Sigi gone

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Yoshou, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the reminiscing begin! After years upon years of fan unrest, multiple #SigiOut campaigns, and a dismal 6W-12L-2D season, the Sounders have decided that enough is enough and sent Sigi out to pasture (Southern California). Sigi has led the Sounders to 4 USOC Championships, a Supporters' Shield, and seven consecutive playoff appearances. However, he has failed to get over that final hump and get the Sounders into the MLS Cup finals and, as a result, failed on bringing the MLS Cup to Seattle.

Long-term SSFC assistant coach and USL Sounders head coach and player, Brian Schmetzer has been named as the interim head coach and will lead the team while the team hunts for a replacement.

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016...mid-mutually-agree-part-ways-after-eight-year

Thoughts on the termination and/or the timing of said termination.

2. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wish Sigi the best, but this was overdue.

Seems unlikely Sounders would hire Schmetzer full time unless they go on an epic end of season run, but at least he gets a shot when the team isn't hopelessly out of it.

FlapJack repped this.
  3. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's reasonable to make a change given how long Sigi's been here and the results over the last year (going back to mid 2015).

At the same time, it's not clear to me where the chief responsibility for the last year lies, as I've been a little muddy on who is making the personnel and perhaps even some of the formation decisions.

One thing I do know, whoever ultimately takes over on a full time basis will find it very difficult to match Schmid's achievements, let alone surpass them. I think the "Sigi out" crowd may be in for a rude awakening.

kaburu and the_rickler repped this.
  4. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught the video of Lagerway answering questions re: the coaching change on the Sounders website. It definitely leaves me with the impression that there was a Sigi vs. Garth dynamic at play in terms of how the team should play and who should be on it.

5. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it.. why couldn't they have waited until after this weekend's game????

kaburu repped this.
  7. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ughh, yeah Sigi's going to want to win this Saturday's game badly.

8. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This hardly seems likely:rolleyes:

Seaball repped this.
  9. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laid the foundation in Seattle. A big part of the foundation for the game in this country. Not enough can be said.

kaburu repped this.