey. Why are they going to Virginia?

Terrible.

10. Soccerfever10

Soccerfever10 New Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I haven't kept up with things with FCNY. Anyone have definitive info on which league they intend to play in for 2011? I know that in the past they were firmly in the USL camp.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its got to be USL Pro or bust with these guys.

Unless NPSL wants them.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Pick up soccer ?

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These "supporters clubs" obviously don't exist.
    Try e-mailing them about it.

15. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does somebody wanna go suit up for the tryouts and ask some questions?

16. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your questions won't have any answers.
    some of us have been down that road.
    Christ..i can't beleive i was at that press conference.
    What a waste of time.

17. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see that we have reached page 5 of this thread. :cool:

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    lol, the FC New York will never be forgotten

19. Seaside

Seaside Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Matt Weibe's last sale. What a joke. Will never play a game.

20. soccerfan247

soccerfan247 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wow, I just realized the Aztecs moved to Orlando. Thats the real news to me. And the owner actually exists! shocking revalations abound!

These guys should play at St.Johns. They have a 2,600 SSS, it sounds perfect for the attendance they'll probably get, all jokes aside about nobody showing up.

22. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only thing future Cosmos fans and Redbull fans will have in common is how hard we will laugh at FCNY.

23. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won't get a chance. No way these clowns play one game.

24. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So MS Paint SC will play this season!

I am looking forward to the friendly banter between the ESC or BB, and Goodfelllas firms during Open cup matches and friendlies.....

25. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FCNY is playing in Hofstra, I wonder how this will impact the Long Island Rough Riders, they have decent attendance for a PDL side.