Sick of offsides rule!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SUDano, Sep 26, 2003.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I know I'll get beat up on this one. This thread is about the calling of the offsides rule during the game and not the rule itself. (We'll leave that for another time) I just watched the DC/NY tape and again I see wrong off sides calls and they are always in direct goal scoring situations. (Obviously because the nature of the offsides rule) My guess is 65-70% of calls are actually WRONG! But soccer fans and officials chalk it up as part of the game. Or they blame the ineptitude of the humans making the call. I don't. We are asking human being to accomplish something simply not humanly possible. #1-Determine the exact moment a ball touches a foot 35 yards away while his view is obscured my many large strong athletes #2-While determining the speed, direction AND location of many offensive and defensive players #3-While himself moving to keep inline with the last defender #4-Making an instantanious decision of about 20 variables #5-Then raise his flag or not raise a flag #6-Then dealing with the responses of 20 players, thousands of fans, and many more TV viewers. Simply pure insanity!
    I don't know the solution but it ain't what we got now.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then we're even, because I'm tired of imbeciles who claim to know something about soccer and yet refer to the offside rule as "offsides".

3. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001

One small error and you brand him an imbecile?!?!?!

Some justification, indeed!

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And I also left a space between off and sides at one point. You missed that one Bill. Any other miniscule points?

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    OK I'm and idiot and an imbecile. Got it.
    Any comments on the method or accuracy on the way offside (No s) is called and the frustration some of us have at it's possible frequent inaccuracy.

6. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    How is this for an idea, I think there should be a new rule. Soccer Coaches have 1 use of a play challenge like american football. Once the ball is out of play, a coach can challenge a call, whether it be offsides or a foul in the box that never occurred. A panel of referees watch the play on a screen, in various speeds. If a play is overturned, the challenging team either gets the goal if one was scored, or the ball is spotted where the mistake was made. This would solve a world of problems. It's actually not a bad idea at all.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, are you people on medication?

8. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your team lost the match. Right?

9. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    oh is that right? and how exactly is this idea stupid? explain.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's it! I do have back pain and take alot of ibruprofin. It's the medication that's making me frustrated at wrong offside (No S) calls. So let it be said. Mr. Archer and Mr. Segroves have no issue with method or accuracy of said offside call.

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry. I was mistaken.

It's YOU who are stupid. My bad.

12. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    when a bad referee call costs you a match, you need something like that to validate your outrage.

13. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001

Actually, on Big Soccer, the name "Mike Segroves" is synonymous with "imbecile."

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Actually no. Live far far away from both towns. Have no favorite team. That's why I posted. I just love the game but don't like the frustration of incorrect offside (No s) calls. I feel it adversely affects what is truly great about this game. Wanted to post to get it off my chest. Do you think they call'em just about right or get them significantly wrong.

15. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    oh, taking a personal shot out of a discussion about the game, that shows alot about the level of maturity you posess, its clear the only one thats stupid is you. And sure you'll reply with another personal shot, thats ok, but you'll only make yourself appear to be more of a dumba$$.

16. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    ha, thats a good one, i like your style.

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A psoitively absurd and indefensible statement.

What do you mean? Is there normally a crowd of Defensive linemen huddled around him? I don't know how somebody being "strong" obscures someone's view, but as for "large", unless you're standing behind Brad Friedel or something, you can see just fine.

Absurd.

The AR needs to "determine" the position of two players: the second to last defender and the object of the pass.

You're just not good at this soccer stuff, are you?

The AR is responsible for being in line with the SECOND to last defender.

The last defender is usually the keeper; most of the time you can stay even with him from a rocking chair.

List them for me, will you?

Boy, now THERE'S a chore. That goddam thing gets mighty heavy.

"Deal with" in what way?

The center sometimes has a guy or two in his face, but that's true of ANY call.

The crowds' reaction is not something you have to "deal with" in any meaningful way.

And I wish you'd tell me what the AR has to do to "deal with" the "reaction" of TV viewers.

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I'm thinking the stiletto heels are a little much for daytime; the skirt is just right though, and I love the pearls.

19. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    Everyone just shut up on the subject, its obvious Bill Archer has the game all figured out.

After 15 years of playing the game, and 3 semi professionally, i've never come across someone such as Bill Archer, a guy who has referee experience, a resume chock full of teams hes played for professionally, and a DISH satellite system that allows him to zoom in and witness the referees accurately calling the game, yes hes one of a kind.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Re: Re: Sick of offsides rule!

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that sarcasm of some kind or are you working out the essay portion of the entrance examination for Retard Academy?

Hey, I'm not the guy who suggested that we hire a panel of referees to review offside calls while 22 players stand around with their fingers up their butts for a few minutes.

While Larry, Curly and Moe rerun a videotape taken from a bad angle and second guess an official who was actually in the right place.

Maybe we can declare "potty breaks" for everyone while this is going on.

I'm certain that, with all your "semi-professiona;" (hahahahaha) experience, you know what a marvelous effect THAT would have on a match.

(Excuse me - "semi-professional" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry)

If this makes even a little sense to you, then you need to check yourself into a psych ward somewhere.

SEMI-PROFESSIONAL - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (pardon me)

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Sick of offsides rule!

23. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    i dont need to defend myself, you've probably never stepped foot on a pitch, and probably still have nightmares about what the football team did to you back in high school.

I however play the game, i know how sh!tty it feels to be screwed out of a goal, to be yanked down in the box and not get an obvious call, i've had goals called back when i was clearly onside, so when you stop dreaming of being like the guys you see on tv, and mature a few decades, come up with a better reply.

P.S. Bill, that was high school, what them boys did to you happened a long time ago, just black it out and move on with your life.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Mr. Archer you feel that by calling people names that you somehow affect others self-esteem. You are sadly mistaken. Could you take a moment and write an articulate and measured opinion on whether AR's either make predominately accurate offside (no s) calls (with s) or that they make predominately inaccurate calls. Is it possible that you may feel that they make a significant number of wrong calls but it's the best system we have or that you don't know or can not offer an opinion of any other method at this time. Please respond in kind.

25. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    No, we want you to go and find a board where people actually give two shytes about what you say. :)