"Significance of US Olympic Qualifying Performance [R]"

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by tigersoccer2005, Feb 11, 2004.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reflections on the significance of U.S. Olimpic Qualifying Loss

So the CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers are over and Mexico and Costa Rica will go to Athens. The U.S. team has long past the point in its history where just showing up and playing well were good enough. The main goal was to qualify for the Olympics and it didnt happen----so in a very real sense you could say that the endeavor was a failure. The U.S. team played with mixed results--at no time did I feel they were a dominant force in the tournament, but I thought we were good enough to at least be competitive in the final, keep it close and possibly win. Instead we get a resounding 4-0 loss---a true buttwhipping. My question is--what does this loss mean to U.S. soccer? Any positives to take out of the experience? Do you go back and restructure the youth team? Do you go in a different coaching direction? Do you just forget it and focus on World Cup and Gold Cup?

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I think the inability to call over players like Yi, Oneywu, Simek, and Casey might have had something to do with the poor showing. Obviously the offense was there in the first three games scoring 10 goals. I think any US fan that thought we were going to dominate Mexico in Mexico last night (and there were a lot of them) were smoking some good stuff. It was obvious that our defense was bad, we gave up three goals to Panama for goodness sakes! I'm not sure why we weren't able to get some of these players, but in qualifying the demand should be put on the table that they're released from their teams. I suppose that Mooch didn't want to rock the boat and pull the players out of their respective teams, but its qualifying, you should get your best team possible.

If i'm missing something and the FIFA rules of releasing players for national team duty don't apply to U-23 players that I apologize. Hats off to Mexico on a dominant performance against our team last night. We don't deserve to be in Athens after that display.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    FYI, your thread title should have been

"Significance of US Olympic Qualifying Performance [R]"

not "Reflections on the significance of U.S. Olimpic Qualifying Loss "

Not that most people don't know already, but you can't blow results in thread titles.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    It's just added some spice to the upcoming hex.

Sucks, but you can't win all the big games.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    my 2cts: work on keepers and defense!

the rest can hold up a game with out being drop down like an ugly girlfriend.

6. Chris Caron

Chris Caron New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Wilmington
    That's the first time I've heard anyone say we need to improve the keeper and the defense...have we turned a corner or something?

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yeap!

that is the solid area of the nats...in the past or at least with the older team.

but the youth has problems: giving up 3 goals vs panama should have trriggered some alarms, and then on a meaningless game vs HDS giving up 3 more... is not fun! is it?

8. jacknzoe

jacknzoe New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Tulsa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    midfield and defense

The fact that Bocangra, Whitbread, Cherundolo are getting experience in Europe is a huge plus. Donovan is an attacking midfielder as is Convey and Beasley. Not one of those three has the touch or field vision of a Reyna or O'brien- at least not yet. When those two are not in our line-up, we are a different team. Donovan needs club experience in Europe now more than ever. Its too bad he got the shaft and wasn't allowed to play with Portsmouth, who despite their record has world class players. I'd like to see Beasley play in Europe as well. He may be a little light for the EPL and the Bundesliga but there should be a team willing to take a chance given his speed and tenacity. Bobby Convey is several seasons in the MLS away from European consideration.

We are not going to draw or beat Mexico in every pivital match, but a collapse like yesterday is too much. Too many bad touches and turn overs in the middle third is my guess, not having seen the game yet. Unfortunately I've seen it before.
    W.C. qualifying is coming up. Maybe this game will add fuel to the fire when it really counts and force us once again to focus on our defensive development.

This loss was taken largely by a -23 B squad and in contrast the -23 Mex side is quite good. Hopefully against Clockwork Orange we will see the contrast of O'Brian and Reyna working the midfield.

Athens, after all is a cess pool these days. Greece is seriously anti-U.S.. You can keep the Olympics anyway. There are far greater tournaments in world futbol and W.C. qualifying is just around the corner.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: midfield and defense

Don't forget Simek....heck even Spector, since we are talking about defenders

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, of course, as long as you don't define Tottenham Hotspur as part of Europe. Do you even think before you post?

11. jacknzoe

jacknzoe New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Tulsa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, of course, as long as you don't define Tottenham Hotspur as part of Europe. Do you even think before you post?

Are you for real? Tottenham Hotspur is in the middle half of the table despite their meltdown against city. And speaking of thinking, big brain, what MLS team would you propose to take on the likes of Robbie Keane, Steven Carr, Christian Zeige, Anderton, Poyet, Postiga etc. etc..

I'd say heed your own advice. Must be Ty Keough!

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reflections on the significance of U.S. Olimpic Qualifying Loss

Hey, I liked your post. You've calmed down my fears and helped me make sense of this, and put it in perspective. Thank you.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My God, what a bunch of unintelligible gibberish. OK, I guess we have to do this S L O W L Y.

1. You said that Convey is several MLS seasons away from European consideration.

2. Eight months ago, Tottenham Hotspur signed a contract with Bobby Convey.

3. Conclusion -- Convey is NOT years away from European consideration as evidenced by the fact that a European team already tried to get him on their team.

I have no idea what the reference to Tottenham playing MLS teams refers too.

14. jacknzoe

jacknzoe New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Tulsa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my mistake

My God, what a bunch of unintelligible gibberish. OK, I guess we have to do this S L O W L Y.

1. You said that Convey is several MLS seasons away from European consideration.

2. Eight months ago, Tottenham Hotspur signed a contract with Bobby Convey.

3. Conclusion -- Convey is NOT years away from European consideration as evidenced by the fact that a European team already tried to get him on their team.

I have no idea what the reference to Tottenham playing MLS teams refers too.

