Side Trips to Paris and Italy during WC

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by BatigoL5, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Oh yeah, make sure to see the "Tre Cime di Lavaredo" when you're there too. They are spectacular.

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    recommended cities from me

with train from Cologne for example good trip to Brussel or Paris
    from Berlin good trip to Prague
    from Hamburg good trip to Copenhagen.
    Copenhagen and Prague are very nice cities.
    for those who stay near Trier (from Kaiserslautern not that so extra far away) - good trip to Luxembourg

many good side trips from Germany.

I myself often do trips to Paris or Brussel from Cologne with thalys trains.
    http://www.thalys.com/

bltleo
    GERMANY

3. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greetings from Abraxas coffee shop in Amsterdam

All my friensd are gettin high and I'm on BigSoccer to stay in touch with all you good people.

P.S. Everybody. And I mean EVERYBODY ni Amsterdam speaks English.

Off to Heidelberg tomorrow, take care.

4. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Amsterdam is another good tip. It is actually very good to reach with train from Cologne (direct train).

So many advantages to stay in Cologne - trips to Holland/Belgium/Luxembourg or Paris.

bltleo
    GERMANY

5. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I need some more advice or suggestions on these side trips I plan to take.

The plan right now is to leave for Paris on early morning of June 22nd and return June 24th.
    Is it possible to leave for Paris from Gelsenkirchen?
    I'm still not sure between taking a train or flight.
    If train, any suggestion as to what train I can take? I've read and reviewed at least three different rail sites now. I'd prefer to take train if it is 4-5 hrs as I would really want something scenic.

Now for my trip to Rome, I'm guessing for that, it has to be flight as it is further then Paris, right?

Thanks again to everyone for helping out.

6. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Unless you take sleeper car on a train, saving hotel costs and daylight time in transit.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Depending on schedules, some of the group I'm travelling with might make a side-trip to Salzburg.

8. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a couple of people here in this thread have suggested Brussel's as well.
    I've read and heard good things on Brussels.

To some one who has never been to Europe like myself, which one do you who have been to both suggest?

Thanks

9. SammySounder

SammySounder Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My side trip of choice this year will be Budapest. I mean after all, how many chances do you find yourself being able to go to Hungary? Supposed to be a beautiful city, relatively cheap and you can get an overnighter from Munich. I'll probably head to somewhere in Northern Italy too, but haven't decide where. Florence perhaps, maybe Milan.

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if you never been to Europe and you would like to do trip around Europe, you have few choises... it depends where you will stay during the World Cup
    if you are near Cologne then I would recommend you PARIS....I like Paris better than Brussel.....definitely..

if you stay in Berlin or Nürnberg for example: the next european city I would recommend you is PRAGUE, historic and nice city - one of the most beautiful cities in Europe for me....but with the plane (low cost airlines) you can visit any european city from Germany very easy..

so my recommendation:
    Paris, Prague and Vienna

11. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well right now I'm staying in Frankfurt.
    But my plan was to visit Paris from Gelsenkirchen.
    I'll be in Gelsenkirchen for a game.
    Could I take a train to Paris from Gelsenkirchen?

Also Blteo, you suggested Thalys as train for Paris.
    Is that one of the better ones around you suggest?
    I know there are a few different ones out there with your expierence, would you suggest Thalys over the others?

Thanks so much for your help!!

12. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Thalys is just the high-speed way to get to Paris (the bullet train). But it only travels certain routes because of the need for rails that can support it (IIRC). ICE trains aren't as fast, but are still plenty fast.

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yes you can take ICE from Frankfurt to Cologne (extra speed - 1 hour) and from Cologne THALYS to Paris. The ICE from Frankfurt to Cologne is extra speed (very good one). If you need detailed plan, I will send you it out.

Or directly train from Frankfurt to Paris (let me a moment I find it out if there is direct train from Frankfurt - but I´m sure there is one).

14. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bltleo I know this has been said before but I feel it must be said again...

Thank you for all the help you are providing to this board.
    I can't even begin to tell you how many different sites I've been to trying to get this trip together.
    And as helpful as those sites are, nothing can beat personal expierence!

I have sent you a PM.

15. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Frankfurt yesterday. You might as well be in Chicago :)

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no you don´t disturb me...it is pleasure for me to help...

I send you list of all spas in Rheinland-Pfalz area soon,

bltleo

17. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Our group is taking a sidetrip to Prague (PRG) the day after the Italy game. There is a cheap flight out of Stuttgart (STR) on www.germanwings.com that leaves sunday afternoon (6/18). We're staying in Prague for 2 nights and heading back to Berlin by train thereafter.

FYI...

18. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Frankfurt is not typical german city:)....more banking centre..

did you like Frankfurt?

you must visit Cologne or Munich or Berlin - beautiful cities.

bltleo
    GERMANY

19. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I know Prague very good. Where you are stayng there?

Germanwings is good recommendation. There are also very good flight from Cologne to Prague with germanwings.

Germanwings is actually good low-airline - you can do many trips around Europe with. Just have a look at this. You can do travelling around Germany or to fly to next european cities. It is very cheap if you book in advance.

From Berlin to Prague it is not so far away with train.

The next possibility is to take train from Nürnberg to Prague. Since USA plays in Nürnberg, good side trip from Nürnberg to Prague as well.

20. msaut9784

msaut9784 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    OH, RI
    I plan to hit both Paris and Prague in between the USA games. After our first match, I am planning on traveling from Dusseldorf(sp) to Paris where I will be for a few days. Coming back from Paris for the second match. After the Ghana game, I am heading to Prague for a few days before heading back to Berlin where I fly out.

21. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    awesome! I am totally going to get this flight, i was planning on taking the train back to berlin after the game and then taking the train to prague but this is cheaper and faster!

are there direct trains from kaiserslautern to stuttgart after the game?

22. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL.

I'm excited as the next person for the WC but I think you are jumping the gun a tad bit getting there a few months early.:D