Sigi to be our new coach???

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Nov 16, 2003.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok follow the rumors...

1. Rumor Sigi is out. I actaully have strong sources that say this is true. MLS confidential saying there is a chance, but it sounds like it is done.

2. Couple sources, some media (including MLS Conf), some behind sceen... say Sigi is candidate here in Dallas if he is canned.

3. Rumor breaks that LA new coach will be Jurgen Klinsman. I have strong source that agrees.

4. Elliott says Burn are on pace to announce coach before MLS Cup...

So can we say Sigi will be announced as new Burn head coach by Wednesday? Or does anyone still think it will be Mo or Colin if Sigi is avaliable?

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very Interesting.

IF Sigi is available - I don't know how he comes in 2nd behind people who have ZERO head coaching experience in MLS. Sigi may have had an off year - but the guy has been to MLS Cup twice, winning once. He's got a US Open Cup. His trophy case validates his pedigree.

Colin Clarke is my #2 choice and IF Sigi is hired I hope Colin stays on.

Mo is a distant #3. He has been an asst for 1 or 2 years. Big Whoop.

You know - now that we are headed back to teh Cotton Bowl, EVERYTHING CHANGES. I want a coach who can put some trophies in the trophy case. 8 YEARS - 1 Cup. I want more. I want an MLS Cup and I think Sigi gives us our best chance at that.

And Klinsmaan in LA - that came out of nowhere. Very Interesting.

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While I wouldn't mind Clarke as head coach, this might be too good to pass up. Hire Sigi and try to keep Clarke. By having Clarke stay on, it helps Sigi by having someone who knows the current roster.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I poked around a bit, and hear Clarke is still in... But as posted elsewhere Bliss is out, and Mo is falling behind.

But I can't find anyone near Burn who mentions Sigi. I am hearing something else and am trying to track it down.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The HSG/Elliott team seems to be very good at keeping things hush-hush. Was there any inkling that the Burn would move back to the Cotton Bowl prior to last Thursday's announcement?

I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with the head coach announcement. Rumors of Clarke or Johnston circulating about, and bam, the Burn hire Sigi (or whomever).

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are very tight. The Cotton Bowl thing came out of no where. I can't find anyone not in the front offcice that knew about it before the press release.

7. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    You don't have to confirm, 3rddegree, fill us in. What's the strange thing you're hearing?

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ChrisE posted on the other thread...
    I heard that Scheulls was still in it... when last week I heard he was out.

9. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    I see. Is this because of SMU's dramatic penalty kick title in the MVC this year? The MVC isn't MLS, but at least it's a trophy for the case.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well after the Cotton Bowl announcement, I think that anythings possible. The Klinsman thing is also possible becuase he trains with the Gals all the time, so I could see that happening. Hmmm, Cotton Bowl + Sigi = Success? Sounds like a good equation to me.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's actually been to MLS Cup three times -- 1999, 2001, 2002.

I think that if LA fires him, it just proves that they're idiots. If we don't hire him the next day, it would prove that we're even bigger idiots.

And while I'm sure that there are a bunch of LA fans who don't like the way his teams play... Are you kidding me? I'm sorry, I thought that this game was all about results. And the guy has gotten them.

Before they hired him, they had won a grand total of one trophy in three seasons (1996-98), a Supporters Shield in 1998, before the damn trophy even existed. And they had been to one MLS Cup final in '96. Period. That's all. Since they hired him in mid '99, they've won silverware and they've been in finals.

12. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    From a 'dollars that sometimes make no cents' point-of-view, there has to be an eye on money already spent relative to the position.

HSG lost how much money paying Jeffries? Sigi will cost how much more than keeping Clarke in place?

Sure, you can offset past/current losses with the proper forecast, but what exactly does 'proper' mean in this case? While we might hope that Sigi will 'work through' a questionable 2004, at least results-wise, will the tenure of his contract maximize the opening of Frisco with a formidable side? Would we have to offer a longer contract than usual - just so we can have stability in such a critical position during those precious first couple of years at Frisco?

We certainly don't want any transience at head coach after Frisco opens. A team in flux, especially with the 'sensitive' task of penetrating a brand new market, doesn't exactly spell-out 'repeat customer'. So, it seems necessary to have at least three-year contract in place for the new head coach. And it certainly seems, on the surface, that Sigi would be much more expensive than the other candidates in this case.

While the move back to the CB has somewhat changed my mind about HSG, I'm not convinced that they're ready to make any long-term commitments outside of the ones they've recently made; namely, the move back to the CB, and, of course, the pending expenditures of coming Frisco. But it would certainly go a long way in eliminating most of the doubts I have about HSG where the future of the Burn and their stake in MLS are concerned.

13. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I figured all along that Schellas was first in line--until I heard that Sigi was going to be looking for a job.

Of Schellas or Sigi, I would rather have Sigi.

He's won MLS Cup

UCLA is a better college program, based on the results and the players now in MLS

He has the confidence of the high priest of USSF.

If they hire Schellas when they could have hired Sigi, I would qualify that as an unnecessary risk. If you CAN go with a guy like Sigi, you DO go with him.

14. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing about this thread is that I posted what I had on Sigi, then started tracking down more info...

and that was I ran across the Schelllus stuff.

Maybe Dustin should put all three coach threads into one.... or not.

I too would prefer Sigi over Schellus. I would also prefer Clarke over Schellus.