Side-trip to Swiss Alps

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by Rickster, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I'm considering a trip to the Swiss Alps before or after the US-Ghana match. Does anyone know how possible this is in terms of train travel? If I'm basing myself in Munich for the match in Nuremberg, is that doable?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    When I was in Munich, I rented a car to see Neushwanstein (sp) and the Austrian Alps (it's only about an hour). If you want to go to Switzerland, it's going to take longer.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was planning on heading over there after the US-Ghana game. That is if I get tickets. :)

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    My wife and I love Switzerland but it is a little out of the way and somewhat expensive. You may just want to visit the German and/or Austrian Alps instead.

Guess which is which from these pictures...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Any particular reason you want to go to Switzerland? The German and Austrian Alps are just as scenic and beautiful.

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'll be in Munich as well, Switzerland is close enough that you could probably make a 2 day/1 night trip out of it but the German and Austrian Alps are a day trip.

I briefly entertained the thought of getting a day or 2 of glacier skiing in on this trip, but apart from the fact that I can't really fit it into my budget, the absolute LAST thing I want to do is lug ski boots around Germany for 2 weeks.

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    FCT--Well the 3rd is the Matterhorn in Switzerland, so I'm going to go Germany #1 and Austria #2.

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    yep, yep, and yep.

9. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prague is the place to go for the 3 day 2 nite trip b/w K-town and Nurenburg. I will be there and, of course, Amsterdam after Kelsenkirchen to start the party off with a bang . . .

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be trying to make many side trips to all of the countries around Germany, including Switzerland.

11. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned, the Austrian and German Alps are closer to that area. For my money the Dolomites are more dramatic. What do you want do there? Mountain hiking is going to be about the same everywhere. Do you have a Heidi fantasy? Sound of Music? Switzerland is a relatively small country, but you want to be more careful about the speed limits. The castles in Neuschwanstein are interesting to see once, but these are still in Germany, just near the Austrian border. Zurich is nice but VERY expensive. The rest of the country is not too bad. There's a pretty nice historical park in Switzerland, near Bern IIRC, that you can walk through and see how Swiss life evolved through several centuries, sort of a Swiss Williamsburg, if you will. I liked that place. If you want to see the Matterhorn, thats in Zermatt (last pic in the group above) and quite a ways south. Scion is a pretty cool looking town near there, with castles built on large stone promontories.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    This is on my shortlist for a sidetrip...should I decide to take one. We are also considering Slovenia and Croatia.

13. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Mostly looking to chill in a nice 4 or 5-star mountain resort, do some hiking, kick back, enjoy scenery, etc. Basically, the soccer games are for me, and my wife gets to enjoy the rest of our European holiday as she sees fit. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

14. Forza Bayern

Forza Bayern New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    Stuttgart

It's doable, but you will need at least 3 days (2 for driving by train or car or flying), because it is too far from Munich, especially Zermatt (the famous mountain "Matterhorn").
    There are some trains leaving to Zürich every day.

Instead you could drive very comfortable to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (picture #1). It is just one to one-and-a-half hour to drive. Trains to Garmisch leave every hour.
    A beautiful landscape. The "Zugspitze" is the highest mountain of the Northern Alps. You will have a fantastic view from the top of it.
    And Garmisch speaks English, due to US military in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Take a look at Canton Graubünden in East Switzerland. There you find Davos, St. Moritz and Klosters (all of which have great hotel facilities.) By train you can reach the region in 6-7 hours from Munich...

www.myswitzerland.com / St. Moritz / Davos / Klosters

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one on the bottom is from Disneyland, right? :eek:

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded!

Garmisch was our home base when our family was over for the '72 Olympics (yes, I'm that old)...wonderful people and the view from the room at the Garmischerhof was incredible!

Man, from there you could be in Italy in two hours!