You're right about Tottenham and Convey. I remember hearing about that. I'm not saying he isn't a talented player but he shows his age with a lot of his touches. He lacks vision and consistency in my opinion- typical of young players.
    As for my last post- chalk it up to chibberish in response to a troll. I completely misunderstood your insult. Thanks for clarifying S L O W L Y.

15. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For Davids26

Sorry to jump into the middle of this thrilling p*ssing contest, but to clarify for Davids26, it was not the USA braintrust at fault for not getting the Euro based players. Unlike the WC and WYC (u20), there is no FIFA rule forcing clubs to release players for the Olympic qualifying. It hurt Canada big time too (although our performance was inexcusable).
    You'll get another kick at the Mexicans soon I'm sure. A bad loss now and then builds rivalry.

16. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Re: For Davids26

Thanks for the clarification. This probably goes along with FIFA not wanting the Olympics to be bigger than the World Cup so they don't mandate that teams can demand players to be released for the qualifiers? Might have something to do with it.

Either way the Olympics just got a lot less interesting for me.

17. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Re: For Davids26

No kidding: mexico took your place in baseball and futbol!

now, the presentation from last nite does not help much the quest for better things to come.... Hds on Pks, leaves the keeper out of the loop for the next call up of sub23.

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure Mexico knocked us out of Baseball and Futbol.
    However, they did not beat our best baseball team, not by a long shot, secondly they beat our U-23 team and showed that we need improvement there. But, last time we met Mexico in a tourney with the big boys I think we handled ourselves quite well. 2-0 if memory serves in the WC.

Losing the way we did in Mexico should serve as a reminder that while the US program has come a long way, we still have a ways to go. Hopefully by playing without many of the top U-23 players that we have we gained some depth and exp. And like a previous poster stated, sometimes getting your butt kicked is good inspiration to help along the rivalry.

As for MLS, I would love to see the pocket books open just a bit more, not to put them under by any means, but to bring in a few more world class players so that the league can be stronger. And who knows maybe get a North American version of the UEFA cup going here. Someday I want to see an MLS team play against teams like Boca Juniors or AC Milan and be competitive. I know, that is a pipe dream, but without the dream where is the inspiration?

19. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    NEXT MEETING: dallas @ the cotton Bowl for the Big boys...

I had hope the issue was settled last week.

WC02 was long ago.... lets look forward the next game

Mexico will be with CR at copa America, while the USA will looking for meaningless friendlies vs Holland or Haiti

true or not?

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I wouldn't call Holland a walkover or imply that a game with them is meaningless. However on the last stage that truly meant something when the US played Mexico (you know that big tourney that is only played every 4 years) the US won.

Now the next meaningful game that the US will play Mexico in will most likely be WC qualifying. True?

I am truly glad that this rivalry is growing, and even more so that the US in the past 14 years has shown that it can compete with Mexico. Given that in Mexico nothing is larger then Futbol here in the US soccer just isn't the mainstream game. The game is awesome and I love it, but even though kids here play, our passion is not for soccer. It is for American Football, and Basketball, and to a lesser extent baseball then Hockey. To see the US play on the World Stage as well as we have is great. I hope that this rivalry grows, that it catches the eye of the average American Fan, you know the ones who spend the weekend watching the NCAA, then the NFL games, and makes them want to watch to see what the fuss is all about.

So I say let the Mexican press say what they will, let the fans chant what they want, lets get the US Media to care, to see what goes on at these games, and maybe when the US plays Mexico here in the states, it won't feel like an away game.

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    here is a grp of heavy weights for next USA game...

Edwin van der Sar (Fulham, England), Ronald Waterreus (PSV Eindhoven)

Defenders: Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven), Frank de Boer (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Michael Reiziger (Barcelona, Spain), Jaap Stam (Lazio, Italy), Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, England)

Midfielders: Phillip Cocu (Barcelona, Spain), Edgar Davids (Barcelona, Spain), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan, Italy); Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich, Germany), Marc Overmars (Barcelona, Spain), Andy van der Meyde (Internazionale of Milan, Italy), Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax Amsterdam), Pierre van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, England)

Its been 10 games since the USA has not win a game in europe!

22. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO

The U.S. should have known better to field a B squad. Also, as far as I can recall, players like Bobby Convey, Damarcus Beasley, Landon Donovan, Chad Marshall and Alecko Escandarian aren't "B" players.

The "B" side excuse is getting played out already.

Regarding the Mexican Sub-23 squad, you are halfway correct. The players ARE good, and they played hard. They worked hard for their victory and they earned it by playing well throughout the tournament.

Nevertheless, those players aren't decorated players or starters at their home club teams. Some of them have returned to their squads recently, only to be given a pat on the back and told that they still have to earn their places.

Players like Rafael Marquez Lugo, who played an important part in scoring and setting up Mexico's goals, wasn't even called up to the senior squad for the game against Chile. He's still not good enough.

Get some dignity please. Buy some if you have to.

And the ticket to the Olympics is ours. We earned it. We're keeping it.

And you're right - there are far more important tournaments in World football other than the World Cup, such as the European Championship and Copa America. Sadly, you won't be playing in either, so World Cup qualifying in CONCACAF will have to do.

23. jacknzoe

jacknzoe New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Tulsa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: midfield and defense

Not really..the summer olympics largely suck. Sorry if that opinion is undignified. The coverage alone makes it a chore to watch.
    The real tragedy is losing to Mexico....anytime, anywhere at any level for whatever reason.
    Congradulations on the win, you were the better team. Going to Athens- big deal. I wish we had won, but you can keep the summer Olympics.

24. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    Re: Re: Re: midfield and defense

I don't care what you say about the Olympics. I don't even remember a single event at the last Olympics, because I don't even watch them myself.

But there's no reason to say that Athens is a "cess-pool" - that's just uncalled for.