Side Trips to Paris and Italy during WC

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by BatigoL5, Dec 31, 2005.

1. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staying in Frankfurt for the WC, I'm looking to take two side trips to Paris and Vatican City.

I know there is a thread somewhere here about very cheap airfare traveling from one country to another while in Germany but I can't find it.

If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll keep looking and hopefully I can find it.

Thanks to all.

And on a side note, anyone know how long a trip to either city via plane would take?

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Paris is only a 5 hour train ride...probably not even worth flying unless you definitely just want to do it as a day trip.

3. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its called Raynair or something very close to that is the website for cheap airfare for inter europe travel. We are also going to go to italy for a few days after the second game.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably thinking of Ryan Air. Very cheap, no frills European airline.

6. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My group is going to Prague and Amsterdam from Berlin. The Amsterdam train ride is long, 11 hours, but if you have a Germany-only pass you can just train it to the border, or Dusseldorf, and take a short one across.

Or just use the Germany-Benelux pass.

7. mad4footie

mad4footie Member

Oct 31, 2003
    New England
    http://www.flybudget.com/ This is a great website listing virtually all of the lowcost airlines and where they fly. Ryanair and Easyjet are probably the best known in Europe and have the most cities. Ryanair usually does not use the most convenient airports but their prices are hard to beat.

8. ars20

ars20 Member

Dec 29, 2005
    PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, thanks guys!

I found the links I was looking for finally after I read your replies.
    Boy, I must have read that thread at least 10 times and not paid attention.

Anyone else thinking about about taking any side trips?

10. mad4footie

mad4footie Member

Oct 31, 2003
    New England
    Copenhagen...not far from Hamburg by train and a fantastic city to visit. I'd also like to go to Prague.

11. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copenhagen is a great city - if you have the time for a sidetrip, I'd highly recommend it. Even over Paris.

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I may take a day trip to either Brussels or Amsterdam on the 15th or 16th...should be fun. Leaning towards Brussels since I've never been there (although I've only been to Amsterdam for a few hours, but it's still "checked off the list" already).

13. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've both heard and read that Brussels is a really great city and a must see
    if you have any down time.
    I'm still torn on what to do on our down time but right now I'm leaning on the side trips.

14. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Both Brussels and Brugge are great places. Brussels has a nice cafe culture, and Brugge is nice city - good for chocolate, fries, and a nice little museum.

15. mad4footie

mad4footie Member

Oct 31, 2003
    New England
    I second the recommendations for Brussels and Brugge (a one hour train ride from Brussels..like walking back in time 400 years). Brussels is a wonderful city to visit and the people there are both friendly and very helpful (and most speak English)

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I found this to be the case in almost all of Europe. The "snobby" rap isn't deserved -- at all, even in France.

17. mad4footie

mad4footie Member

Oct 31, 2003
    New England
    The only time I went to France was for the Confederation Cup...not a whole lot of English going on but the people were really nice...and unexpected surprise considering it was 2003 the Iraqui war had just begun. I have had not problems anywhere I traveled in Europe but Belgium stands out as a place where people are especially helpful.

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    FWIW I was in Prague about a week after the Iraq war started and couldn't buy myself a drink once people realized I was American. Great town, highly reccomended if you get the chance. May be tough to get to since it's nowhere near Gelsenkirchen or K-town, but Nuremberg isn't too far away at all--I'd highly suggest a 2 day or so side trip between the Italy and Ghana games.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a flight from Dortmund to Rome then Rome to Basel for 50 Euros on Easyjet (www.easyjet.com). Will spend 3 nights and 2 full days in Rome - 1 day touring Vatican, 2nd day Coliseum, etc. Leaves Dortmund the day after the match with Czech republic.

20. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P.S. Rail prices went up as of the first of January.

21. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good grief... how is one to save money then??

Hey, as long as the prices of the brothel aren't outrages, we're all good!!

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    FKK Germany (google) for more information

23. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second your second. ;)

I think with 5 1/2 months to go, I have enough time to work on my German and French. Hopefully by then I can learn enough to get around without too much trouble - while I agree that most folks in Europe are very friendly, it doesn't hurt to try and speak the local lingo.

24. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I'm thinking of heading down to the Dolomites by train for a few days before the USA-Ghana match.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The Dolomites are beautiful. Make sure to stop by Bassano del Grappa. It's the town that grappa is named for, and you can go to the Jacopo Poli distillery for a tour (they give you free grappa afterwards). But the real highlight of the town is its own "Ponte Vecchio" (old bridge). This one is a wooden bridge designed by the master architect Palladio.

You should also check out Cortina d'Ampezzo, which is a beautiful ski resort town. It's the town that featured the ski chase scene in For Your Eyes Only.

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Venice back in 2001, and booked the Dolomites tour with Venice Day Tours. If you book with them, tell Jonathan that Jan and I said hello. :)