Sick talent in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by AtlantaGunner, Jul 7, 2016.

1. AtlantaGunner

AtlantaGunner Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, yesterday I was listening to SiriusXM Channel 85 (Soccer Talk). I was in the car and listened to the end of the Portugal/Wales match. Afterwards Christopher Sullivan was doing his show with Steve Cangialosi. Much to my surprise, it was actually pretty decent. Sully has always run hot and cold with me. He definitely has a tendency to #humblebrag a ton. Just when he says something really prophetic, he attaches some big ego moment to basically ruin it. One such example yesterday: He referenced a woman he was dating a while back who located someone talented in another country. He then had to say she was a former "Ms. Panama" or something like that. Completely irrelevant. Anyway, I digress.

Sully mentioned something that piqued my interest. He went on and on for several minutes about some American player who is current playing in Mexico. According to him, he is the best talent he has seen in a LONG LONG time. Allegedly he feels like he will make a huge impact on the national stage. I know this is a lot of hype, but it definitely had me wondering who it is. He made it sound like he was 17 or 18. And I guess he is being scouted by a bunch of clubs from Europe. But, for some odd reason, he wouldn't say who it was. I tried to find out who this person is, but I haven't had any luck.

So, I ask you Big Soccer Boards -- do you know who this is???

2. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Saucedo?

jwat15 repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the deterrence against him disclosing the kid's name? Doesn't want to create too much pressure for him?

I've been impressed with Saucedo the couple times I saw him play in Mexico, but he doesn't seem the type of kid to generate that type of hype. Just a good all-around player. Doesn't possess a standout physical or skill trait, and doesn't score boatloads of goals. I think he'll be part of the senior setup in the future, but as a role guy.

I'd think more along the lines of someone in their youth systems who we aren't able to see regularly. Brandon Vasquez would be a good bet because he's already with the U.S. u-20's, had a big season scoring-wise for Tijuana u-17, seemingly didn't move up only due to system congestion, he's a pretty physically imposing player (especially for someone of Mexican descent), and Klinsmann seems to be supporting him. He's taken multiple photos with him recently. I'm sure he watched him play when he visited Tijuana this past year. And his opinion means something in Europe.

The other good possibilities would be Carlos Flores of Santos and Jonathan Gonzalez of Monterrey.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'm going with Jonathan Gonzalez at Monterrey.

bballshawn and Gacm32 repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    this, or angel uribe

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure he was talking about Michael Orozco.

8. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I would rep that twice if I could

kickin365 repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Is he sick because he drank the water?

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some possibilities:
    Joe Gallardo, unattached from Monterrey
    Angel Uribe, Tijuana
    Brandon Vazquez, Tijuana
    Ernesto Espinoza, Tijuana
    Jonathan Gonzalez, Monterrey
    Benny Diaz, Queretaro (unlikely, as he's a keeper)
    Edwin Lara, Pachuca (though I think he's leaning toward Mexico)
    Jose Alfaro Jr., Monarcas Morelia
    Leonardo Marquez-Ramirez, Leon

If I had to choose one, I'd say Uribe.

11. AtlantaGunner

AtlantaGunner Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to the broadcast and had to take a few calls, so I missed a little of the exchange about the player Sully was talking about. That said, my understanding was that he didn't want to blow this kid up yet because of media coverage -- or overhype him. But, he literally talked about him in a way that I haven't hard him talk about anyone who is a semi-unknown. I did think he was also hiding who it was because he is behind the scenes trying to help him sign on somewhere in Europe. I need to try and email him and see if he will talk about it a bit more. I think we all get excited when we hear about incredible young US talent.

12. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    On another note, what happened to Gallardo? I can't imagine he'll stay unattached for too long, seems too talented to me.

13. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well done sir. Fire up the espn3.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a wild goose chase, to say the least.

This kid should graduate and then bolt for Germany or somewhere to that effect, ala Haji Wright. He's not tied to a club where he has upside, or even gets paid. But the flip-side of that is he'll have freedom to go wherever he pleases, and maybe if he makes an impression with the RailHawks, he gets a decent wage with his next club, and gets to keep all of it beyond agent fees.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he already has a plan in place close to what I was suggesting. He has obligations this summer with a German club. But he can't move there until he's 18, which happens next February. So if all goes well this summer, which if he's the real deal it will, he'll sign a pre-contract or have a verbal agreement with the mystery German club, but then just stay with the Railhawks until the winter. Then he'll move to Germany in February. I think he should just graduate here and then do it though. It's only a few more months to finish his high school education, then he could start in preseason overseas. Just my two cents.

It'll be interesting to hear the German club. He might be there right now because he stopped appearing in lineups for the Railhawks this month. Maybe BShredder or one of those cats can do some digging and write an article about it.

Bayer Leverkusen has claimed they badly want a dynamic American for marketing purposes. They should put their money where their mouth is. The way Sullivan was talking about him and his situation, I presume it won't be Greuther Furth.

18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    maybe wolfsburg or schalke?

19. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you mixing him up with Weston Mckennie? McKennie was said to have a mystery Bundesliga club trying to lure him away from FCD.